Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Phil Anschutz's least-visited bathroom.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

"At this point it is unclear whether the Texas-based Pacific Division teams... will play a 68-game or a 76-game schedule." They've really thought this through!

Bonus: Dave Andrews salts the earth in Manchester as they play in the Calder Cup Finals.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2015/06/13/california-ahl-teams-to-play-68-games-more-from-commish/

EDIT: The post has been amended to say, definitively, that the Special Snowflakes will play 68 games, and Texas & San Antonio will play 76. Good :censored: ing luck.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Is it really that hard to have the California teams play 8 more games against each other to get them to 76 and keep travel down. There's five of them, just add another home-and-home with each of the other four and you're all set.

The way it is now, three divisions will be determined by points, while the Pacific will be determined by win percentage?

I'm going to assume that Manchester's roster will be moved to Ontario and the ECHL affiliate will move to Manchester, correct?

Wow, super sleuth here.

"We don't look to move into ECHL markets"

Except you literally just moved into three...

I believe the intended interpretation here is that they didn't go out with the mindset of "let's poach some ECHL markets!!!!" It just worked out that way in the end.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

"But it gets boring seeing the same 4 teams all the time"

"Tough :censored: man, it's an imperfect world and if some of you are claiming you actually intend to run these AHL teams as money-making ventures *glances at San Jose and Calgary*, well say hello to my friend, Archimedes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

we don’t look to move into ECHL markets, so it’s an ECHL market now

This is like second-rate Gary Bettman talk. You really are the next step down, AHL!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"At this point it is unclear whether the Texas-based Pacific Division teams... will play a 68-game or a 76-game schedule." They've really thought this through!

Bonus: Dave Andrews salts the earth in Manchester as they play in the Calder Cup Finals.http://lakingsinsider.com/2015/06/13/california-ahl-teams-to-play-68-games-more-from-commish/

EDIT: The post has been amended to say, definitively, that the Special Snowflakes will play 68 games, and Texas & San Antonio will play 76. Good :censored: ing luck.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense. I mean I get the Pacific playing less games, but how does part of the Pacific division play more than the other teams?

The Kings Insider piece suggests it was the teams. There's a quote from Rob Blake about railing against 3 games in 3 days on weekends, because, oh, the development-stifling humanity!

Now, the stupidity of having 5 teams in the division play 68, and 2 others play 76, when the league had six 5-team divisions just last season? That one's probably on the league.

The Kings Insider piece suggests it was the teams. There's a quote from Rob Blake about railing against 3 games in 3 days on weekends, because, oh, the development-stifling humanity!

Now, the stupidity of having 5 teams in the division play 68, and 2 others play 76, when the league had six 5-team divisions just last season? That one's probably on the league.

SamuelJacksonStare.gif

OK, here's the thing. Minor League hockey teams tend to lead a very precarious existence with a dependence on gate money that greatly exceeds the NHL. Weekend games do a heck of a lot better at the gate than week day games. So yeah, minor league teams do 3 in 3s all the time. That this has suddenly become an insurmountable burden is just another sign that the NHL's Western teams have no bloody clue how to run a minor league organization and should not be listened to in this case.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

SamuelJacksonStare.gif

OK, here's the thing. Minor League hockey teams tend to lead a very precarious existence with a dependence on gate money that greatly exceeds the NHL. Weekend games do a heck of a lot better at the gate than week day games. So yeah, minor league teams do 3 in 3s all the time. That this has suddenly become an insurmountable burden is just another sign that the NHL's Western teams have no bloody clue how to run a minor league organization and should not be listened to in this case.

Agreed. Again, the Sabres bought the Rochester Americans (a relatively stable franchise) back in 2011 for $5M. And the team wasn't even for sale. $5M was the "can't turn this down" price.

While we're talking about minor league business sense, reminder that part of the Sharks' grand business plan is to make the Barracuda play Saturday afternoon matinees before Sharks home games.

Those are going to be really interesting days, especially for the NHL teams.

The visiting teams much prefer doing their morning skates at the NHL building, as it gives them the chance to get acclimated to the bounces/sight-lines of the building. And, it gives their equipment staff the ability to be at the arena all day and do what they need to do. Also, the visiting team generally doesn't want folks in the bowl during their morning skate.

Going on local time, the visiting team's morning skate is from 11:15am til around 12:30pm. That doesn't leave much time for morning skates, AHL game, then NHL game. The Sharks would likely have to do their morning skate at the practice facility, or schedule these games as "one ticket, two games" doubleheaders.

Those are going to be really interesting days, especially for the NHL teams.

The visiting teams much prefer doing their morning skates at the NHL building, as it gives them the chance to get acclimated to the bounces/sight-lines of the building. And, it gives their equipment staff the ability to be at the arena all day and do what they need to do. Also, the visiting team generally doesn't want folks in the bowl during their morning skate.

Going on local time, the visiting team's morning skate is from 11:15am til around 12:30pm. That doesn't leave much time for morning skates, AHL game, then NHL game. The Sharks would likely have to do their morning skate at the practice facility, or schedule these games as "one ticket, two games" doubleheaders.

The whole idea has been a cluster. Why the Barracudas are playing at the Sharks arena, and on the same days no less, is beyond me. I get that it saves them having to hire staff for extra game days, but the burden it places on their home ice and arena staff to keep the place up for 2 teams simultaneously same day is just ridiculous.

Then again the whole idea of putting the AHL team in the same city as the NHL team was absurd too.

Hey Seattle could please hurry and try and get an arena built so you can take the Sharks & Barracuda off our hands. Thank You. Much Appreciated. :P

The Sharks aren't going anywhere with their arena control, attendance and new long term lease. But if they want the Barracudas please take them right now. They could play at Key Arena.