MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Interesting idea making the rounds -- asking the Orioles to wear "Baltimore" on their home uniforms when they return home on May 11th (IIRC). I'm curious to see if it gains any traction.

Why? People should be embarrassed about the way they acted, not be rewarded.

It made sense when the Red Sox did it, because Bostonian's actually banded together, they didn't destroy the city.

This. If anything they should wear the alt black or orange on the road since it says "Orioles" and not Baltimore.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting idea making the rounds -- asking the Orioles to wear "Baltimore" on their home uniforms when they return home on May 11th (IIRC). I'm curious to see if it gains any traction.

It made sense when the Red Sox did it, because Bostonian's actually banded together, they didn't destroy the city.

This. If anything they should wear the alt black or orange on the road since it says "Orioles" and not Baltimore.

LOL. It would be funny and pathetic if, after returning the Baltimore script following a 30-something year absence, they went back to "Orioles" on the roads because they wanted to downplay the city.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

LOL. It would be funny and pathetic if, after returning the Baltimore script following a 30-something year absence, they went back to "Orioles" on the roads because they wanted to downplay the city.

Wasn't the city name absence a way to try and get fans from DC as well?

Anubis.png

Yeah, they stupidly underuse light blue on the home and navy jerseys, too. My point is they have a third color, which is pretty unique in baseball and would further distinguish them from other teams, yet they barely use it. Put a light blue outline on the names and numbers for the home/road jerseys and they go from bland to somewhat interesting. Make the navy numbers on the navy jersey light blue and it goes from "unmitigated crap" to really good.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was just wondering why you said the Rays were lacking on the road specifically, when the road has as much as the home. Yeah, they could stand to spread around the columbia blue a little more, maybe a full-time bill on the cap. Honestly, given the way the lighter color could easily blend into nothingness against white or maybe even gray, it couldn't be piping or striping on its own. I'm unsure how to use it as anything but an accent color without replacing navy as the primary color. I think this would be a mistake because I think it works well as a secondary color to navy.

Is the whole plaid thing still a thing down there? Honestly, when they were nobody, that was the thing that was most unique about them, and I really wish they'd incorporated it into their identity more. Not necessarily their uniforms, but it would have given them a little more uniqueness.

I was referring specifically to the Tigers going just gray and navy on the road, so I only mentioned the Padres and Rays road sets, which borrow from the Yankees in just having navy numbers with white outlines, despite the fact that both teams have perfectly acceptable accent colors they could use in lieu of white on the road set.

Also, I don't think Columbia blue would blend much against white, and definitely not against gray. Think of the Mariners' set before they F'd it up this year. The complaint was that the teal disappeared against the navy, not the white/gray. Columbia blue is lighter than teal, so it won't blend with navy. I don't think it would blend with white, either. Regardless, that's the perfect place to use it. It's an outline, and the current outline is white against a white jersey. It's nothing. So if they switch the outline to Columbia blue, at very worst the jersey will look like it does now. At best, it'll look lots better for incorporating a vibrant color.

Ah... I understand what you were gettin' at.

Huh. Never noticed the outline on the homes. I don't think that columbia and teal can be comparable in this instance because I think the teal is dark while the columbia is light. While teal blends into navy easily when small, columbia is more apt to blend into white. You're right about the effect in the end, though. It wouldn't make a difference as it'd end up being the same as it looks now.

Not sure about that one. Self-inflicted tragedies aren't quite the same as oustside attacks or natural disasters.

"Let's burn down our city and then have a city pride movement" rings a little hollow.

Baltimore was torn about by a bad situation. There are many ways to look at the situation as it happened, but in the end, as people now joyously party in the streets, I don't think the entire city of Baltimore needs to be condemned for what happened. If they want to show a strong and united front as a city, I agree with the move.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure about that one. Self-inflicted tragedies aren't quite the same as oustside attacks or natural disasters.

"Let's burn down our city and then have a city pride movement" rings a little hollow.

Cops kill a kid, rioters burn down a pharmacy, and a nation mourns the pharmacy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Cops kill a kid, rioters burn down a pharmacy, and a nation mourns the pharmacy.

The O's should wear a patch for the CVS, or go all out and wear a jersey that pays tribute to CVS. :P

Debut of the horrendous black alt today in SF.

CEBH2vjUIAAjEU2.jpg

Watching the game right now. I will say that I prefer these over the orange alt's. The solid SF on the cap paired with the outlined SF on the jersey looks odd; they really should have brought back the Bonds-era alternate hat to go with these.

While they could've very well had gone with an all-orange "SF" and number on them, the Giants black alts aren't all that bad.

The only thing I like about them is that they're black. My problems:

1) Color-on-color logos and numbers. Not only that, but the orange outline is extremely thin.

2) No gold dropshadow, which is a major consitency issue. Even the cluttered orange jersey has the gold dropshadow.

3) The piping. It uses a single stripe of orange on the placket and then goes with the double-strip on the sleeve edges. They didn't even bother to keep it consistent with the existing "SF" alt, which uses offset piping on the sleeves.

4) The simplistic patch doesn't fit in well with the rest of the logo set.

5) The solid SF on the cap and the outlined SF on the jersey.

While they could've very well had gone with an all-orange "SF" and number on them, the Giants black alts aren't all that bad.

1) Color-on-color logos and numbers. Not only that, but the orange outline is extremely thin.

2) No gold dropshadow, which is a major consitency issue. Even the cluttered orange jersey has the gold dropshadow.

3) The piping. It uses a single stripe of orange on the placket and then goes with the double-strip on the sleeve edges. They didn't even bother to keep it consistent with the existing "SF" alt, which uses offset piping on the sleeves.

The piping/striping matches the other SF alternate:

giants_013.jpg

giants_013.jpg

I don't believe so. That jersey has offset piping on the sleeve, whereas the piping on the black uni is right on the edge of the sleeve.

pMLB2-19881659dt.jpg

In addition to the color on color numbers of the red jerseys the Angels wear, today's matchup was visually horrible. The black jersey is a mess.

Go A's!

The O's should wear a patch for the CVS, or go all out and wear a jersey that pays tribute to CVS. :P

Keeping up with the Joneses, considering that the Nats already wear a tribute to Walgreens.

msg-117798227822.jpg

giants_013.jpg

I don't believe so. That jersey has offset piping on the sleeve, whereas the piping on the black uni is right on the edge of the sleeve.

pMLB2-19881659dt.jpg

Ahhh, sorry, I see what you mean know. I thought you meant something else. Yes, that's odd and annoying that they didn't match the other SF alt directly.

Archived