Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

If Vegas doesn't bring back the Wranglers name and colors, I'll be highly disappointed. I know a lot of people want a play on the NHL team name, but Wranglers has been the minor-hockey name for Vegas for a long time, and I rather like that tradition.

When (not if, I have my doubts the Blues will want to even bother trying to deal with the Wolves again after how completely aggravating to both sides their first stint together ended up being) St. Louis forms their own club, it'll most likely be in Kansas City; it's close-ish to the parent club; and while it seems as though not much NHL support is there, I could see an AHL team doing well in the city.

12 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

If Vegas doesn't bring back the Wranglers name and colors, I'll be highly disappointed. I know a lot of people want a play on the NHL team name, but Wranglers has been the minor-hockey name for Vegas for a long time, and I rather like that tradition.

When (not if, I have my doubts the Blues will want to even bother trying to deal with the Wolves again after how completely aggravating to both sides their first stint together ended up being) St. Louis forms their own club, it'll most likely be in Kansas City; it's close-ish to the parent club; and while it seems as though not much NHL support is there, I could see an AHL team doing well in the city.

Prepare to be disappointed. I have a strong feeling they will go with Silver Knights. It was one of the names the Golden Knights almost went with, plus, Nevada is the Silver state, and While the the 1st team is Golden it would make sense that the second team is Silver. If they make a third Vegas club they would be bronze. The Wranglers was a good name and brand but Id hardly call 11 seasons a long enough time for it to be a tradition. Sure they were the longest lasting team in Las Vegas with that name but they were the only ones with that name.

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

Elliotte Friedman reports that the next commissioner of the AHL will be former Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson, and that should just about do it for the ol' American Hockey League.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There was a crank on HFBoards (yeah, I don't believe it either) who would post entire dissertations on why Scott Howson was an Actually Good GM and it was only the GMs before and after him who did everything wrong and made him look bad. I don't care enough to investigate whether there turns out to be a kernel of truth to that ranting, I'm reasonably confident that hiring a guy from the early 2010s Beej is the worst choice the AHL could make short of peeling off some hired goons from McKinsey and sending them up to Western Mass to go around firing everyone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Elliotte Friedman reports that the next commissioner of the AHL will be former Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson, and that should just about do it for the ol' American Hockey League.

Expecting a breakup of the league?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

15 hours ago, buzzcut said:

Expecting a breakup of the league?

Nah, just the functional death of it as a vehicle for anything besides skill training.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

23 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the primary goal of the minor league system? 

If it were, it'd be an improvement. The AHL is a pretty short runway for good prospects: the longer they stay, the likelier they are to get laid out by some goon trying to get a cup of coffee as a 14th forward. Outside of the 2000s Red Wings, anyone who distinguishes himself there does so quickly or not at all. And because major-junior squats on all the elite prospects, a lot of what gets developed are just bottom-sixers, second-line wings and second-pair D at best, maybe. "Tomorrow's healthy scratches today" doesn't put asses in seats.

As a result of that structure, you can't blame organizations who choose not to agonize over that and just try to produce winning hockey with attractive promotions. 

• Like 3

On 2/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, Dilbert said:

I think if San Antonio still wants hockey under a different ownership from the Spurs, then the ECHL will probably be it. The ECHL has room for expansion and a team there will work in a thinning western conference. Itd be a great rivalry for Allen. I think Vancouver is still committed to Utica for now but I could see them moving the Comets probably to Vancouver or Abbotsford. Putting them at Pacific Coliseum could work but can Vancouver support the Canucks, an AHL club, and the Giants in nearby Langley? The Mavericks arent going anywhere I dont see them going to the AHL. Ownership is commited to the ECHL. As for Calgary and Stockton, I know they are having arena issues in Stockton and Calgary can never seem to hold an a affiliate in a market for long but their time in Stockton has actually lasted longer than i thought they would. If they are looking to move to be closer to Calgary Im not sure where they would go. Maybe Billings could work? Finally from what I heard the San Jose Barracuda will likely be moving to a new, 4,200 seat arena as part of a Sharks Ice complex in San Jose, so apparently they are staying in San Jose.

The one problem for a new San Antonio team, even if the Spurs don't own them they only have the AT&T Center as a truly viable option. It seems like SSE are intent on ticking local sports fans off across the board. When people are happy you don't own the Missions and are afraid they'll shut down SAFC, people won't want to work with you.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

What I know best about the Ramps is that they named their press box for a victim of the mass shooting in Aurora. That the memorial press box thus won't exist anymore is kind of a downer.

Not sure about the Etch for San Antonio, the track record for being made to accept third-tier (generous) hockey under the same name is not great. Ask Manchester, NH.

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The one problem for a new San Antonio team, even if the Spurs don't own them they only have the AT&T Center as a truly viable option. It seems like SSE are intent on ticking local sports fans off across the board. When people are happy you don't own the Missions and are afraid they'll shut down SAFC, people won't want to work with you.

Is Freeman Coliseum no longer capable of ice making? It may be an older venue but the capacity would work just fine for an ECHL club. Heck the Alamodome once hosted some hockey too.

I don't want to picture 1,200 in the Alamodome for hockey, and neither should anyone else.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

5 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I don't want to picture 1,200 in the Alamodome for hockey, and neither should anyone else.

Like this nice bit of grainy footage indicates. 

EDIT: Nevermind, this is the Freeman Coliseum. Still incredibly empty.

Edited by Red Comet

6 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Like this nice bit of grainy footage indicates. 

EDIT: Nevermind, this is the Freeman Coliseum. Still incredibly empty.

18 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Is Freeman Coliseum no longer capable of ice making? It may be an older venue but the capacity would work just fine for an ECHL club. Heck the Alamodome once hosted some hockey too.

Freeman could be capable but it would need a lot of refurbishment as well. My daughter had a dance competition there in December and you could see how little attention it gets when the rodeo isn't there. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

If I can remember right the IHL San Antonio Dragons played some games there when Freeman Coliseum was unavailable due to the rodeo. The Stars also played some preseason games there when they first moved to Dallas. I believe it was in the arena setup and not the whole dome.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Freeman could be capable but it would need a lot of refurbishment as well. My daughter had a dance competition there in December and you could see how little attention it gets when the rodeo isn't there. 

Maybe someone can come in like the Leafs did with the Coca Cola Coliseum in Toronto and give Freeman some new life. Unless they can make a deal with SSE to use AT&T, the Coliseum might be the best choice. San Antonio drew decent crowds for the Rampage, and the Iguanas were well loved.