Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Don't forget Glens Falls.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Re: Brampton/Montreal: They might not exist much longer. Rumor has it they're not doing too hot financially. They're reported average attendance is second last in the league at 2,468. They're also offering some internships that the responsibilities/duties for read a lot like a list for a paid position with most other teams.

Re: Vancouver: they should go west with the ECHL club when their AHL squad is still in Utica for one more year? Okay...

I could see this being the year Allen finally switches to Dallas. Dallas wanted them in the ECHL in the first place to be their AA team, then old ownership pissed off Dallas but the move was still attempted after the ownership change (resulting in the CHL's lawsuit), new ownership has been trying to rebuild the connection last I heard.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I meant after their affiliation with Utica ceases. Just a matter of time, that the other Western NHL teams follow suit.

UPDATED:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Adirondack (?)

Cincinnati (Predators, Panthers)

Elmira (Sabres)

Florida (Hurricanes. Lightning)

Greenville (Rangers)

Gwinnett (Coyotes)

Kalamazoo (Blue Jackets, Canucks)

Manchester (Kings)

Norfolk (?}

Orlando (Maple Leafs)

Reading (Flyers)

South Carolina (Capitals, Bruins)

Toledo (Red Wings)

Wheeling (Penguins, Canadiens)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Alaska (Blues)

Allen (Sharks)

Colorado (Flames)

Evansville (Senators)

Ft. Wayne (Avalanche)

Idaho (Stars)

Indy (Blackhawks)

Missouri (Independent)

Quad City (Wild)

Rapid City (Independent)

Tulsa (Independent)

Utah (Ducks)

Wichita (Independent)

Maybe the best solution is to have no divisions... just an East and West Conference? Not trying to make this a realignment thread. Just trying to make sense of this mess.

I'd be okay with the AHL basically functioning as three separate leagues until playoff time: an 8-team league in the West, an 8 or 10-team league in the Great Lakes/Midwest/Texas, and a 14 or 16-team league in the Northeast. But the current setup, where you pretend to be one unified league, oh but here's some teams that never play outside their conference, oh and here's some teams who practically play as much out of conference as they do inside their division, oh and this little group of teams doesn't have to play as many games as all the other ones do, is certifiable garbage. And it's an insult to fans in the markets who understand, yes, it's an affiliated minor league, but that shouldn't prevent it from being a properly competitive one.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's really hard to believe that they're actually gonna let teams in the West play fewer games. I'm mostly OK with the "leagues within a league" thing, but I'd like some token acknowledgment that they are all in the same organization. Say you have an East, a Central and a West... is it too much to ask that teams take a five game road trip through one of the other conferences each season? Five games out of 75ish?

It's really hard to believe that they're actually gonna let teams in the West play fewer games. I'm mostly OK with the "leagues within a league" thing, but I'd like some token acknowledgment that they are all in the same organization. Say you have an East, a Central and a West... is it too much to ask that teams take a five game road trip through one of the other conferences each season? Five games out of 75ish?

Well see, the Sharks might have an urgent need for one of their AHL players on the eastern road trip.

That said, getting an equal schedule requires the AHL to have a commissioner who isn't a lapdog. That ain't happening.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another thought:

Honestly for all we crack on Calgary for being a :censored: ty parent to their AHL affiliate(s), Edmonton and San Jose are scarcely any better. The demise of the Pacific pod may come because of this.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You guys are putting way too much thought into how the AHL and ECHL should function.

As Admiral keeps pointing out (upon deaf ears, apparently), the point of minor leagues is to get practice time and develop as a player in game situations, and to keep costs down. It's not about playing equal schedules or seeing every team or even winning a championship (and a parent team will never admit that last point publicly). It's getting their younger players ready for the top league and helping players rehabilitate and get back in game shape.

It's not really a necessity to have your AHL team located near the parent club when you have an allowance of carrying three extra skaters.

Then disband the league and run intrasquad scrimmages in practice rinks, like an NFL practice squad. Don't have a league that you expect hundreds of thousands of people to attend and support if you aren't interested in maintaining the facade of one.

If I'm paying money to watch a hockey game, I am going to that game to watch teams play to win, not to watch systems run drills. If the NHL wants the Calgary/New Jersey model, they can stop pretending it's a product anyone should spend thousands, hundreds, or even tens of dollars on.

You guys are putting way too much thought into how the AHL and ECHL should function.

As Admiral keeps pointing out (upon deaf ears, apparently), the point of minor leagues is to get practice time and develop as a player in game situations, and to keep costs down. It's not about playing equal schedules or seeing every team or even winning a championship (and a parent team will never admit that last point publicly). It's getting their younger players ready for the top league and helping players rehabilitate and get back in game shape.

It's not really a necessity to have your AHL team located near the parent club when you have an allowance of carrying three extra skaters.

Somehow affiliated baseball seems to pull off the equal schedules and trying to win a championship, though.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MLB clubs really could care less about their minor league teams winning a championship. The only reason NHL teams even sorta care about minor league championships is that it gets their prospects valuable time in the playoffs. Game experience is great, do or die importance is even better. You think the Lightning are where they are now without Norfolk and Syracuse making back-to-back trips to the Calder Cup Finals and winning one?

Then disband the league and run intrasquad scrimmages in practice rinks, like an NFL practice squad. Don't have a league that you expect hundreds of thousands of people to attend and support if you aren't interested in maintaining the facade of one.

Yes, because you can successfully judge how a player will react to stressful, in-game situations via intrasquads.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I think I should clarify a few things. While the point of the AHL, for the most part, is to develop players for the parent team, that doesn't mean that it should be a slapdash operation where teams just get games in whenever it's convenient, however many games that may be from team to team. While I certainly don't advocate the Calgary/New Jersey model where every possible corner is cut in terms of running a minor-league operation, I also wouldn't want a whole league full of tweener superstars where quality prospects get their minutes where they can, because that doesn't serve the NHL well, and like everyone except that CHRDANHUTCH weirdo who pops up around the internet, I am an NHL fan first and foremost. Affiliates should be in harmony with their parent teams in terms of running systems, maintaining a clear line of communication about who gets and needs ice time, but at the AHL level, there still has to be an effort to present the teams as engaged civic entities that want to provide a quality product at an affordable price. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think there can be an amenable middle ground where affiliates make the most of their talent without running mere scrimmages.

As for a league footprint, it should be obvious that keeping everyone in close quarters means cheaper travel and more time to practice. Let's face it: minor-league hockey is never going to exist on fat profit margins. Being able to drive a prospect from Rockford to Chicago, Allentown to Philadelphia, or one street in Toronto to another street in Toronto are luxuries of geography, not entitlements. We can't have a minor league that looks just like the NHL with all the dots on the map moved 75 miles in one direction or another. For most cities outside the northeast/midwest, tough crap. To me, the biggest irony of the Sharks claiming that they can't properly monitor their prospects in Worcester, besides the fact that their prospects are generally hockey's answer to the Putty Patrol, is that we live in a world that has never been smaller. To hear it from these Silicon Valley whiners, of all people, you'd think they were relying on telegrams to hear how their kids were looking. DEAR DOUG WILSON STOP TOMMY WINGELS CANNOT CEASE SCORING STOP PLEASE REQUEST HIS PRESENCE BY CONESTOGA AT YOUR SOONEST CONVENIENCE STOP. I find it very hard to believe that the Sharks were monitoring their prospects any worse than anyone else. But while information travels quickly and easily, hockey teams don't. That the Sharks need to have their prospects right in their own building because flying them from the Northeast Corridor was slightly inconvenient was born of the same kind of spoiled empty-headedness that gave us sweaters without stripes to be 2% faster.

This California thing is inefficient, indulgent, and compromises the integrity of the league. I don't like it and won't ever like it. The scale of minor-league hockey makes it foolish to run more than regional circuits: preferably one in the northeast, one in the midwest.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How is it inefficient though if the 5 teams are all in relatively close bus proximity to each other? And the same with regard to 3 of the parent clubs?

Well, if those rumors of further expansion are to come true, the Pacific pod will not be in relatively close bus proximity to each other after next season.

Today, we are all otaku.

Re: Brampton/Montreal: They might not exist much longer. Rumor has it they're not doing too hot financially. They're reported average attendance is second last in the league at 2,468. They're also offering some internships that the responsibilities/duties for read a lot like a list for a paid position with most other teams.

I'm from Brampton. I've gone to a couple games this year. Trust me, they aren't averaging 2,000. They tarp off sections of a 5,000 seat arena and the place is rarely half full. I generally buy seats in a corner section because that means I get the section pretty much to myself.

I interviewed with the team for a sales position (before the season) and I turned it down because the team basically said that they guaranteed 2 to 4 weeks of work, which sounded like cold calling for season seats. So this internship thing doesn't surprise me.

It's a joke, I have story after story about this team in their year and a half that just goes to show it's been a joke since day one. Unless they become the Leafs ECHL affiliate, I don't see a chance this team is around next season.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I know Brampton was basically added as a desperate, last-ditch move by the CeHL to keep a respectable number of teams, and I think they basically got subsidized by the few CeHL owners with actual money to barely make it to the merger. That's a team that never should have been, and it can't go away fast enough.

I can see the Jets setting up or buying out Rapid City or possibly Wichita, depending on which one is easier to fly players in and out of. Then again, if the AAA team is Thunder Bay or St John's, it really doesn't matter, ain't nobody getting anywhere in less than 36 hours. There's no way they can keep sharing Manchester with the Kings, right? Right?

Right?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I know Brampton was basically added as a desperate, last-ditch move by the CeHL to keep a respectable number of teams, and I think they basically got subsidized by the few CeHL owners with actual money to barely make it to the merger. That's a team that never should have been, and it can't go away fast enough.

Outside of an affiliation with the Leafs (or maybe the Sabres) I would bet my pay cheque that they will be gone.

Besides the last-ditch effort by the CeHL it was also a last-ditch attempt by our former mayor to have a team for our arena here. I've heard that the mayor/city played hardball with the Battalion to increase the rent but as soon as they left town the rent was halved or more to get this team to come to Brampton.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)