MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Regarding the Padres, I don't think there's a stronger candidate for "nailed it the first time, but crapped it all away".

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1969.jpg

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they deviated from this (and relatively quick, too). It was, in my opinion, an infinitely better uniform than anything they've worn since. It was a shame that the uniforms sort of "devolved" from a sharp, classy set to the definition of gaudy and overbearing in the late 70's-early 80's.

I feel like, save for the colors, the Padres came really close to having a great uniform with their latest set. I really especially love the double piping and the overall classic look. If the Padres were to keep that idea and interchange everything that is navy and sand with brown and gold, I feel like we're looking at the new best uniform in Padres history.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the Padres, I don't think there's a stronger candidate for "nailed it the first time, but crapped it all away".

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they deviated from this (and relatively quick, too). It was, in my opinion, an infinitely better uniform than anything they've worn since. It was a shame that the uniforms sort of "devolved" from a sharp, classy set to the definition of gaudy and overbearing in the late 70's-early 80's.

I feel like, save for the colors, the Padres came really close to having a great uniform with their latest set. I really especially love the double piping and the overall classic look. If the Padres were to keep that idea and interchange everything that is navy and sand with brown and gold, I feel like we're looking at the new best uniform in Padres history.

I'm guessing you've already seen it, and maybe it was just reposted recently (sorry, I didn't check), but someone on this site recently posted a gorgeous concept that is basically exactly what you described. Seeing that concept is what really got me on board with bringing back brown and yellow.

wpefl13.jpg

I think the Marlins give them a run for their money

I've wanted a polyester version of that hat for a long time. I'm getting one without a doubt.

Yeah, I've got the one that they've always stocked in the Cooperstown series (so it's wool, and has the New Era flag on the side)... now tempted to double up just to have a version for the summer months.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I've posted this before, but something like this would be the perfect modernization of their 1969 look, IMO:

wsRAb8w.png

Ooh boy, that's pretty nice. I think I prefer the solid brown cap over the paneled cap myself, but this is still really nice and would look great on the field. I like the vest look as well.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Lights Out, how'd you get such a nice matching Padres script?

I kind of like it, but I don't like the vests, nor do I think the color scheme matches the modern numbers. But brown/yellow Padres would be my #2 preference beyond keeping navy/sand/sky and getting it right.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've wanted a polyester version of that hat for a long time. I'm getting one without a doubt.

Yeah, I've got the one that they've always stocked in the Cooperstown series (so it's wool, and has the New Era flag on the side)... now tempted to double up just to have a version for the summer months.
Mickey's Place has the non-NE logo creep version, along with pretty much every other hat (or branded kippah) you'd want.

These would look worlds better with a number on the front. Very imbalanced as-is.

Edit: Also very nice attention to detail with the gray underside of the bill.

Actually, these uniforms' caps had green undersides of bills.

33351-6Fr.jpg

The Padres, along with most other teams, adopted gray undersides of bills in the early-mid 90s (with their navy and orange duds).

Anyway, I don't think this is a good look for the Padres. The whole reason they got away from orange and dark brown was so that they wouldn't look like Giants clones. I remember as a kid growing up in the late 80s/early 90s that the Padres always seemed like Giants wannabees, from their colors to their cap logo to their overall look.

The Padres need their own look.

The answer is simple: Brown and yellow, done tastefully.

Yes, and yellow provides more contrast to brown. Brown and orange are too similar to properly contrast. That jersey and cap font, but with yellow and a number on the front, would be good.

I don't know if brown and orange are too similar. I can see the orange just fine - I think the orange contrasts rather well with the brown. Which is why orange helmets, brown jerseys work for the Cleveland Browns.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Much better for the Blue Jays, though I think if they are going to make it so similar to the normal sets, they should use the same trim. Unless I'm mistaken, the normal ones don't have the collar trim and have a double sleeve trim.

I've posted this before, but something like this would be the perfect modernization of their 1969 look, IMO:

wsRAb8w.png

That would be great. I'd prefer a solid brown cap and no vests, but brown and yellow (without orange) is the way to go.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Because nobody should wear the TATC's.

And I'm personally torn on the Diamondbacks. The purple and teal are a great look (I bought the throwback hat with the white crown), but I really like the "sedona" shade of red (I bought a red shirt).

They do need to replace the "D-Backs" script and use the D snake logo less though.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived