Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

• 4 weeks later...

Coyotes likely to move AHL affiliate to Tucson. Team would play in a slightly renovated 6,700 seat Tuscon Convention Center.

They just need to actually buy a team first. The article says they have sources that the Coyotes are close to finalizing a deal for a team, but we've come to know what finalizing a purchase and the Coyotes means.They had a one-year deal with Springfield this season.

• Like 2

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

13 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Coyotes likely to move AHL affiliate to Tucson. Team would play in a slightly renovated 6,700 seat Tuscon Convention Center.

They just need to actually buy a team first. The article says they have sources that the Coyotes are close to finalizing a deal for a team, but we've come to know what finalizing a purchase and the Coyotes means.They had a one-year deal with Springfield this season.

Manitoba? B)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

They'll have to play 76 games, though. Should have moved to Fresno instead.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Arizona just announced they have purchased the Springfield Falcons.

• Like 1

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

26 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Arizona just announced they have purchased the Springfield Falcons.

Well, Tucson it is then.

It makes sense, I think... Tucson can serve as the middle point to connect the California teams with San Antonio and Texas in the Pacific Division. BTW, they should all play 76 games... is it really that damn hard to have the California teams play another eight games?

Damn wimps.

Well, that's a bummer. The Falcons did AHL hockey right; low prices, cheap parking, etc. Unfortunately, they just couldn't draw because people have anything better to do than hang out in Springfield on a Saturday night. The area around the Civic Center is as dead as a doornail which certainly didn't help, but Falcons games were fun. Small venue, good prices, the works.

Now it looks like I'll have to start seeing the Hartford "Nobody told us the Whalers left so we're keeping NHL prices 'round these parts" Wolf Pack skate to another disappointing season if I want my local hockey fix.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Hmm, AHL cool with losing one of its oldest cities.

The League headquarters no less.  All to support a team that's moving to Las Vegas in a few years anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Easier to move the AHL Coyotes from Tucson to Phoenix in two years when the NHL Coyotes move to Las Vegas. As a west coaster I am glad to see more AHL teams moving this way but it his sad to see the historical east coast teams losing out.

A buddy of mine is/was the broadcaster for the Falcons. Nothing on Twitter or Facebook from him today.

The team's Twitter account is already gone. This post on their Facebook talks of refunds so it looks like another move into the market isn't likely.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Hmm, AHL cool with losing one of its oldest cities.

When they're dead last in attendance and 2 of the new California teams are 2nd and 4th in attendance (and the other 3 were solid) it's not hard to see why they'd roll the dice on another westward move. And Tucson does for the Yotes exactly what the Gulls, Reign, and Cuda have done for the Ducks, Kings and Sharks. They can have a prospect up from the AHL team in less than 2 hours.

One of the big problems with Springfield was the constant turn over of parent clubs. Phoenix, Tampa Bay, Edmonton, Columbus, Phoenix again; all since like 2004. It's tough to get invested in a team with that type of roster turnover.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

But wait, there's more: The Senators are considering moving their AHL franchise from Binghamton to Belleville. Because, ease of access. Obviously the move would occur after 2017 or 2019.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

The Vancouver Giants (WHL) are expected to announce on Tuesday that they are moving to the Langley Events Centre, leaving the Pacific Coliseum without a tenant.

I'm betting the Canucks will put the Comets there.

EDIT: Although the vacant arena in Abbotsford is 40 years newer...

Though, ew:

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 2.08.20 AM.png

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I think it will be a good move for the Giants. The Coliseum is a great old building with all it's history and memories but the LEC seems like a better fit. Newer and at 5,000 plus capacity more suited for the WHL. Guess poor Abby gets the soon to be booted BCHL Rivermen.