I was watching a documentary about the World Hockey Association on NHL Network earlier when someone asked me about the AVCO Cup.

Does anybody have AVCO Cup banners up in their current arena?

Winnipeg won a few, and with the team back they have the best chance of having one somewhere. Do the Coyotes? Avalanche? Hurricanes? Edmonton never won it, and they're the only WHA team still intact, so between moving, name changes, and Stanley Cups, does anybody still bother to commemorate the WHA championships?

Did they ever? Did they hang in Hartford or Quebec City?

Very curious if anybody can shed some light on this, because I couldn't find anything on it.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

It's not an AVCO banner, but there is (or was...not sure when this picture was taken) a WHA East Division Championship banner at whatever the Hartford Civic Center is called these days.

Whalers-banners-500x410.jpg

Since they won an AVCO Cup, I'd assume they have a banner for it up somewhere but I couldn't quickly find a pic.

I know that the WHA Jets had the Avco Cup banners there .. when I visited the old Winnipeg Arena, the Avco Cup banners were shown.. not sure if the banners are now at the MTS Centre but could check some pics I snapped there.. saw AHL banners and the old Stanley Cup banners for the Winnipeg Victorias from many years ago..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

The Houston Aeros had an AVCO Cup banner up in the Toyota Center paying homage to the previous version of the Aeros. I haven't been in the Toyota Center since the Aeros moved to Iowa so I don't know if their banners are still up there. The Houston Comets banners stayed up in the Toyota Center for a few years after the team folded.

311986_10150342514898322_113375183321_79

I know that the WHA Jets had the Avco Cup banners there .. when I visited the old Winnipeg Arena, the Avco Cup banners were shown.. not sure if the banners are now at the MTS Centre but could check some pics I snapped there.. saw AHL banners and the old Stanley Cup banners for the Winnipeg Victorias from many years ago..

Wait, they have/had a banner for the Winnipeg Victorias?! Anybody have a photo of this? That's awesome.

Wait, they have/had a banner for the Winnipeg Victorias?! Anybody have a photo of this? That's awesome.

Yeah I would know.. but I am not sure if I got some pics of that.. might have to dig somewhere and see if i can find some and post in here if possible....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I was watching a documentary about the World Hockey Association on NHL Network earlier when someone asked me about the AVCO Cup.

Winnipeg won a few, and with the team back they have the best chance of having one somewhere. Do the Coyotes? Avalanche? Hurricanes? Edmonton never won it, and they're the only WHA team still intact, so between moving, name changes, and Stanley Cups, does anybody still bother to commemorate the WHA championships?

Very curious if anybody can shed some light on this, because I couldn't find anything on it.

What was the name of it when will it be on again I must see this.

As you can see I honor the legacy of the WHA

http://sportsecyclopedia.com/wha/whateams.html

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

What was the name of it when will it be on again I must see this.

As you can see I honor the legacy of the WHA

http://sportsecyclopedia.com/wha/whateams.html

It was Days That Changed the Game, a series on NHL Network, and this one was the first game of the WHA. Not spectacular, but had a lot of things outside the normal facts one hears about the WHA.

Winnipeg had AVCO Cup banners at the old Arena... I don't think they stayed after the Jets left in 1996, though. None of the other titles were marked with banners (division championships, etc.).

There are no AVCO Cup banners at the MTS Centre, although the Manitoba Moose's banners are still hanging there.

On the Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame page under Photo Gallery - Pins and Badges.

Not sure if it's what you are looking for - hard to tell the size from photos - but looks nice to me.

VicsBannerReplica1896.jpg?uid=1

VicsBannerReplica1901.jpg?uid=1

Link to that page: http://www.mbhockeyhalloffame.ca/gallery/gallery_photo.html?gallery_folder_id=499

banners from other sites:

win2148.jpg

si-jetsbanner300-cp938662.jpg

inwpgarena.jpg

OriginalJets_630x430.jpg

and last picture on this page:

http://digitalcollections.lib.umanitoba.ca/islandora/object/uofm%3Aprohockey?page=6

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived