Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

As for Winnipeg, is it really a great idea to have 2 pro hockey teams in that one city?? They should look west to Brandon/Saskatoon/Regina yes? East to Thunder Bay perhaps?

As stated in the link, the move of the Icecaps to Winnipeg could be temporary until a new facility is found (ie. Pretty much what we all assume the Sharks are doing with the AHL Sharks in SJ)

I'm not a fan of Winnipeg having two pro hockey teams. I worry about them cannibalizing the market. However, if it's true that there are no nonstop flights from Winnipeg to St. John's, then it's time to give that up and let Montreal keep things in Atlantic Canada. The best solution would probably be simply to flip-flop the Hamilton and St. John's affiliations. Should be no trouble flying guys out of Pearson to Winnipeg and back.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's possible the way the league by-laws are written. Is it possible to be independent and put together a competitive team with out crippling the wallet? No. It's damn hard just to fill the roster of an independent AHL team. Forget about being competitive due to the lack of free agent talent that would want to go to the AHL over more money and fewer games in Europe.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Plus the veteran rule would still apply even without an affiliation, right? So you'd be really strecthed for building a workable roster.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As stated in the link, the move of the Icecaps to Winnipeg could be temporary until a new facility is found (ie. Pretty much what we all assume the Sharks are doing with the AHL Sharks in SJ)

Here's a 2014 piece about it http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/jets-ahl-team-leaving-st-johns-for-thunder-bay/

I guess those Thunder Bay plans fell through, or aren't finalized yet.

The Jets deserve the entire Northwest Ontario market to themselves, the Leafs sure aren't going to get in their way.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread (maybe we can repurpose this 2015-16 AHL changes?), but Winnipeg is picking up its AHL stakes in St. John's and moving them to MTS Centre (return of the Moose, perhaps?!?!) a la what the Sharks are doing temporarily. This triggers Montreal moving its AHL team from Hamilton to St. John's leaving Hamilton without a team at the level (they've been rumored to be getting an OHL team for some time now. So more changes on the horizon for the AHL in addition to the California teams.

Link: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/ahl/Manitoba-Moose-20-in-the-works-295455711.html?device=mobile

Didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread (maybe we can repurpose this 2015-16 AHL changes?), but Winnipeg is picking up its AHL stakes in St. John's and moving them to MTS Centre (return of the Moose, perhaps?!?!) a la what the Sharks are doing temporarily. This triggers Montreal moving its AHL team from Hamilton to St. John's leaving Hamilton without a team at the level (they've been rumored to be getting an OHL team for some time now. So more changes on the horizon for the AHL in addition to the California teams.

Link: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/ahl/Manitoba-Moose-20-in-the-works-295455711.html?device=mobile

Disregard. I had this in another thread because I didn't see this one here. A mod must've moved it.

I'm not a fan of Winnipeg having two pro hockey teams. I worry about them cannibalizing the market. However, if it's true that there are no nonstop flights from Winnipeg to St. John's, then it's time to give that up and let Montreal keep things in Atlantic Canada. The best solution would probably be simply to flip-flop the Hamilton and St. John's affiliations. Should be no trouble flying guys out of Pearson to Winnipeg and back.

Technically Hamilton has what they claim is an airport, but considering you have to walk onto the tarmac to board a plane, it's more of a fancy bus depot without all the high-falutin' bus depot amenities.
  • Like 1

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I will also waste a new post by once again stating the case for Winnipeg entering into an operating agreement with Rapid City, which would function as their AA affiliate. I can't stress enough how much sense this makes for the Jets

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Technically Hamilton has what they claim is an airport, but considering you have to walk onto the tarmac to board a plane, it's more of a fancy bus depot without all the high-falutin' bus depot amenities.

I had to do that once at O'Hare in the dead of winter because the Jetway broke. I had never thought about the ways that a big tube could break. The railings of the big staircase on the tarmac were coated in ice. It sucked.

With the massive support that junior hockey has in Regina and Saskatoon, as well as the D-1 programs in Grand Forks and Fargo, let's just stop throwing those towns out there as potential landing spots for the MooseCaps.

At this stage, Winnipeg and Hamilton are the cities that make the most sense.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Honestly, Hamilton makes more sense for Winnipeg than St. John's does. (I know that's not what they're doing)

Quick horror thought: What if it's the Brampton Beast who end up in Hamilton?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Dangling an NHL team, giving them Montreal's AHL team, taking away the AHL team, and finally giving them a backdoor ECHL team has to be a sign from the hockey gods that Hamilton should just call it a day, set the whole city on fire for insurance money, and move out to Cambridge.

Dangling an NHL team, giving them Montreal's AHL team, taking away the AHL team, and finally giving them a backdoor ECHL team has to be a sign from the hockey gods that Hamilton should just call it a day, set the whole city on fire for insurance money, and move out to Cambridge.

I live in Hamilton, thank you very much! :P

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Honestly, Hamilton makes more sense for Winnipeg than St. John's does. (I know that's not what they're doing)

Quick horror thought: What if it's the Brampton Beast who end up in Hamilton?

And the Beast (or the new bulldogs..or whatever) move to the AHL?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)