Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

They've actually won four straight championships. The timing makes sense when you consider the new owner wants to put his stamp on the franchise. Americans fans are PISSED and letting the team know.

my mistake, for some reason I thought they did not win it in 2014-15 (first ECHL year). Guess I should have looked it up before posting. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The would be the other recently successful minor league (and my) team, the Pensacola Ice Flyers: 2012-13, 2013-14, and 2015-16. Maybe that's where you got it. 

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 4 weeks later...

The Norfolk Admirals are hinting at a new affiliation to be announced next week. They may also be plotting a return to the AHL. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

The Norfolk Admirals are hinting at a new affiliation to be announced next week. They may also be plotting a return to the AHL. Stay tuned.

Suppose the AHL will need one more team in the near future.

6 hours ago, buzzcut said:

Their release says they are announcing new NHL and AHL affiliations, and they squashed the notion of moving up twice on Twitter. They've also already announced their home schedule for the ECHL season. They aren't leaving the 'Coast anytime soon.

However, they have been using a logo progression graphic everywhere with '?' over '2017.' Their site also has no logo in the header. My money is on a new/recolored logo to match the new parent club(s).

• Like 1

So glad we don't have to worry about any of this mess in Buffalo/Rochester. Oh, wait...

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/26/pegulas-start-sabres-search-brandon-continues-talks-rochester-amerks/

"The Sabres say they want to keep the Amerks in Rochester, but other options are available for the American Hockey League team. Albany is losing its team, and Buffalo is even an option. The San Jose Sharks share their city with their minor-league club. The Sabres fired a warning shot last year by moving an NHL preseason game from Rochester to Penn State University."

29 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

So glad we don't have to worry about any of this mess in Buffalo/Rochester. Oh, wait...

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/26/pegulas-start-sabres-search-brandon-continues-talks-rochester-amerks/

"The Sabres say they want to keep the Amerks in Rochester, but other options are available for the American Hockey League team. Albany is losing its team, and Buffalo is even an option. The San Jose Sharks share their city with their minor-league club. The Sabres fired a warning shot last year by moving an NHL preseason game from Rochester to Penn State University."

Are you f :censored: ing kidding me?

Granted, Rochester came in 17th, in attendance, but they averaged over 5,300, a game. Those are not numbers where you start considering moving an affiliate that is only one go :censored: mn hour away. Especially the second oldest franchise in the whole f :censored: ing league!

And then you talk about Albany. Albany?!?!?!?! In 24 years of AHL hockey, they averaged higher than this past Rochester season twice. Their overall average annual attendance is well under 4000. JTFC, did you bastards do any research?

This is idiocy.

• Like 3

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

20 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Are you f :censored: ing kidding me?

Granted, Rochester came in 17th, in attendance, but they averaged over 5,300, a game. Those are not numbers where you start considering moving an affiliate that is only one go :censored: mn hour away. Especially the second oldest franchise in the whole f :censored: ing league!

And then you talk about Albany. Albany?!?!?!?! In 24 years of AHL hockey, they averaged higher than this past Rochester season twice. Their overall average annual attendance is well under 4000. JTFC, did you bastards do any research?

This is idiocy.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. And San Jose was below Rochester, as well.

The thing I don't get is they're seemingly putting the screws to everyone involved over this rinky dink AHL arena/team, but the political will was there to give the Bills a football palace, but the Bills have been the ones pumping the brakes on that.

Same owners. Similar situations. I don't get it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. And San Jose was below Rochester, as well.

The thing I don't get is they're seemingly putting the screws to everyone involved over this rinky dink AHL arena/team, but the political will was there to give the Bills a football palace, but the Bills have been the ones pumping the brakes on that.

Same owners. Similar situations. I don't get it.

San Jose was dead last in the AHL... if we're being realistic. They were averaging somewhere around 1000 actual fans a game.

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

San Jose was dead last in the AHL... if we're being realistic. They were averaging somewhere around 1000 actual fans a game.

Yeah, I remember the pictures from their first games, but I guess they brought the average up to 4000-something per game. Completely shocked that a team would fudge attendance numbers. :rolleyes:

So they're threatening Rochester with two big failures as alternatives. Great.

Two developments in the SPHL today. First, the Columbus Cottonmouths are suspending operations for 2017-18. The statement says, "the league is in the final stages of securing new ownership," and plans for that franchise to make a comeback for 2018-19.

Second, the Fayetteville FireAntz announced a press conference for next Friday, May 12. New ownership + half-price merchandise = likely refresh of a look in dire need of one.

11 minutes ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Norfolk announced that their new affiliate is with Nashville.

http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/press-releases/admirals-announce-affiliation-agreement-nashville-predators/

New Logo & Jersey coming soon.

Two Nashville-affiliated teams named Admirals? Odd.

• Like 1

I have to imagine this will result in Cincinnati going to Columbus.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

14 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

Norfolk announced that their new affiliate is with Nashville.

http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/press-releases/admirals-announce-affiliation-agreement-nashville-predators/

New Logo & Jersey coming soon.

14 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Two Nashville-affiliated teams named Admirals? Odd.

Maybe new logo means new name for the Norfolk team???

10 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Maybe new logo means new name for the Norfolk team???

Team shot down a rename to Predators and dumping Admirals as a moniker seems dumb given its history with that organization and area.

• Like 2
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just now, rams80 said:

Team shot down a rename to Predators and dumping Admirals as a moniker seems dumb given its history with that organization and area.

Absolutely agreed, and I was referring to something not Predators.  Admirals is great...I say stick with it.

I'm fine with sticking to Admirals, for Norfolk. If they have to change, the only suitable alternative would be Destroyers.