Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

And does San Jose really need an NHL team and AHL team?

No, but the poor widdle Sharkie-warkies were having a wah-wah because it took too long to fly some guy named "Melker" from Boston to San Francisco.

It really makes a lot of sense, from the arena's perspective.

I've no idea how many shows/concerts/whatever make stops in all three Bay Area venues: SAP Center (San Jose), Cow Palace (San Francisco) and Oracle Arena (Oakland). Nor do I know the SAP Center's annual calendar during hockey season. For at least seven months, they likely have ice on the floor every single day, from mid-September to mid-April. Just to have the ice on the floor (this does not include any maintenance) costs $15,000 per day. The arena's normal house lights cost like $22 a minute to operate.

If the SAP Center doesn't have many events during the hockey season other than Sharks games, having a second hockey tenant that you own can at least sell some tickets for those that can't afford NHL prices for another 30-ish dates.

No, but the poor widdle Sharkie-warkies were having a wah-wah because it took too long to fly some guy named "Melker" from Boston to San Francisco.

I've no idea how many shows/concerts/whatever make stops in all three Bay Area venues: SAP Center (San Jose), Cow Palace (San Francisco) and Oracle Arena (Oakland). Nor do I know the SAP Center's annual calendar during hockey season. For at least seven months, they likely have ice on the floor every single day, from mid-September to mid-April. Just to have the ice on the floor (this does not include any maintenance) costs $15,000 per day. The arena's normal house lights cost like $22 a minute to operate.

If the SAP Center doesn't have many events during the hockey season other than Sharks games, having a second hockey tenant that you own can at least sell some tickets for those that can't afford NHL prices for another 30-ish dates.

Actually SAP Center has plenty of events, far more than the competitor venue in Oakland. The Cow Palace doesn't host much of anything anymore. It's a 75 year old relic that needs to be demolished badly... The real competition will come in 2017 or 2018 when the new SF arena opens.

Pretty sure the Tank stays pretty busy with other events. Sharks ownership is a lot like True North in that they use the hockey team as a loss leader for everything else they put on.

I know the United Center has to melt down the ice when the circus comes to town. I'm sure all arenas have a few acts like that where the ice has to go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually SAP Center has plenty of events, far more than the competitor venue in Oakland. The Cow Palace doesn't host much of anything anymore. It's a 75 year old relic that needs to be demolished badly... The real competition will come in 2017 or 2018 when the new SF arena opens.

Far more? Is that due to the inhouse ATP tourney? The suites above the arena bowl is the issue which made you "cry in verse" yesterday. That's their primary revenue restrictor.

What SAP brings in from Fresno and south for concerts, Oracle books from the north bay.

Now back to spare pro hockey.

Yeah, the circus is a given. The animals and all the things around the rings would tear up the ice protections.

They do have plenty of events going on between now and the end of the regular season. For some reason, we also had a ton of events and games in the back half of the season, too.

It's not "fitting" at all. The logistics for a smaller minor-league footprint make much more sense. Western teams mean more travel time, more travel expenses, and more difficult scouting. This is dumb and I hope it fails.

If that's the dance we have to do to get the IHL back, bring it on!

*observes moment of silence for one of my favorite AHL punchlines (the league having two teams called "Admirals," which led to many a funny joke)*

But just a moment... we had it first! :D

Sports reporter in Rockford asked someone with the IceHogs on how the Pacific movement would impact them, and the spokesperson basically said they'd replace some eastern-ish road games with some western ones. So it looks like the Pacific 5 may not be completely insular. Maybe each of the other 10 West teams takes a swing through California with a game or two at each stop.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Far more? Is that due to the inhouse ATP tourney? The suites above the arena bowl is the issue which made you "cry in verse" yesterday. That's their primary revenue restrictor.

What SAP brings in from Fresno and south for concerts, Oracle books from the north bay.

Now back to spare pro hockey.

"cry in verse"? Not sure what that means but I didn't mention anything about the suites yesterday.

And yes SAP center hosts more events than Oracle. That's not news to anyone who is from or lives in the Bay Area. Oracle hosts so few events that its a money loser for it's owner (the OACCA). So much so that they're actually concerned about its future viability as a venue once the new SF arena opens and steals what events it still gets. Meanwhile SAP Center turns a profit annually and hosts more non-sporting events than any other arena in the western US.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_25645511/oakland-new-competition-spells-trouble-oracle-arena

Why is that so hard to believe? If anything the Worcester team will be a simple date filler but not a money maker. It's at best a neutral proposition which is why it won't last long.

Sports reporter in Rockford asked someone with the IceHogs on how the Pacific movement would impact them, and the spokesperson basically said they'd replace some eastern-ish road games with some western ones. So it looks like the Pacific 5 may not be completely insular. Maybe each of the other 10 West teams takes a swing through California with a game or two at each stop.

May only be a one year thing too if the rumors of the Coyotes, Canucks and Avs bringing their teams west come to fruition next year. The West could survive as a pretty insular division in that case.

Yeah, the talk all has been that the AHL West would basically function as its own league until the playoffs, as the ECHL West does now. So in a 5-team league, that means playing each opponent 18 times in a season, and always one team unable to play, which probably leads to a lot of scheduling of games on less desirable nights. It also probably bones alignments in the Midwest and Texas, though to what extent, I'm not certain. There's still a lot to shake out here.

One unrelated thing that has to happen - I mean has to - is that Peoria either goes back up to the ECHL or drops to juniors like Bloomington did. The SPHL is running a 9-team league with 8 southern teams and Peoria. Take the hint, Rivs.

It would be weird having a 5-team pseudo-league; is there any chance there are some games played against central teams (Iowa, Texas, Milwaukee, etc.)--or less likely--are there going to be more than 5 teams on the West Coast?

What should happen is for Vancouver to move their AHL franchise out of Utica, NY and out to the west. This would create a six-team Western Division for the AHL. Making a schedule would be a piece of cake. Surprised all of the cheap suits in Springfield and NHL HQ didn't think of it. Utica would be more suited to the ECHL and would have closer in-state rivals like Elmira and it looks like Glens Falls.

When Vancouver and the Blues conspired to murder the AHL Rivermen the purported plan was move the team to Seattle (which the NHL discouraged) or Abbotsford under similarly generous terms to what the Flames got (which Abbotsford isn't stupid/desperate enough to offer.) So yeah, they stuck the team in a dying upstate New York city because the road trips would be cheap.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm also guessing that the center ice logo at SAP Center will still be the NHL Sharks. Would they switch out the logo for the AHL team? Or is the AHL team going to be shark-based too?

They'll be the D-Fenders in tribute of the Lakers' D-League team which has a similarly stupid arena setup.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

May only be a one year thing too if the rumors of the Coyotes, Canucks and Avs bringing their teams west come to fruition next year. The West could survive as a pretty insular division in that case.

Where are the Coyotes going to get the money to buy an AHL team, let alone subsidize travel to said team's new locale?

Actually, how are the Avs going to get their hands on an AHL team too, because the Cavs aren't selling.

Today, we are all otaku.

Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun says, per Gary Bettman, the California teams will play fewer games per season then the rest of the league. That's nice and fair for the playoffs!

Actually, how are the Avs going to get their hands on an AHL team too, because the Cavs aren't selling.

Apparently, the owner of the Norfolk Admirals was told in no uncertain terms that if he didn't sell his franchise to the Ducks, they'd terminate their affiliation, and no one else would come to replace them. So, that's how.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.