MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Random thought... MLB, from what I've found, has the most amount of teams using "roundel" style logos between either primaries or secondaries. Interesting note, Almost every team, including ones who don't have them currently, has had one in their existence. I've also put the teams at the bottom that currently do not have a roundel logo in use. The ones shown below show which teams do have at least 1 in their set as of today, and the ones that do not as well. Just found this interesting, and thought I would share. Seems the trend is catching on with other sports as well, but MLB seems to be the one that set the trend.

Has "roundel":

Nationals

Giants

Padres

Pirates

Mets

Brewers

Dodgers

Cubs

Braves

Blue Jays

Rangers

Mariners

A's

Yankees

Twins

Angels

Astros

Red Sox

Orioles

Does not have "roundel" currently:

Cardinals

Rockies

Reds

DBacks

Rays

Royals

Tigers

Indians

White Sox

If I'm wrong on any of this, feel free to correct me (C&C...).

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd consider a roundel half-assedly slapping a cap logo in a circle/over a baseball with words around it. I don't consider the Cubs logo a roundel, per se. I think it's just a circular logo. Same with the Mets, Yankees and Blue Jays. The Blue Jays logo is debatable, I don't consider it a roundel because it's based off a classic logo that kept the baseball with the bird head even when the letters were removed. But having a baseball in a circle for no other reason than you don't want blank space? Yeah. That blows.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Agreed. Those aren't roundels, but simply round logos. I think "roundel" means a circle with text around a logo.

I'm not even sure I'd count the Brewers in that, considering that the circle is a background element behind an oversized wordmark. I hate that logo, but I don't consider it a roundel.

Padres wearing the brown and orange 80's uniforms and they look really good.

Doesn't look bad at all in the mostly-blue Petco Park, either. No reason for them to not be in brown and gold.

These brown and orange unis look great even in 2015. Better than the generic navy and white. And they really don't look anything like the Giants either, though they were sort of-similar back in the 80s.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Random thought... MLB, from what I've found, has the most amount of teams using "roundel" style logos between either primaries or secondaries. Interesting note, Almost every team, including ones who don't have them currently, has had one in their existence. I've also put the teams at the bottom that currently do not have a roundel logo in use. The ones shown below show which teams do have at least 1 in their set as of today, and the ones that do not as well. Just found this interesting, and thought I would share. Seems the trend is catching on with other sports as well, but MLB seems to be the one that set the trend.

Has "roundel":

Nationals

Giants

Padres

Pirates

Mets

Brewers

Dodgers

Cubs

Braves

Blue Jays

Rangers

Mariners

A's

Yankees

Twins

Angels

Astros

Red Sox

Orioles

Does not have "roundel" currently:

Cardinals

Rockies

Reds

DBacks

Rays

Royals

Tigers

Indians

White Sox

If I'm wrong on any of this, feel free to correct me (C&C...).

Phillies and one other team are missing

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Tigers shouldn't use orange at all. I think they looked their best in 1934.

FE9Dfmq.gif

No way. We already have one boring-ass-by-default gray and navy team in the Yankees, but they at least have reason to be as such. We also have the half-assing-it Rays and Padres, who have secondary colors but completely forgo them on the road unis. If the Tigers had never used orange on the road, I wouldn't be calling for them to add it. However, dropping it on the road would be to the detriment of their look. It's a shame the Tigers couldn't have incorporated orange into their home jerseys, too, back in the day. I think it would make them much better. That being said, it's far to late to change them now, as well.

The Rays have the same amount of Columbia Blue on the head and the road, no?

x2qctly3mgplt6we9nxvnsow8.gif

Padres wearing the brown and orange 80's uniforms and they look really good.

Doesn't look bad at all in the mostly-blue Petco Park, either. No reason for them to not be in brown and gold.

Can't tell if sarcasm or not.

spacer.png

spacer.png

4sla44.jpg

There is a very small sample size of teams that have never had a round logo, whether or a roundel or just circular. (I'm not counting the ovoid Rays logo, just circles.)

I wasn't certain whether or not to count the Brewers logo shown here as a roundel, as the words are not in the circular band.

The pale slate blue is times when I had to dip into alternate logos to get the roundel.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Tigers shouldn't use orange at all. I think they looked their best in 1934.

FE9Dfmq.gif

No way. We already have one boring-ass-by-default gray and navy team in the Yankees, but they at least have reason to be as such. We also have the half-assing-it Rays and Padres, who have secondary colors but completely forgo them on the road unis. If the Tigers had never used orange on the road, I wouldn't be calling for them to add it. However, dropping it on the road would be to the detriment of their look. It's a shame the Tigers couldn't have incorporated orange into their home jerseys, too, back in the day. I think it would make them much better. That being said, it's far to late to change them now, as well.

The Rays have the same amount of Columbia Blue on the head and the road, no?

x2qctly3mgplt6we9nxvnsow8.gif

Yeah, they stupidly underuse light blue on the home and navy jerseys, too. My point is they have a third color, which is pretty unique in baseball and would further distinguish them from other teams, yet they barely use it. Put a light blue outline on the names and numbers for the home/road jerseys and they go from bland to somewhat interesting. Make the navy numbers on the navy jersey light blue and it goes from "unmitigated crap" to really good.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Setting aside the general uselessness of internet polls, that one is particularly unhelpful.

"Unsatisfactory" could mean two directly opposite things; "That's too many games in brown uniforms" and "That's not enough games in brown uniforms."

SB Nation is the worst.

"Satisfactory" is about the worst possible word that could have been used. It really was an impressive setting of the "worthless" bar for internet polls.

To you point, I love the uniform, but I don't think once a week satisfies.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Padres looked great today but the hat kind of stinks. At least on TV, you can't make out the SD. It just blends together with the brown. If they bring that look back, they should put a white border around the orange.

I thought the hats looked fine. Conversely, the brown on the helmets seemed way lighter than I remember.

At the risk of a temporary thread derailment, poorly-designed polls annoy me, too. One hypothetical example would be:

Like It 35%

Don't Like It 15%

Hate It 15%

Hate It With A Passion 20%

Hate It More Than Anything In The World 15%

Based on those results, "Like It" is winning the poll.

Archived