MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

I'm still waiting for the Marlins' blue hat and blue jersey to be added to the rotation. Tubby's blue hat that he has would probably be one of the best hats in MLB if it was official.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlins color schemes have essentially gone like this...

93-95: Teal with black accents

96-02: 50/50 Teal and black

03-05: Black with teal accents

06-11: Black with less teal accents (while the in game uniforms were the same as 03-05, the BP jerseys were almost completely void of teal to the point that it was all black white and silver like the White Sox. I included this because the dropping of so much teal is a pretty significant change.)

12-present: Black and red-orange with ocean blue accents and an almost negligible yellow accent (Their yellow is much like the Yankees use of red)

People in Miami still wear a lot of black at night, and the multiple bright colors against the black has that "Miami nights" look to it, so I don't mind it. Black in the previous set didn't work.

I think if they wear it once on Fri, then it's fine. Wearing it multiple times a week, and during day games, doesn't look right to me.

I was on-board with the blue also, but they would look way too much like the Mets.

The Nats are wearing their primary white jerseys today. I don't follow the Nats extremely closely, but I can't remember the last time they didn't wear an alternate jersey for a weekend game, either home or road. I thought their trend was basically white/gray jerseys on weekdays, red alts on Sat/Sun, blue alts for special occasions and holidays.

I feel like it must have been years since I last saw them wear a white or gray jersey for a weekend game. Am I wrong? Or maybe they are trying out something different for superstitious reasons

EDIT: I am not referring to road Sat/Sun games where they had to wear gray because red would clash with the home team.

The Nats wore the white jerseys on a Sunday against the Dodgers earlier this season. They ditched the red jerseys because the heat index was well over 100 degrees.

Speaking of the Marlins, I haven't been paying attention to them enough to notice: how often have they worn the orange caps since unveiling them?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Speaking of the Marlins, I haven't been paying attention to them enough to notice: how often have they worn the orange caps since unveiling them?

About 4-5 times in 2012 (once with glorious orange undershirts and socks)

Not once in 2013

Twice in 2014

And none in 2015

Damn shame considering how good it looks and that it's always been one of their top selling pieces of merchandise. You see the caps all over the ballpark except for on the field itself.

People in Miami still wear a lot of black at night, and the multiple bright colors against the black has that "Miami nights" look to it, so I don't mind it. Black in the previous set didn't work.

I think if they wear it once on Fri, then it's fine. Wearing it multiple times a week, and during day games, doesn't look right to me.

I was on-board with the blue also, but they would look way too much like the Mets.

Your first paragraph sums up the use of black quite well.

This year they've gotten the use of the black jersey almost exactly right. They only use it once a week at home on Saturdays. On the road they've finally brought back the gray jersey almost exclusively and the black is used probably less than once on each road trip.

And yes the Mets use blue but the Marlins blue is a very different unique tone that no other team uses, which is why I think many fans want to see it brought out more. I don't think it should come before the black or orange but it could probably be emphasized a little more and would make a great alternate jersey and cap. If not that much, in my spare time I've drawn up a few tweaks to the home jerseys that pull in a little more of the blue and they look nice. I'll share them on here soon.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but 96-02 is their best uniform set by far

the_world_was_a_different_place_when_tit

gary-sheffield-1215.jpg

TAe9wL1.jpg

7-gary-sheffield-marlins-fire-sale.jpg

So good.

Completely agree. I feel like they struck the perfect balance with the colors in this set. I like the teal, don't get me wrong, I just think the '93 set just had a tad too much.

It also helps that set's case for me that the roadie is still one of my favorite individual uniforms ever. That "FLORIDA" wordmark....oh, so great. Man, I miss it.

Side (potentially unpopular) opinion while we're on the subject: I vastly prefer "Florida" over "Miami". "Florida Marlins" rolls off the tongue smoothly, "Miami Marlins" nearly ties my tongue. I don't think I'll ever like it for that reason.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

That Marlins set would have been perfect had that teal jerseys been a game jersey rather than just BP. I think a teal jersey thrown into the mix, and paired with a black hat, would satisfy the teal requirement after they dropped the teal caps in 1996. That being said, I absolutely loved the original road look with the teal/black hats.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The 50/50 teal/black Marlins were one of the greatest uniform sets/overall looks in baseball history IMO.. Dropping the Florida name for Miami was a huge hit to the brand, but ditching the teal, adding orange/various colors, abstract marlin were all worse in destroying that amazing look for the clown suits they wear now

I've never understood the "Los" thing in any situation. How many teams have "The" on their jerseys every day? Why can't the Reds just be Rojos? While we're at it, why can't the Reds just replace "Reds" in the wishbone C-Reds logo with "Rojos", and put the script jerseys (English, Spanish, Irish, and whatever else) in a pile and burn them?

Note to other franchises - this is how you do an hispanic heritage jersey

COwHEcsUsAA8xxQ_zpsv1fevgou.jpg

no "Los" to be found. Interesting that they used their old outlining method of placing teal right next to navy.

Agreed. If you're going to do it, I always liked the Brewers' approach over the Mets'.

Not to mention that it looks so much better than the Mariners' current outlining. But I can't see that jersey without hearing Richie Valens in my head... ;)

Not to mention that it looks so much better than the Mariners' current outlining.

Gotta disagree with that. I think their new outline looks way better, especially in action. With the old outlining the green was barely visible, and their look as a whole looked like navy (which we don't need more of) with small touches of silver and green (which we could use more of). Basically, their uniforms looked too boring, and they did a terrible job of emphasizing their more unique colors (which a lot of teams need to work on).

The new outlines, while not drastically different from before, help the green stand out much more because it "stands on its own" instead of "hiding" and blending in with the navy like in the old outlining.

More visible and emphasized green on MLB uniorms, at least at this point in time, is always welcome.

Note to other franchises - this is how you do an hispanic heritage jersey

COwHEcsUsAA8xxQ_zpsv1fevgou.jpg

no "Los" to be found. Interesting that they used their old outlining method of placing teal right next to navy.

Only the Mets and Dbacks, IIRC, are the only team to use "LOS" for Spanish heritage jerseys, so your emotions should really be directed only to them. All other teams who have done it have done it correctly.

And they probably have the old font for this Mariners jersey because they are reusing whatever they had from years past.

Go A's!

Archived