Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Neulion did a pretty decent job with USL-1 back in the day, so it might well be quality.

Believe it or not, some people actually enjoy minor-league sports, especially if they don't live directly in a major-league market.

Including myself. I love my Bisons, I love my Marlies, I love my Keys, and not because they are the minor league affiliate of a team i care about. I want my major teams affilates to do well, but not at the expense of my teams.

EDIT: my point was, that the price that Neulion charges is insane, not that their service is bad and is something i would like to have, but not at that price

Right there with you. I'm pulling for the local AHL Gulls all the way even though I'm a Sharks fan. Once the players move up, well then they're just Ducks, whom are the enemy.

I get what you're saying, but it still seems awkward to cheer for your hated rival's prospects. Most Gulls fans will probably root for the Ducks too. The Gulls even wear the Ducks logo on their shoulders.

Trust me, Chicago Wolves fans have adjusted.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Neulion did a pretty decent job with USL-1 back in the day, so it might well be quality.

Believe it or not, some people actually enjoy minor-league sports, especially if they don't live directly in a major-league market.

Including myself. I love my Bisons, I love my Marlies, I love my Keys, and not because they are the minor league affiliate of a team i care about. I want my major teams affilates to do well, but not at the expense of my teams.

EDIT: my point was, that the price that Neulion charges is insane, not that their service is bad and is something i would like to have, but not at that price

Right there with you. I'm pulling for the local AHL Gulls all the way even though I'm a Sharks fan. Once the players move up, well then they're just Ducks, whom are the enemy.

I get what you're saying, but it still seems awkward to cheer for your hated rival's prospects. Most Gulls fans will probably root for the Ducks too. The Gulls even wear the Ducks logo on their shoulders.

The thing is, you arent cheering for Ducks prospects(in this example), you are cheering for your hometown team, the San Diego Gulls(who just happen to be affilated with the Ducks)

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

The purpose of the modern AHL is to develop players for NHL teams, who pay for most player contracts, and thatswhatthemoneyisfor.gif

It's not as if the Gulls just sort of found themselves developing Ducks prospects because a couple of them showed up on their doorstep and they figured why not. The Ducks basically squeezed the Norfolk Admirals out of business in order to establish a west-coast developmental affiliate, remember? The whole reason the Gulls and their California counterparts exist is for prospects. So no, they don't "just happen" to be affiliated with the Ducks. Tripping on a crack in the sidewalk is something that just happens. This is by design. You most certainly are rooting for Ducks prospects, you either deal with it like tons of AHL fans do or become a Ducks fan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Trust me, Chicago Wolves fans have adjusted.

To be fair, any NHL team that affiliates with the Wolves is sabotaging its own player development, so I'm sure that helps.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As someone above said, I cheer for them because they're the home town team. No other reason. Once the players leave that connection ends. Is it a little awkward, sure, but not something I'm entirely unfamiliar with having grown up watching the San Jose Giants (High A) but utterly loathing the San Francisco Giants. And I've already removed the Ducks patch from the shoulder of the Gulls jersey I bought Saturday night so it's all good. I think of it this way, yes some of the players under contract with Anaheim rather than San Diego may eventually play for the Ducks, but that's true of players on even the Sharks in this day and age thanks to trades and free agency.

As for most Gulls fans rooting for the Ducks, based on what I saw at the arena last weekend I'd question that assertion. I saw far and away more Kings, Bruins, Canucks, Canadiens, Jets, Sharks, Red Wings, and even Whalers gear on fans not wearing Gulls gear in the crowd than I did Ducks. Which tracks with the name reveal back in March where the crowd was similar. Mind you that's obviously an anecdote, but I have a feeling most Gulls fans are simply San Diego based hockey fans who want to watch some live hockey and will root for the Gulls like me because they're local, not because but in spite of any ties some of the players have to the Ducks. And will similarly go on rooting for their chosen NHL team despite some of the better Gulls players under contract with Anaheim's ultimate destination. Polling those around me at the arena that was definitely the case as there were fans of over a half dozen NHL teams near me and only one person was a Ducks fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Roanoke joins the SPHL....

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=5061507

The Southern Professional Hockey League today announced the move of the Mississippi Surge to Roanoke, VA, who will return to the ice for the 2016-2017.

At a press conference held this morning at the Berglund Center, league president Jim Combs stated that in addition to the move, the SPHL Board of Governors last week approved the team's majority transfer of ownership from Surge Ice, LLC to Breakaway Sports and Entertainment, LLC.

Serving as majority owners of Breakaway Sports and Entertainment, LLC are Bob McGinn and his sons, Jamie, Tye and Brock, all three of whom are currently under NHL contracts with Buffalo, Tampa Bay and Carolina, respectively. In addition to the McGinn family, premier sports artist Rob MacDougall, SPHL Chairman Tim Kerr and several local investors are part of the group bringing hockey back to Roanoke.

Now if only Richmond can get back professional hockey....

baltimoreravens.png

Also, why in the blue hell is Peoria still in that league?

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Pure dumbassery. They should have been trying to get an ECHL team for at least the last year.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pure dumbassery. They should have been trying to get an ECHL team for at least the last year.

That I agree with. The ECHL wants to have 30 teams so that every NHL team has an AHL affiliate and a ECHL affiliate. Peoria would perfect for the league.

That I agree with. The ECHL wants to have 30 teams so that every NHL team has an AHL affiliate and a ECHL affiliate. Peoria would perfect for the league.

The Blues don't have an affiliate, but I'm not exactly sure the Peoria Civic Center wants to do business with the Blues right now (assuming the current Blues regime even gave a :censored: about player development, which LOL the Wolves are your AHL team).

That said, making a play for the Blackhawks in order to tap into the Bradley students seems to be a reasonable strategy.

Today, we are all otaku.

Oh, funny you mention Indianapolis. One of their TV stations has picked up the package of over-the-air weekend games from WGN, so 20ish Blackhawks games are now on TV there. I've been saying the Hawks need to explore this for years:

If the Blackhawks still aren't willing to have another team up the road, the least they can do is syndicate their 20-game-or-so over-the-air TV package to Milwaukee, or Milwhawkee, and see if they can make some inroads there (plus Madison, Rockford, South Bend, while we're on the topic). Otherwise, they're just squatting.

The Blackhawks aren't doing nearly enough to capture outlying areas and make themselves a fully regional team.

Case in point: just like the other Chicago teams, the Blackhawks have telecasts on WGN. However, while the Cubs/Bulls/Sox have their games aired nationally on both WGNs (9 and America), the Hawks are only on channel 9. I'm guessing this has something to do with Gary Bettman being a doodoohead and trying to further protect failing southern markets from the superstation. Anyway, the unintended consequence here is that not all cable systems in areas overlapping Comcast Sportsnet's reach--downstate, South Bend, Rockford, Quad Cities--carry the local feed of WGN, rather WGN America, so most weekend games are blacked out there, which means the Hawks have essentially re-Wirtzed their television contract. Why not work out some deal to syndicate the WGN package to local UHFs in their satellite markets, the way the Cubs have their stupid channel 26 package syndicated to similar markets? While they're at it, get that slate on in Milwaukee and Madison, too.

Weird that Indianapolis would be the first television market to get some Hawks games. I'd have gone after Madison and Milwaukee.

Oh, funny you mention Indianapolis. One of their TV stations has picked up the package of over-the-air weekend games from WGN, so 20ish Blackhawks games are now on TV there. I've been saying the Hawks need to explore this for years:

If the Blackhawks still aren't willing to have another team up the road, the least they can do is syndicate their 20-game-or-so over-the-air TV package to Milwaukee, or Milwhawkee, and see if they can make some inroads there (plus Madison, Rockford, South Bend, while we're on the topic). Otherwise, they're just squatting.

The Blackhawks aren't doing nearly enough to capture outlying areas and make themselves a fully regional team.

Case in point: just like the other Chicago teams, the Blackhawks have telecasts on WGN. However, while the Cubs/Bulls/Sox have their games aired nationally on both WGNs (9 and America), the Hawks are only on channel 9. I'm guessing this has something to do with Gary Bettman being a doodoohead and trying to further protect failing southern markets from the superstation. Anyway, the unintended consequence here is that not all cable systems in areas overlapping Comcast Sportsnet's reach--downstate, South Bend, Rockford, Quad Cities--carry the local feed of WGN, rather WGN America, so most weekend games are blacked out there, which means the Hawks have essentially re-Wirtzed their television contract. Why not work out some deal to syndicate the WGN package to local UHFs in their satellite markets, the way the Cubs have their stupid channel 26 package syndicated to similar markets? While they're at it, get that slate on in Milwaukee and Madison, too.

Weird that Indianapolis would be the first television market to get some Hawks games. I'd have gone after Madison and Milwaukee.
The Quad Cities ABC affiliate shows some Cubs & Bulls games on a subchannel, and added the Blackhawks a few weeks ago:

http://wqad.com/2015/10/09/chicago-blackhawks-games-to-air-on-wqad-and-mytv-8-3/

Channel 23 in Rockford, which also carries IceHogs games on 23.3, is airing the WGN Blackhawks games on 23.2 this season. And it makes sense in Indy, since the Fuel are the Hawks' ECHL affiliate.

FAKE EDIT: It looks like this is because WGN has sold their games out of market. Per this WGN FAQ, this package of Hawks games is airing in Rockford, Indy, the Quad Cities, Des Moines, and Peoria (LOL Blues). And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it made its way into more midwestern markets and digital subchannels next season.

Channel 23 in Rockford, which also carries IceHogs games on 23.3, is airing the WGN Blackhawks games on 23.2 this season. And it makes sense in Indy, since the Fuel are the Hawks' ECHL affiliate.

FAKE EDIT: It looks like this is because WGN has sold their games out of market. Per this WGN FAQ, this package of Hawks games is airing in Rockford, Indy, the Quad Cities, Des Moines, and Peoria (LOL Blues). And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it made its way into more midwestern markets and digital subchannels next season.

Excellent. This is what I call "growing the game." Just gotta get Wisconsin on board now.