Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Is there a place that would be a better headquarters for the league than Springfield? Maybe somewhere in Fairfield County to be close to New York? Does it even matter?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The irony is that the Blues at one point owned the franchise that played in Springfield for decades before moving to Worcester.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think St Louis going to Springfield puts the Blues to Kansas City rumors to rest for a while. A multiyear deal, plus the AHL isnt about to leave Springfield leave the league anytime soon. The Mavericks will remain in the ECHL and in Independence. While Lamar Hunt Jrs NAHL Topeka club will be moving to a new facility in nearby Olathe.

Signature intentionally left blank

Frank Seravalli is reporting the Florida and Carolina have AHL moves in the works. I thought the Charlotte/Carolina relationship was good?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Flying in and out of what's left of AHLLand must kinda suck...

Well, that's certainly the case when it comes to the new St. Louis Blues-Springfield Falcons affiliation. Unless, of course, your idea of convenience is the once daily Southwest flight from St. Louis Lambert International to Bradley International in Windsor Locks, CT and vice-versa.

I was thinking more Utica-Vancouver or Springfield-Lauderdale. I don't really have a mental inventory of flights, that's dfwabel stuff, I just know one time I tried to fly from Milwaukee to St. Louis but found out I'd have to connect in Atlanta.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I was thinking more Utica-Vancouver or Springfield-Lauderdale. I don't really have a mental inventory of flights, that's dfwabel stuff, I just know one time I tried to fly from Milwaukee to St. Louis but found out I'd have to connect in Atlanta.

I mean that's just #DeltaLyfe

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Eh, was fun to imagine the Blues having an AHL team in-state. Oh well.

Not surprised that Lamar Jr. is relocating his NAHL team to Johnson County, Kansas though. It's the Orange County of Tornado Alley so it's not surprising that the sport with the richest following would be moved to a county with a median household income of over $85,000.

Edited by Red Comet

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

Those itineraries would absolutely involve connecting flights... probably a couple of connections, to be honest.

Vancouver to Utica (or, vice versa) would involve flying into - or, out of - either Albany International Airport or Syracuse Hancock International Airport. There might be some additional connecting flights into Greater Binghamton and Ithaca Tompkins, but it doesn't strike me that the aircraft servicing those latter locations would be optimal for transporting an entire hockey team.

The routes back-and-forth between Bradley International Airport and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport would likely involve connections through Washington Dulles, Charlotte Douglas, or Hatfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airports.

The biggest headache on most - if not all - of these itineraries would likely be departure and arrival times. Could be slim pickings.      

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2020 at 6:47 AM, JackieMoon said:

Well it's settled. The only losers out of the situation were the fans of San Antonio.

Not being able to have a proper sendoff sucks, but with how the Spurs shipped off the Stars and Spurs Dancers it feels appropriate. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Hurricanes are likely to cut ties with Charlotte and move their affiliation to the Wolves. Florida would then presumably take over Charlotte.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article242352706.html

Ahh Florida, breaking up another affiliation that makes a ton of sense(Sabres and Rochester being the first.)

It's not on them I know, just funny.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

25 minutes ago, _J_ said:

Ahh Florida, breaking up another affiliation that makes a ton of sense(Sabres and Rochester being the first.)

It's not on them I know, just funny.

Well.... Florida did have an AHL affiliate in North Carolina before the Hurricanes showed up ... :P

I saw, I came, I left.

8 hours ago, monkeypower said:

The Hurricanes are likely to cut ties with Charlotte and move their affiliation to the Wolves. Florida would then presumably take over Charlotte.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article242352706.html

You gotta be :censored:ing kidding me. In what world does this make any sort of sense?

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

Today I learned that three of the top five ECHL attendances are Florida teams, and they're better than most AHL numbers.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 4/29/2020 at 10:36 AM, monkeypower said:

Huh? This doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396