MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Mets changes:

Pinstripe jersey goes from cream to white, becomes primary home jersey. Pinstripe-less white is no more.

Add road alt cap -- blue with grey NY outlined in orange -- to be worn with blue alt road jersey. Regular cap still worn with greys.

Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/96099/mets-tweak-uniforms-for-2015?ex_cid=espnapi_public

So they get rid of the beautiful snow white uniforms, but keep the ugly camo. Fail.

Because #wesupportthethetroops

You are being sarcastic right? Because I think a better way to actually show support is to not play dress up as army men or at the very least not whore off people's patriotism by selling that look to fans for your own filthy profit instead of, oh I dunno, donating the money made to military servers and their families? What the Mets, Reds and Padres do is all PR and profit and little substance to actually helping those people, the exact opposite of what it should be.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mets changes:

Pinstripe jersey goes from cream to white, becomes primary home jersey. Pinstripe-less white is no more.

Add road alt cap -- blue with grey NY outlined in orange -- to be worn with blue alt road jersey. Regular cap still worn with greys.

Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/96099/mets-tweak-uniforms-for-2015?ex_cid=espnapi_public

So they get rid of the beautiful snow white uniforms, but keep the ugly camo. Fail.

Obviously the camo jersey is riduculous. But I say you're wrong about the plain white uniforms. The white unis always looked wrong on the Mets; they have been a pinstriped team since their beginning. It's nice that they have corrected the errors of the 1990s and 2000s and have ditched those things which do not fit what the Mets should look like: the black, the drop-shadow, and now the plain white uniforms.

I had read a rumour that said that they were restoring the cap button to blue. I am a little disappointed to read that that is not the case. The cap looks better as a solid blue with nothing breaking it up.

Still, despite that, this is another step in the right direction for the Mets.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Mets changes:

Here's the link:

Obviously the camo jersey is riduculous. But I say you're wrong about the plain white uniforms. The white unis always looked wrong on the Mets; they have been a pinstriped team since their beginning. It's nice that they have corrected the errors of the 1990s and 2000s and have ditched those things which do not fit what the Mets should look like: the black, the drop-shadow, and now the plain white uniforms.

I had read a rumour that said that they were restoring the cap button to blue. I am a little disappointed to read that that is not the case. The cap looks better as a solid blue with nothing breaking it up.

Yet they're creating errors far worse.

Mets changes:

Here's the link:

Not really. The new caps are annoying; I agree with The Old Roman that they should have one cap for all games. But the new alt caps aren't as egregious a break with the Mets' traditional look as the white uniforms were.

Apart from that, the only errors are the alt jerseys, which almost all teams have (and which no team needs). But at least those are aesthetically pleasing.

While the Mets are not in the perfect two-uniform / one-cap state, they are as close to that as they are ever going to get. Their current look is excellent, despite the flaws of the unneccesary alts and the ridiculous camo.

Mets changes:

Here's the link:

On field errors.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Mets changes:

Here's the link:

Not really. The new caps are annoying; I agree with The Old Roman that they should have one cap for all games. But the new alt caps aren't as egregious a break with the Mets' traditional look as the white uniforms were.

Apart from that, the only errors are the alt jerseys, which almost all teams have (and which no team needs). But at least those are aesthetically pleasing.

While the Mets are not in the perfect two-uniform / one-cap state, they are as close to that as they are ever going to get. Their current look is excellent, despite the flaws of the unneccesary alts and the ridiculous camo.

At least the white uniform looks good. The outlined NY logo is terrible, the logo itself is already a little cluttered as is so adding an outline makes it a complete mess. Also the new road hat is just terrible, it's basically gonna look like a thick grey logo with a random orange button. Awful.

You can't just brush off the alts because they're alts. They're still being worn in regular season games, fairly often in fact, and while MLB is plagued with crappy unnecessary alts that doesn't magically make it right for the Mets to do it. Also they have three alternates, more than most teams. And you certainly can't say they're all aesthetically pleasing. Yes the home alternate looks great when not paired with the terrible alt hat but the road is unnecessary and a big downgrade, and the camo uniform is simply HIDEOUS.

And just because the Mets are obviously never gonna go back to a normal amount of uniforms and hats absolute does not, in anyway mean we still can't complain how bad it looks. They look excellent when they wear the right uniforms and hat, but that's no excuse for looking like crap a lot of the time.

The Mets probably do have too many hats now (although I think I like the new one), but I'll take it now that the pinstripes aren't cream and the snow white jerseys are finally gone. The camo look is hideous and needs to go too, but at least it's only worn a handful of times.

The Mets probably do have too many hats now (although I think I like the new one), but I'll take it now that the pinstripes aren't cream and the snow white jerseys are finally gone. The camo look is hideous and needs to go too, but at least it's only worn a handful of times.

Will you still be saying that if a Met throws a perfect game or something historic like that in those abominations? You don't think Johan Santana's no-hitter wouldn't be a bit less fun to look back on if he did it in head to belt dirty looking digitalized camouflage instead of, I dunno, a real Mets uniform?

I want the camouflage jerseys gone as much as anyone. But given today's sing God Bless America during games or the terrorists win environment, I wasn't expecting them to go anywhere.

If they are worn as sparingly as they were last year and not promoted to "full-time alternates" if there's such a thing then today is a net positive for the Mets.

Mets changes:

Here's the link:

At least the white uniform looks good. The outlined NY logo is terrible, the logo itself is already a little cluttered as is so adding an outline makes it a complete mess. Also the new road hat is just terrible, it's basically gonna look like a thick grey logo with a random orange button. Awful.

You can't just brush off the alts because they're alts. They're still being worn in regular season games, fairly often in fact, and while MLB is plagued with crappy unnecessary alts that doesn't magically make it right for the Mets to do it. Also they have three alternates, more than most teams. And you certainly can't say they're all aesthetically pleasing. Yes the home alternate looks great when not paired with the terrible alt hat but the road is unnecessary and a big downgrade, and the camo uniform is simply HIDEOUS.

And just because the Mets are obviously never gonna go back to a normal amount of uniforms and hats absolute does not, in anyway mean we still can't complain how bad it looks. They look excellent when they wear the right uniforms and hat, but that's no excuse for looking like crap a lot of the time.

I am the last guy to be an apologist for alts; teams should have *a* home uniform and *a* road uniform. (The fact that this position can be taken as extreme is a sign of the warped norms of our current day.) And the fans should indeed complain about the presence of alts, especially about that terrible camo one.

Still, we have to be realistic; the Mets will never be rid of alt uniforms entirely. So the best we can hope for is that these alts don't disrupt the overall aesthetic of the team the way the black jerseys and the white uniforms did. The blue home and road alt jerseys, while unneccesary, are very attractive in their own right. No, they shouldn't be worn on the field; and, yes, they are worn far too often. But they are well executed, with orange-on-white lettering on the home jersey and grey-on-orange lettering on the road jersey.

Also, hats can be phased out during a season; we've seen any number of cases of that. So we can hope that the alt caps prove to be unpopular with the players and that they are ultimately abandoned. This is admittedly a longshot; but it is at least within the realm of reality -- unlike the complete abandonment of alt jerseys.

Mets changes:

Here's the link:

Because #wesupportthethetroops
You are being sarcastic right? Because I think a better way to actually show support is to not play dress up as army men or at the very least not whore off people's patriotism by selling that look to fans for your own filthy profit instead of, oh I dunno, donating the money made to military servers and their families? What the Mets, Reds and Padres do is all PR and profit and little substance to actually helping those people, the exact opposite of what it should be.

I am definitely being sarcastic. It is pure exploitation on the part of leagues and teams.

Because of the tweet Chris sent out, does anyone else think the Mets' minor change could be the logo to the citibank center?

That seems too minor to be tweet-worthy, but I doubt the change is anything more than either a patch or a tweak to one of the alts.

Maybe they're eliminating one of their six (including the poopouflage) uniforms? I wouldn't be surprised to see the snow white alt get the axe.

Called it.

Most will probably disagree but if they feel the need to have an alternate hat for the road blues why not a grey crown/blue bill cap like the royals wore in the late 90s?

Because that flavor of the month fad died in the 90's and with players wearing the pyjama look that would be head to toe grey.

The Mets can't leave well enough alone. After finally looking like the Mets again a few years back, they are already messing things up. I'm surprised the Mets pulled the plug on the snow whites. I know some people thought those were the best home jerseys to distance themselves from the Yankees, but it always seemed wrong to me to lose the stripes after wearing them for 50+ years and winning two championships in them. Either way, I'm glad they made a call and settled on one home jersey.

As for the rest of this, blergh. They should have one cap for games. The road alternate cap is bad and unnecessary (as is the matching jersey), the home alternate cap is awful, and they need to lose the camo. Maybe worst of all, they will have one set of batting helmets. Assuming they'll wear alts on the road close to half the time, and accounting for them wearing home alts and camo bunches, the Mets will probably have helmets that don't match their caps most games. That's inexcusable.

I can live with dropping the whites. Just eliminate the road alt jersey and cap, eliminate the home alt cap, and drop camos permanently. They just can't keep from messing up and bastardizing their look.

I really wish this was on more people's radars. Helmets really ought to be "hard" versions of the hats. Teams should never have them differ, particularly with base coaches wearing helmets. (I suppose they'd differ on stars/stripes days, which I don't think should exist, but that's a lost battle). That way teams would have, at most, two on-field caps. That, and the BP cap really should be enough.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Have we heard anything further regarding Diamond Era caps for primaries?

The AFL's FO is saying the Diamond Era caps will be the MLB primaries in 2015. Don't know if that will end up being the case but they seemed pretty sure of it.

where did you read or hear this at? very curious!

Archived