MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Note to other franchises - this is how you do an hispanic heritage jersey

COwHEcsUsAA8xxQ_zpsv1fevgou.jpg

no "Los" to be found. Interesting that they used their old outlining method of placing teal right next to navy.

Only the Mets and Dbacks, IIRC, are the only team to use "LOS" for Spanish heritage jerseys, so your emotions should really be directed only to them. All other teams who have done it have done it correctly.

And they probably have the old font for this Mariners jersey because they are reusing whatever they had from years past.

Astros and Reds, too.

spacer.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Note to other franchises - this is how you do an hispanic heritage jersey

COwHEcsUsAA8xxQ_zpsv1fevgou.jpg

no "Los" to be found. Interesting that they used their old outlining method of placing teal right next to navy.

Only the Mets and Dbacks, IIRC, are the only team to use "LOS" for Spanish heritage jerseys, so your emotions should really be directed only to them. All other teams who have done it have done it correctly.

And they probably have the old font for this Mariners jersey because they are reusing whatever they had from years past.

Astros and Reds, too.

Ah yes of course. Them too.

Go A's!

And "Los Rangers".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As bad as "Los" looks, not sure how many of you are Spanish speakers but Mets, DBacks, and Marlins don't have specific Spanish translations. So I don't know too many other solutions to the Hispanic jersey dilemma besides eliminating them completely... which is a whole other discussion in itself.

for the marlins, couldnt you use aguja

the other two, yeah

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

As bad as "Los" looks, not sure how many of you are Spanish speakers but Mets, DBacks, and Marlins don't have specific Spanish translations. So I don't know too many other solutions to the Hispanic jersey dilemma besides eliminating them completely... which is a whole other discussion in itself.

It makes no difference whether an established translation exists. I doubt that anyone had ever called the Brewers "i Birrai" before the team wore this jersey:

2qtadsz.jpg

The team's management simply found the word in the target language for the concept that they wished to express. The Diamondbacks and Marlins surely can do the same thing with respect to Spanish.

Regarding the Mets, the obvious Spanish version of the name is "Metropolitanos", as used by this article, which says in its sub-head, "La historia de los Metropolitanos incluye páginas inolvidables de partidos que se fueron a extra innings", "The history of the Mets includes unforgettable pages on games that went to extra innings". (Anticipating the objection: I say that they can make it fit on the jersey.)

Let us note that English-language media often use English-language versions of Latin American team names:

Cangrejeros de Santurce - Santurce Crabbers
Águilas Cibaeñas - Cibao Eagles
Tigres del México - Mexico City Tigers
Diablos Rojos del México - Mexico City Reds or Mexico City Red Devils

So clearly Major League Baseball should have jerseys that say "Tigres", "Rojos", "Reales", etc. And, over in the NBA: "Toros", "Calor", "Soles", etc.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

the other two, yeah

Aguja? Like, a needle?

Do MLB teams still do the Hispanic jerseys anymore? I feel like its been years since I've seen it done. And if it has been done, I think its been even longer since I've seen the "Los" jerseys for any team.

Regarding the Mariners outlining:

I attended a game a few weeks ago (Iwakuma's no-hitter, actually. Good game to go to! :D), and I must say the outlining in action did not look very good. Seeing the jerseys up close at team stores as well as on the video screen and on the players in action, it all looked cluttered and the colors were a bit competitive with each other. It would seem a break-up between the navy and real would prevent that, but I found the silver and teal (being of equal weight) fighting for my eyes' attention. I could see the teal more naturally when it's against the navy somehow.

It really is a personal preference, as I'm sure others may be able to see the teal better with the silver breaking it up from the navy. But for me, I prefer the previous outlining after seeing it up close.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

It makes more sense for the Mets to do Nueva York than Los Metropolitanos since, according to the team and its style guide, the official Hispanic name is Los Mets de Nueva York.

Let us also note that English-speaking media don't always translate foreign team names. Real Madrid has never been listed in English print media as Royal Madrid.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That's my reason as well. The ligh

I attended a game a few weeks ago (Iwakuma's no-hitter, actually. Good game to go to! :D), and I must say the outlining in action did not look very good. Seeing the jerseys up close at team stores as well as on the video screen and on the players in action, it all looked cluttered and the colors were a bit competitive with each other. It would seem a break-up between the navy and real would prevent that, but I found the silver and teal (being of equal weight) fighting for my eyes' attention. I could see the teal more naturally when it's against the navy somehow.

It really is a personal preference, as I'm sure others may be able to see the teal better with the silver breaking it up from the navy. But for me, I prefer the previous outlining after seeing it up close.

That's my sense as well. Dark/light/dark outlines almost always end up too busy, fighting for attention and decreasing legibility.

I had the same reaction when Cleveland went from this wordmark:

77766a_lg.jpeg

to this one:

7903b_lg.jpeg

It makes more sense for the Mets to do Nueva York than Los Metropolitanos since, according to the team and its style guide, the official Hispanic name is Los Mets de Nueva York.

Let us also note that English-speaking media don't always translate foreign team names. Real Madrid has never been listed in English print media as Royal Madrid.

Yes, but let's discount soccer since the fans are used to eating plates-full of crap in terms of uniforms. It's a few recognizable colors and then giant advertisers logos. But if Real Madrid had some kind of wordmark on their chests, and slapped a "The" in front of it for English heritage night, I'm sure people would get ticked off about that. It's just half assed pandering.

Some Spanish-speaking fans in America use the team names, and some use the Spanish translation. However, it makes sense to do a translated jersey if you're doing this promotion. It's saying "we're bringing the team to you - displaying the name in your language." It at least is a nice nod and shows a bit of effort to say "this is how you say it in Spanish." Slapping a "the" in front of it is insulting one's intelligence.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

the other two, yeah

Aguja? Like, a needle?

Do MLB teams still do the Hispanic jerseys anymore? I feel like its been years since I've seen it done. And if it has been done, I think its been even longer since I've seen the "Los" jerseys for any team.

Literally happened on Friday night. That's why we're talking about this.

The Reds not only wear a Los Rojos jersey this season, but they wear a special jersey that's different from their regular jerseys.

That's my reason as well. The ligh

That's my sense as well. Dark/light/dark outlines almost always end up too busy, fighting for attention and decreasing legibility.

I had the same reaction when Cleveland went from this wordmark:

77766a_lg.jpeg

to this one:

7903b_lg.jpeg

yeah, but you have a strong distate for keylines in general. At least that's the pattern I've noticed in regards to your taste. In the Indians case I agree with you, but I prefer the new Mariners wordmarks, especially on the road.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm not always opposed to keylines. There are times when they make a logo look much better, and times when they don't.

But I'm almost always opposed to multiple outlines. Usually because teams insist on putting the lightest color one between darker colors, and that looks like garbage.

It does? I think more often than not it looks smashing. Creates more contrast, allows all three colors to work together.

examples:

reebok-white-mens-tj-oshie-st-louis-bluemark-brunell-jags.jpg

If anything, I want to see the Mariners take it a step further and flip flop teal and navy so teal is the base of the number with navy being the outline.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It does? I think more often than not it looks smashing. Creates more contrast, allows all three colors to work together.

examples:

reebok-white-mens-tj-oshie-st-louis-blue

You say "work together", I say "clash". ;)

I don't think there's any argument that it makes the numbers less legible, especially the shoulder numbers, by obscuring the edges and making the interior of numbers like that "4" less distinct. Now, you can say the decrease in legibility isn't significant, and there we'll have to agree to disagree again. But I'd rather avoid it altogether.

But what's the alternative in that case? You limit every team to only using two colors in their pallete? Teams like the Blues can have 3 colors, but their numbers have to leave one out? In some cases that looks worse*. Does this also apply to stripes? Does the yellow "clash" between the two blues on that sleeve stripe? Because to me it would look worse to have numbers with the exposed yellow touching white when it's blocked in on the stripes. That inconsistency would be more jarring than any illegibility issue cause by a double outline on the number, which yeah I'm not really getting.

The Jaguars in the 90's looked far better when they used 3 color numbers than they did with the late reebok uniforms that were just teal outlined with black. Stripping the gold off the uniform and out of the numbers made for an incredibly bland uniform and it helped contribute to a major loss in character.

*I played against a high school team that wore Blues templates with only a single outline on the numbers (yellow on white on the blues, blue on yellow for the whites), but it looked cheap and worse than the Blues approach to numbers. Like they didn't want to spring for a third layer of twill, which is true.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived