JackieMoon

Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

On 4/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, monkeypower said:

To play connect the dots a bit, with that Utica trademark filing, could the Canucks be thinking about giving Abbotsford a second chance at the AHL?

Called it.

Good to see the Canucks get their farm team closer to home, however Abbotsford is still quite a ways from the teams in California, Nevada, Arizona and Colorado, even Manitoba. The Kraken are putting their farm club in Palm Springs CA in a couple years. Calgary and Edmonton need to look at getting their clubs to the Northwest.

Board of Governors approves franchise relocations | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Abbotsford Canucks and Utica Devils were approved by the board.

I'd assume this means Colorado shifts over to the Central Division. When Palm Springs joins (barring no other relocations), I'd say we're looking at new divisions for Tucson and Grand Rapids.

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Board of Governors approves franchise relocations | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Abbotsford Canucks and Utica Devils were approved by the board.

I'd assume this means Colorado shifts over to the Central Division. When Palm Springs joins (barring no other relocations), I'd say we're looking at new divisions for Tucson and Grand Rapids.

The Utica team is remaining the Comets, actually, per the Devils' press release;

"After multiple discussions and evaluating the options available for the future of our American Hockey League franchise, we have agreed to partner with a local operating group, Mohawk Valley Garden, in Utica, NY, led by Comets President Robert Esche, to relocate our AHL franchise starting with the 2021-22 season. We are pleased to announce that this is a ten-year partnership which establishes a mutual commitment between our organization and the city of Utica. We look forward to creating new memories for the fans, as the next generation of Devils' stars develop their professional careers at Adirondack Bank Center. Working with Robert and his team will be an exciting opportunity as we look to build upon the passion and enthusiasm that they've created in making Utica one of the top markets in the AHL."

The club will remain the Utica Comets with an unveiling of jersey designs and colors to follow at a later date.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Utica team is remaining the Comets, actually, per the Devils' press release;

My understanding is that Vancouver is moving the AHL franchise, which they own. Local interests in Utica hold the rights to the team name, so it is staying. New Jersey is relocating the AHL franchise it owns, and is assuming the identity, as it reached a deal with the Comets.

It's all convoluted, in any case. I could be wrong, but that's the way it all reads to me.

Edit: It just dawned on me that you may have thought I meant that the teams would be the Abbotsford Canucks and the Utica Devils. Those were just placeholder terms since I hadn't seen anything more specific. Though I did expect Jersey to revive the Utica Devils.

Edited by BeerGuyJordan
it just occurred to me...

I believe, from the article I posted about this a bit back, that there had been a trademark filing for "Utica Devils", but I guess they're sticking with Comets.

Good, I'd say.

Esche likely registered it just in case the negotiations with New Jersey didn't go well and they couldn't keep the Comets name.

23 hours ago, Geoff said:

Esche likely registered it just in case the negotiations with New Jersey didn't go well and they couldn't keep the Comets name.

is it possible that Esche would have a throwback jersey to honor the old Utica Devils for the next season? I wonder if it might be the case but I guess Esche wanted a backup in case the Comets name would have been tossed out fast?

Former AHL markets have a hard time keeping fans coming to the games when they go to the Coast. I'm sure this will go over well.

Supposedly the arena has an out clause for an ECHL and AHL replacement. I just don't know iif having a Fed team for year will really be that beneficial.