MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I really like this new Mariners set!

The wordmark tweaks look cleaner, in my opinion. I just don't like how there's so many outlines on the NOB, as I think they should just be blue.

That new alternate is a stunner. The blue and yellow looks really nice on cream and the hat looks amazing. A nice blend of the current Mariners identity and an identity from their past.

I'm certainly a fan of this look.

BEHANCE | PORTFOLIO 

Those would be a

Quick "less is more" mock up for the cap...

SBlue.jpg

Looks like a hat from Eastbound & Down.

In fact, here is Kenny Powers wearing a Seattle hat that tries to prove "Less is more."

ed-pilot1.png

Right there is so much better than what they did. I'd take that look in a heartbeat.
The whole minimalist movement is crazy to me.

In general designers should strive to create the best design with the minimal amount of elements. The more elements (outlines, double outlines, drop shadows, etc.) the more cluttered the look and ultimately the less successful the design. More often than not, feeling the need to double out line or add a drop shadow is a sign that the original solution isn't well done in the first place. There, of course, are always exceptions to the rule and too simple can be bad/boring, etc. but in general to me the cleaner the design solution, the better the design, and the more timeless the design.

Reminds me of their TBtC 1909 faux-back, which I love:

2369d_USATSI_7322818.jpg

(not the most flattering model, but what can ya do)

I'm obvs a Seattle sports fan, but I've stopped caring about the Mariners after a childhood that saw them let go of and Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr., and A-Rod, and then as a young adult seeing them give the Yankees Ichiro and Michael Pineda too (seriously, why do we have to give all our legends to the team that kept us out of the World Series the only two seasons we had a shot at it?). It's cool that Félix Hernández is one of the best pitchers in the world, and hey we almost made the playoffs this past season, but I can only deal with so much futility.

I've always thought the Mariners had blah uniforms. Blue and green is a unique Seattle thing, but I never felt like they did enough with them. Maybe I just don't like how restrained baseball uniforms are (Seattle's TAtC might be my favorites). I'm not a fan of the cream color, but other than that I like the Sunday Home alt. The main reason I wanted to post here, though, is because of the changes to their regular home & aways:

mariners-script-compare.png

We finally realized that dark should be outside of light in an outline! It only took us 22 years!

Thanks for posting the comparison pics - great update!

Sure you could. Just as you can see the navy next to the red. Neither needed a pointless light outline in the middle to muddy the look.

Navy and red have contrast. Teal and navy have very little contrast. The gray jersey benefits the most with the updated mark...as now you can actually see the teal.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The fauxback is awful, but I like the other changes the Mariners made.

Same here. I'm cautiously optimistic on the outline tweaks, though the three-layer condensed block they're using now is the same one the White Sox use on their black jerseys and it has a lot of weird-looking letters in it. I imagine trying to use the NOB lettering from the alts would have been a nightmare.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sure you could. Just as you can see the navy next to the red. Neither needed a pointless light outline in the middle to muddy the look.

F%C3%A9lix_Hern%C3%A1ndez_on_May_11,_201

The teal us barely visible next to navy.

Cleveland did not need to change. Seattle can bebefit from this change.

Until I saw this photo, I never knew there was teal around the wordmark

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

Archived