Hilarious Facemask

OldRamsFan

While we're on the subject, I'm sort of surprised by how few players wear visors in the NFL. Maybe I just don't notice it as much, but, I'd figure there'd be a lot of players donning fashionable sunburst visors or chrome, etc. Then again I'm not sure about today's rules for that.

N/M wonderbread beat me.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we're on the subject, I'm sort of surprised by how few players wear visors in the NFL. Maybe I just don't notice it as much, but, I'd figure there'd be a lot of players donning fashionable sunburst visors or chrome, etc. Then again I'm not sure about today's rules for that.

Visors have to be clear unless they have a doctor saying they need it, also they cant be any color other than a dark tint, that's probably why you dont see visors much anymore because players cant get the dr note and only wanted to wear them to look cool so much dont now

mark-mullaney-2--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg?

First worn by Mark Mullaney

The league doesn't allow it unless it's prescribed by a doctor.

Edit: beaten to it twice.

This doesn't qualify as "hilarious", but former Bengals OL Willie Anderson's choice of mask always struck me as strange...

willie-anderson.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Visors have to be clear unless they have a doctor saying they need it, also they cant be any color other than a dark tint, that's probably why you dont see visors much anymore because players cant get the dr note and only wanted to wear them to look cool so much dont now

mark-mullaney-2--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg?

First worn by Mark Mullaney

and perfected by Gilbert Brown

brown71712.jpg

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

This doesn't qualify as "hilarious", but former Bengals OL Willie Anderson's choice of mask always struck me as strange...

willie-anderson.jpg

Those always looked like toys to me.

First made famous by Anthony Munoz.

78-anthony-munoz.jpg

On my middle school team you got two choices: there was Big Willie style above which came in black and the QB version seen below which for some reason was white.

WLAF.345215303_large.jpg

we were all jealous of the other schools who got "real" facemasks. At least I was.

PvO6ZWJ.png

willie-anderson.jpg

Those always looked like toys to me.

First made famous by Anthony Munoz.

78-anthony-munoz.jpg

On my middle school team you got two choices: there was Big Willie style above which came in black and the QB version seen below which for some reason was white.

WLAF.345215303_large.jpg

we were all jealous of the other schools who got "real" facemasks. At least I was.

Haha I felt the exact same way. I snuck my helmet home and switched to my older brothers old metal facemask. Felt so much more baller, but there was a noticeable weight difference lol.

Ricky Williams had an orange visor.. im pretty sure he wore it for i think 1 or 2 games and then the NFL made him change it and that's when they created that rule...For some reason i always picture safeties as the ones with the dark visor and cool facemask..

84699731_4be783df61.jpg?v=0

Another interesting find, Sean Taylor taped up his for a game before.. R.I.P

taylorcloseup.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Ricky Williams had an orange visor.. im pretty sure he wore it for i think 1 or 2 games and then the NFL made him change it and that's when they created that rule...For some reason i always picture safeties as the ones with the dark visor and cool facemask..

84699731_4be783df61.jpg?v=0

Another interesting find, Sean Taylor taped up his for a game before.. R.I.P

taylorcloseup.jpg

5622034760_369d67d3fa_o.jpg

That reminded of this ULM player

willie-anderson.jpg

These were plastic, right? If they were, I'm sure they were light, but hopefully durable.

The final demise of these was likely when the NFL ruled that masks had to be attached in a way that provided "give." Modern masks use attachments with the screw on the other side, closer to the face, whereas these were backed up to a bolt.

Years ago, when mini helmets were the rage, Riddell put this style on all of them. Didn't look right, so I replaced most of them.

I don't guess this qualifies as hilarious, but when Dan Marino came into the league in 1983, it annoyed me that he was a quarterback wearing a lineman's mask.

He wore something similar at Pitt:

I never considered that a lineman's face mask.

For some reason that became THE facemask for the tall, slow, immobile QB's.

Drew Brees fit the description but switched when he got to the pros

Except for the tall part

Also, Culpepper was far from immobile. Anyway, Aikman wore that mask either his last or second-to-last year, after getting concussed when hit on the chin, I believe. Also, Mark Brunell for some time. Peyton Manning until switching to the Revo circa 2004. Brad Johnson, Kordell Stewart, Randall Cunningham, Scott Mitchell, Rick Mirer, and Don Majkowski, to name a few.

I miss that mask. I thought it was so cool growing up.

EDIT: On a peculiar note, while researching the QBs I listed, I found that Scott Mitchell will be on the upcoming season of Biggest Loser. He's up to 366 pounds.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't guess this qualifies as hilarious, but when Dan Marino came into the league in 1983, it annoyed me that he was a quarterback wearing a lineman's mask.

Except for the tall part

Also, Culpepper was far from immobile. Anyway, Aikman wore that mask either his last or second-to-last year, after getting concussed when hit on the chin, I believe. Also, Mark Brunell for some time. Peyton Manning until switching to the Revo circa 2004. Brad Johnson, Kordell Stewart, Randall Cunningham, Scott Mitchell, Rick Mirer, and Don Majkowski, to name a few.

EDIT: On a peculiar note, while researching the QBs I listed, I found that Scott Mitchell will be on the upcoming season of Biggest Loser. He's up to 366 pounds.

Its funny but this discussion has been done before on QB masks & Marino was said to be immobile in that thread as well which I challenged because he was tall & slow but not immobile. The NFL Network named him one of the 10 most mobile QB's in league history. He is also one of the least sacked in the league as well. He would never win a foot race with most but I would take his movement in the pocket & presence over just about anybody.

Obviously I am a huge Dan Marino fan just look at his career then go & see how many hall of fame players he played with which is zero & people wonder why he did not win a Super Bowl. The Super Bowl he played in he only played against 5 Hall Of Famers.

Except for the tall part

Its funny but this discussion has been done before on QB masks & Marino was said to be immobile in that thread as well which I challenged because he was tall & slow but not immobile. The NFL Network named him one of the 10 most mobile QB's in league history. He is also one of the least sacked in the league as well. He would never win a foot race with most but I would take his movement in the pocket & presence over just about anybody.

Obviously I am a huge Dan Marino fan just look at his career then go & see how many hall of fame players he played with which is zero & people wonder why he did not win a Super Bowl. The Super Bowl he played in he only played against 5 Hall Of Famers.

Marino had excellent pocket presence and could elude a sack by side-stepping which is a great skill and requires tremendous anticipation and vision. Mobile he was not.

Except for the tall part

mcmahon85pf-1.jpg

Just remembered Mcmahon

Let's not forget Joe Namath (as much as I would like to . . . Super Bowl III . . . :angered::censored::censored: )

joe_namath_1973_09_01.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

No love for LT?

Ladainian_Tomlinson-2.jpg

884ca93ac70d2b8ee88ef195c31c6afb.jpg?ito

Ladainian+Tomlinson+New+York+Jets+v+Chic

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

willie-anderson.jpg

These were plastic, right? If they were, I'm sure they were light, but hopefully durable.

The final demise of these was likely when the NFL ruled that masks had to be attached in a way that provided "give." Modern masks use attachments with the screw on the other side, closer to the face, whereas these were backed up to a bolt.

Years ago, when mini helmets were the rage, Riddell put this style on all of them. Didn't look right, so I replaced most of them.

They were very durable. I loved it when I wore it back in the day. I tried to break it in a vice after the season was over. It wouldn't break at all, just bend.

Archived