Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Hey Seattle could please hurry and try and get an arena built so you can take the Sharks & Barracuda off our hands. Thank You. Much Appreciated. :P

The Sharks aren't going anywhere with their arena control, attendance and new long term lease. But if they want the Barracudas please take them right now. They could play at Key Arena.

Excuse you, sir. It's Barracuda. Da.

Give respect to a great sports brand of our times. :upside:

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Hey Seattle could please hurry and try and get an arena built so you can take the Sharks & Barracuda off our hands. Thank You. Much Appreciated. :P

The Sharks aren't going anywhere with their arena control, attendance and new long term lease. But if they want the Barracudas please take them right now. They could play at Key Arena.

Excuse you, sir. It's Barracuda. Da.

Give respect to a great sports brand of our times. :upside:

Not a chance. I will not succumb to their corporate shilling.

Let's just compromise on "Barracuda" (i.e. always use the scare quotes)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Or "Ooooooooooh, Barracuda". (presented by SeaGate)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

No, that's what Doug Wilson's roster moves are presented by.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

San Diego Gulls announced further upgrades to the old San Diego Sports Arena before the season starts in addition to the new pseudo suites AEG installed, the new club area, and the new boards the Gulls are bringing down from Honda Center when the Ducks get new ones this off season. They'll be installing a new video board to replace what I believe is the Clippers old board from back in the 70's.

o.jpg

Here's what the new beauty will look like.

CH4BoMEUAAA9-Xi.jpg

That definitely looks like an old barn. It'll be interesting to check out games there.

It definitely is an older barn. Seems to have most in common with the Nassau Coliseum of the recent NHL arenas. That said, they've done a bit do clean it up in recent years. New seats were installed in the lower half of the lower bowl (frankly I find the old seats more comfortable to but to each their own). New "suites" were added on what had been the mid bowl concourse creating some luxury spaces for them to sell. They opened a new club under the main grandstand with a nice bar and lounge which also opens on to an even larger on ice suite in the northeast corner of the arena. They did a general cleanup in the rafters that was long overdue. As mentioned the Ducks are sending down their lightly used boards from Honda Center to replace the decades old ones in SD that the San Diego Sockers indoor soccer team has been using most recently. And of course the biggie is the new video board which replaces the barely working San Diego Clippers vintage one.

And for fans they've done a good job of expanding the food and beverage options in recent years to the point that the offerings are more impressive than anything I saw at say Yankee Stadium over this past weekend. That said it's still old school but intimate. And between Chilis, Phil's BBQ, Pieology, the Habit, etc... there are plenty of places to eat and get a drink before games too.

That definitely looks like an old barn. It'll be interesting to check out games there.

It's a pretty good, intimate arena. I saw a game there 10 years ago and while it would never work for an NHL or NBA team nowadays, I thought it was great for minor league hockey. The sight lines are excellent and the new scoreboard should enhance it further.

Any news coming out of the AHL Meetings in Arizona?

SD Gulls released their opening day date of October 10 (and it looks like the league overall opens October 9?), but haven't heard much else yet.

Also doesn't look like there's any jersey leaks that I can see for the new teams as of yet from their meeting jerseys.

CIMdPnCUcAIkdAc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

AHL changes confirmed for next season.

- California teams will play 68 games. Rest of the AHL 76.

- "The top four teams in each division ranked by points percentage (points earned divided by points available) will qualify for the 2016 Calder Cup Playoffs, with one exception in each conference: if the fifth-place team in the Atlantic or Central Division finishes with a better points percentage than the fourth-place team in the North or Pacific Division, it would cross over and compete in the other divisions bracket."

- Playoffs will be Divisional brackets like the NHL. First round is Best of 5. Other rounds best of 7.

- Overtime will be NHL style. All 3 on 3

- Also NHL style coaches challenges.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's too hard to drive the bus up and down I-5 for eight more games?

It would totally ruin player development.

Also, I know I've said it before, but I can't help repeating that last season, the AHL was 6 divisions of 5 teams each. They move 5 teams to California, and rather than just giving them a division, they switch to a 4-division lineup *and* give the Special Snowflakes their wish for a shortened schedule, despite holding the rest of the league, including two teams in their division, the full 76. I am screaming from the rooftops for these entitled West Coast pissbabies to fail.

Also, has anyone thought about how three-point games factor into points percentage standings? Don't worry if you haven't; I'm sure the league hasn't, either!

It's too hard to drive the bus up and down I-5 for eight more games?

It would totally ruin player development.

Also, I know I've said it before, but I can't help repeating that last season, the AHL was 6 divisions of 5 teams each. They move 5 teams to California, and rather than just giving them a division, they switch to a 4-division lineup *and* give the Special Snowflakes their wish for a shortened schedule, despite holding the rest of the league, including two teams in their division, the full 76. I am screaming from the rooftops for these entitled West Coast pissbabies to fail.

Also, has anyone thought about how three-point games factor into points percentage standings? Don't worry if you haven't; I'm sure the league hasn't, either!

I honestly think the division switch is more to do with teams like toronto, rochester, utica wanting to move into the east(like det and col) than anything else

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske