Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

7 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

Huh? This doesn’t make a lot of sense.

It's a league rule that every AHL team must have an NHL affiliate, and with Vegas getting the Rampage and STL taking over Springfield, someone needs to take Chicago as an affiliate.

It's also mentioned that it's only an option that they're looking into, not a decided thing. Most likely, they'll keep the affiliation with Charlotte and let Florida have Chicago.

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

It's a league rule that every AHL team must have an NHL affiliate, and with Vegas getting the Rampage and STL taking over Springfield, someone needs to take Chicago as an affiliate.

It's also mentioned that it's only an option that they're looking into, not a decided thing. Most likely, they'll keep the affiliation with Charlotte and let Florida have Chicago.

I sure hope they stay with Charlotte. I, for one, like having a team that's successful and well-connected.

the user formerly known as cdclt

From what I've seen and heard, this is an "option" because the relationship between Charlotte and Carolina has deteriorated. Whether that's front office or more on the ownership side, I'm not sure but given Dundon's history, it wouldn't surprise me if he's pissed someone else off.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

On 5/3/2020 at 9:20 AM, Geoff said:

From what I've seen and heard, this is an "option" because the relationship between Charlotte and Carolina has deteriorated. Whether that's front office or more on the ownership side, I'm not sure but given Dundon's history, it wouldn't surprise me if he's pissed someone else off.

That would have the be the only reason theyd consider moving affiliates from a regional pairing to the leftover Chicago Wolves.

Florida-Chicago could make sense as flights can be had pretty easy from MDW and ORD to Fort Lauderdale.

34 minutes ago, schlim said:

The Kansas City Scouts are officially back!

Well, not in the NHL, in the NAHL. And not actually in Kansas City, Missouri, but Shawnee, Kansas. 

It does mention that it's temporary; besides, Shawnee is part of the Kansas City, Kansas metropolitan area, so it's not really that big of a deal. And Kansas City, Kansas is right next to Kansas City, Missouri anyways. 😛

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

It does mention that it's temporary; besides, Shawnee is part of the Kansas City, Kansas metropolitan area, so it's not really that big of a deal. And Kansas City, Kansas is right next to Kansas City, Missouri anyways. 😛

I do live in KC, so I know my way around the metro area ;) I think they're moving to Olathe when the arena they are building there will be finished, which is just another 15 minutes fown the road.

I'm not sure how handcuffed they were on the logo (due to NHL copyrights and Native American restraints), but the logo?/wordmark? is Oklahoma City Thunder level simplicity.

EDIT:
Oh, looks like they have an actual logo:
spacer.png

4 minutes ago, schlim said:

I'm not sure how handcuffed they were on the logo (due to NHL copyrights and Native American restraints), but the logo?/wordmark? is Oklahoma City Thunder level simplicity.

That's the team wordmark. This is probably going to be the primary logo, if I had to guess;

spacer.png

• Like 4

That's good. It's kinda weird that Harrisburg is closer to DC, at least as the crow flies, than either of the big two PA cities. You wouldn't think of it that way.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 hours ago, the admiral said:

That's good. It's kinda weird that Harrisburg is closer to DC, at least as the crow flies, than either of the big two PA cities. You wouldn't think of it that way.

Not to mention, a good part of southern PA, especially in the central part of the state, are Baltimore/Washington fans

• 1 month later...

The Pegulas have pretty much blown out the entire Rochester Americans front office, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a precursor to something worse for hockey fans in Rochester.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Pegulas have pretty much blown out the entire Rochester Americans front office, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a precursor to something worse for hockey fans in Rochester.

Oh man, if the Pegulas move or fold Rochester, there'll be absolute hell for them to pay for it in terms of publicity. The team's played in Rochester since 1956, it's one of the oldest franchises in the AHL.

4 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Well, i think the Sabres also fired their GM in Buffalo so it sounds like a top down approach.  

6 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Well, i think the Sabres also fired their GM in Buffalo so it sounds like a top down approach.  

The weird thing is the Amerks have been pretty good at developing players and were doing pretty well the last few seasons. So I don't know why exactly the Pegulas felt it necessary to clean out their staff, as well.

7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The weird thing is the Amerks have been pretty good at developing players and were doing pretty well the last few seasons. So I don't know why exactly the Pegulas felt it necessary to clean out their staff, as well.

True, but if the issues were at the NHL level, and the staff in Rochester had connections to the old Buffalo GM, it may be a better decision to start with a clean slate.

I've seen it done with friends in the MLB player development side of things so it doesnt surprise me.