Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

AHL alignment is set for next year:

East

Atlantic: Bridgeport, Hartford, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Portland Pirates, Providence, Springfield, W-B/S

North: Albany, Binghamton, Rochester, St. John’s, Syracuse, Toronto, Utica

West

Central: Charlotte, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Iowa, Lake Erie, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Rockford

Pacific: Bakersfield, Ontario, San Antonio, San Diego, San Jose, Stockton, Texas

Do the two teams in Texas get the special snowflake schedule, or do they have to play full slates like everyone else?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sometimes I don't know what to make of St. John's. I want them to have a team because what a cool-ass city with the jellybean houses, but the isolation is a pain for team travel and shuttling prospects. I thought the Q would turn out to be a good fit for them, but it actually ended up being much worse. Maybe having Montreal as an affiliate rather than Winnipeg will help, but even this is supposed to be a stopgap until the arena in Laval is ready.

I know full well that the economics of minor-league hockey don't always allow for it, but I wish the AHL were better about committing to locations and not just saying "yeah we're doing this for a year or two until something better comes along." It's been a dick move to Utica, Glens Falls, and St. John's.

Travel subsidies killed them, IIRC.

I miss the Montreal Juniors. That was a nice identity. It was quasi-Maroons.

The name Montreal Juniors is so Q, too. "Ey, so we have dis junior 'ockey team in Montréal, so what should we call dem? Attends, I got it! Les Juniors de Montréal!"

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

It was actually "Le club de hockey junior de Montréal," which sounds nice. Better than the Baie-Comeau Drakkar.

It's not even a name! Most minor hockey teams in my area have more imaginative names than that.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Sometimes I don't know what to make of St. John's. I want them to have a team because what a cool-ass city with the jellybean houses, but the isolation is a pain for team travel and shuttling prospects. I thought the Q would turn out to be a good fit for them, but it actually ended up being much worse. Maybe having Montreal as an affiliate rather than Winnipeg will help, but even this is supposed to be a stopgap until the arena in Laval is ready.

I know full well that the economics of minor-league hockey don't always allow for it, but I wish the AHL were better about committing to locations and not just saying "yeah we're doing this for a year or two until something better comes along." It's been a dick move to Utica, Glens Falls, and St. John's.

Yeah, I feel bad for St. John's as well, and it will be unfortunate when the rink in Laval is finished. There's no doubt that the fans deserve a team, but it's hard when they're so far out. Perhaps when Quebec City eventually gets a team, they'll have a more solid affiliation.

East

Atlantic: Bridgeport, Hartford, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Portland Pirates, Providence, Springfield, W-B/S

West

Central: Charlotte, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Iowa, Lake Erie, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Rockford

Pacific: Bakersfield, Ontario, San Antonio, San Diego, San Jose, Stockton, Texas

Do the two teams in Texas get the special snowflake schedule, or do they have to play full slates like everyone else?

I honestly think everyone is going to play the same number of games with this alignment.

6*10 games=60

and have the Pacific teams play 4 against 4 teams, making them to 76(which i think is the AHL schedule).

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

No, it's been confirmed that the California teams get special dispensation to not play a full schedule because their precious existence is so important to hockey.

East

West

Not sure on how many games they'll be playing, but glad they lumped the Texas teams in with the California ones. Makes sense to have the Cali teams travel east since they're all NHL funded more so than it did having any of the independent eastern teams travel down to Texas.

East

West

Not sure on how many games they'll be playing, but glad they lumped the Texas teams in with the California ones. Makes sense to have the Cali teams travel east since they're all NHL funded more so than it did having any of the independent eastern teams travel down to Texas.

Agreed. This is also ideal because all the New York teams are in the same division, all the PA teams are in the same division, and all the New England teams are in the same division. Having Toronto and St. John's in the same division is also best for St. John's because of the air traffic that flows between the 2 cities.