Hilarious Facemask

OldRamsFan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget Peyton wore that lineman style mask

peyton-manning-randy-moss-tenn.jpg

628x471.jpg

He also seems to be one of the few players still wearing the original Revolution style facemasks. Never liked this style.

peyton-manning-colts-broncos.jpg?w=800&h

I also think Pats LB Jamie Collins has a rather small mask for a LB, but I've seen more of them with similar masks that usually WRs or DBs have.

011114patsms36.jpg?itok=Lp1gKYjw&c=aa1a0

Randall Cunningham wore a mask similar to the Marino one, and he was arguably the most mobile QB ever.

randall-cunningham-pro-football-preview-

Also, Reggie white sported the World League mask for a while, probably the most high profile player to wear it. I had one for a season - just like previous poster, I triad to break it and just couldn't. It felt like a toy, but was definitely no joke.

reggie_white_330.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Redskins edition:

'Rak has had some uglu facemasks.

2012:

Brian-Orakpo-679x350.jpg

2013/2014:

Orakpo_Manning_Giants13-1_Carioti_982w.j

Brian+Orakpo+Washington+Redskins+v+Houst

Had this in 2013 training camp but the NFL banned it:

brian-orakpo_pg_600.jpg

Ryan Kerrigan has the same one:

455449974-e1410773788951.jpg?w=620&h=349

Chris Baker wears a weird one:

6_3081878.jpg

chris_baker_jaguars_game_rewind_660x350.

Rookie RT Mogan Moses has something funky going on at the top of his:

morgan-moses-nfl-preseason-new-england-p

Kick Cousins...that's ugly, man!

Jaguars_Redskins_Football_-0a9b4-13754.j

1410713432000-USATSI_8086550.jpg

Always hated Peyton Manning's too.

87Redskins.png

Redskins edition:

'Rak has had some uglu facemasks.

2012:

Brian-Orakpo-679x350.jpg

2013/2014:

Orakpo_Manning_Giants13-1_Carioti_982w.j

Brian+Orakpo+Washington+Redskins+v+Houst

Had this in 2013 training camp but the NFL banned it:

brian-orakpo_pg_600.jpg

Ryan Kerrigan has the same one:

455449974-e1410773788951.jpg?w=620&h=349

Chris Baker wears a weird one:

6_3081878.jpg

chris_baker_jaguars_game_rewind_660x350.

Rookie RT Mogan Moses has something funky going on at the top of his:

morgan-moses-nfl-preseason-new-england-p

Kick Cousins...that's ugly, man!

Jaguars_Redskins_Football_-0a9b4-13754.j

1410713432000-USATSI_8086550.jpg

Always hated Peyton Manning's too.

Other than the banned masks those are all standard issue riddell revo/speed and schutt vengance masks. The new masks and helmets are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the the classic schutt designs that became the norm in the late 80's but they are definitely commonplace in football now and are in fact the new norm.

Steve Young had pretty good mobility with that mask. Just ask the Vikings.

628x471.jpg

fun fact that was his byu/la express helmet that he kept getting repainted until he started to become concussion prone and finally switched to a schutt/bike/air...not sure if many other players kept the same helmet across so many teams like he did.

I'm a huge Steve Young fan - never heard that before. Can you provide a source? It appears that Young switched to the smaller 1990s-era QB-style facemask in 1991. Never knew the facemask switch coincided with a helmet switch due to concussions.

628x471.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

628x471.jpg

fun fact that was his byu/la express helmet that he kept getting repainted until he started to become concussion prone and finally switched to a schutt/bike/air...not sure if many other players kept the same helmet across so many teams like he did.

I'm a huge Steve Young fan - never heard that before. Can you provide a source? It appears that Young switched to the smaller 1990s-era QB-style facemask in 1991. Never knew the facemask switch coincided with a helmet switch due to concussions.

628x471.jpg

460x.jpg

Currently worn by Rodgers

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

This is a distant memory but from what I can recall it was one of those announcer tidbits that was mentioned during a game broadcast. Growing up in the bay area, I probably watched evey 9ers game from '85 to '00. Not sure if the mention was closer to when he started to see regular playing time when montana got hurt or when he finally became a starter. Also you can refer back to old photos from college/afl/nfl and can tell that the helmet/mask combo is consistent throughout. Lastly while he was on the 9ers he was clearly wearing a very old riddell model as it was one of the last ones to not have the neck bumper on back.

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

460x.jpg

Currently worn by Rodgers

Coincidence that he chose the same helmet setup as his favorite team's star qb's or is it an homage?

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

This is a distant memory but from what I can recall it was one of those announcer tidbits that was mentioned during a game broadcast. Growing up in the bay area, I probably watched evey 9ers game from '85 to '00. Not sure if the mention was closer to when he started to see regular playing time when montana got hurt or when he finally became a starter. Also you can refer back to old photos from college/afl/nfl and can tell that the helmet/mask combo is consistent throughout. Lastly while he was on the 9ers he was clearly wearing a very old riddell model as it was one of the last ones to not have the neck bumper on back.

Certainly looks like it could be the same helmet here

BucsDraft198401_8col.jpg5d30ac6f4593cb1aa330ee878003034c.jpg

I've actually wondered if any football players ever did that because they liked the fit of their helmet.

I heard that when Bruce Bochy was a major league baseball player he carried his helmet from team to team and had them paint it at each stop. The reason behind this was because his head was so big it was hard to find a helmet that fit.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've actually wondered if any football players ever did that because they liked the fit of their helmet.

I remember reading something years ago that Ken Stabler took his Raiders helmet with him and had it repainted when he switched teams (Oilers, then Saints).

Archived