Grantland Ranks every NBA Court

Sport

I thought this was a cool article and right up our alley.

Zach Lowe of Grantland ranked all 30 NBA courts for this season

http://grantland.com/features/nba-court-design-power-rankings/

I would've ranked Minnesota last and I would've placed the Bucks in my top 5. Interesting to see that Atlanta is going full-on with this pacman thing. Shame Toronto decided to abandon the 3D illusion. I liked that if only because it was so odd and sort of unnecessary.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The bad thing about Toronto's 3D design was that they did it on a part of the court that people are always standing on which makes it obvious that it's just paint.

But this is a pretty good list overall. All the teams with little color and just stained wood are towards the bottom as they should be. I think they gave too much credit to successful teams like the Lakers and Bulls. Neither of those courts are anything special and the Bulls court is too busy with so many logos.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Pretty good but honestly with the forced basketball in the center court, generic font and overuse of the bull logo, I'd rank Chicago's MUCH lower.

That's what I'd come here to say. Actually, it's just the ball that bugs me. That alone keeps it out of the top 10.

I'd go Boston #1.

I'd rank the Hornets a bit lower for "Buzz City"

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Jazz

back to the dark blue–green-gold trifecta that has always been at the heart of its color scheme.

Heat

Where Utah’s court is “blah” and inoffensive, the wrong viewer could find Miami’s miasma of orange, yellow, and slanted white font almost disorienting.

Suns

When you have that pretty shade of purplish blue in your color scheme

Bucks

it’s good the Bucks have emphasized it after the hybrid blue-green mix of the Ray Allen–Glenn Robinson–“Big Balls” Cassell era.

Sixers

The maroon and blue mix well

Lakers

The blue is beautiful, soft and deep

Is Zach Lowe color-blind?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jazz

back to the dark blue–green-gold trifecta that has always been at the heart of its color scheme.

Heat

Where Utah’s court is “blah” and inoffensive, the wrong viewer could find Miami’s miasma of orange, yellow, and slanted white font almost disorienting.

Suns

Bucks

it’s good the Bucks have emphasized it after the hybrid blue-green mix of the Ray Allen–Glenn Robinson–“Big Balls” Cassell era.

Sixers

Lakers

When it came to the Lakers I asked myself this same question, especially when he kept calling it blue over and over again

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Jazz

Heat

Suns

Bucks

Sixers

Lakers

When it came to the Lakers I asked myself this same question, especially when he kept calling it blue over and over again

Forum Blue! Seriously though, way off.

Jazz

Heat

Suns

Bucks

Sixers

Lakers

Forum Blue! Seriously though, way off.

Indeed way off! (And I think Forum Blue officially became Purple years ago). A lot of his other "facts" are wrong (Miami's court has been somewhat the same since 2006-07, as prior to that they had the circles fully painted in yellow) or contradicting (white wordmark looks good for OKC, but not Miami).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I would've ranked Minnesota last

Absolutely. Minnesota's court is :censored:ing horrendous. It's the combination of two awful stain colors (one too dark, one too light), and poor lighting. For some reason, the optics of the court visually destroy other teams' looks, to the extent I haven't seen since watching the Bulls on WGN on a 19 inch Sanyo with an antenna in 1995. I don't know how, but their court just make everything look horrible and messes up how all the color show up on TV. I mean, the Lakers look dark royal blue and old gold on that court. I can't explain it.

Otherwise, some bad rankings. The Bulls court is okay. It gets points for the 3-point logos (even if they're overkill). I always thought the stain was too light, hated the basketball at midcourt, and disliked the black OOB. Basically, I preferred everything about the Chicago Stadium court. Still, they've been playing on this design for 20 years and three titles, so I'm fine with it now.

The two-tone stains are awful as ever, and now they're dated, too. I dislike the elimination of the college lines (even if they were useless). Also, teams need to stop stealing the exact color layout of other teams' courts (Blazers and Raports copied the Bulls with black OOB and red lanes). There are plenty of unique combinations they can use. In the case of the Blazers, they should go with the incredible and unique court they had during their '90s success - black OOB, WHITE lane and red circles.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

There are plenty of unique combinations they can use. In the case of the Blazers, they should go with the incredible and unique court they had during their '90s success - black OOB, WHITE lane and red circles.

Here's a Blazers concept I came up with. I feel white should be used sparingly, but I also like using platinum/silver/whatevz in place of white to set the Blazers off from the Bulls a little more. I went with white here but use your imagination. I also added conceptual parquet!

Pq8JVp6.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There are plenty of unique combinations they can use. In the case of the Blazers, they should go with the incredible and unique court they had during their '90s success - black OOB, WHITE lane and red circles.

Here's a Blazers concept I came up with. I feel white should be used sparingly, but I also like using platinum/silver/whatevz in place of white to set the Blazers off from the Bulls a little more. I went with white here but use your imagination. I also added conceptual parquet!

Pq8JVp6.jpg

This version looks so much better then their string of souless courts(new version and the recent one).
shado_logo.gif

How is Utah's ranked so low? It's one of the few simple nice looking courts. They don't go overboard on anything.

Their colors are just ugly is why
The old school three stripe sideline court was much better.

Archived