Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Good to see the Canucks get their farm team closer to home, however Abbotsford is still quite a ways from the teams in California, Nevada, Arizona and Colorado, even Manitoba. The Kraken are putting their farm club in Palm Springs CA in a couple years. Calgary and Edmonton need to look at getting their clubs to the Northwest.

Signature intentionally left blank

Board of Governors approves franchise relocations | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Abbotsford Canucks and Utica Devils were approved by the board.

I'd assume this means Colorado shifts over to the Central Division. When Palm Springs joins (barring no other relocations), I'd say we're looking at new divisions for Tucson and Grand Rapids.

• Like 1

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Board of Governors approves franchise relocations | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

Abbotsford Canucks and Utica Devils were approved by the board.

I'd assume this means Colorado shifts over to the Central Division. When Palm Springs joins (barring no other relocations), I'd say we're looking at new divisions for Tucson and Grand Rapids.

The Utica team is remaining the Comets, actually, per the Devils' press release;

"After multiple discussions and evaluating the options available for the future of our American Hockey League franchise, we have agreed to partner with a local operating group, Mohawk Valley Garden, in Utica, NY, led by Comets President Robert Esche, to relocate our AHL franchise starting with the 2021-22 season. We are pleased to announce that this is a ten-year partnership which establishes a mutual commitment between our organization and the city of Utica. We look forward to creating new memories for the fans, as the next generation of Devils' stars develop their professional careers at Adirondack Bank Center. Working with Robert and his team will be an exciting opportunity as we look to build upon the passion and enthusiasm that they've created in making Utica one of the top markets in the AHL."

The club will remain the Utica Comets with an unveiling of jersey designs and colors to follow at a later date.

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Utica team is remaining the Comets, actually, per the Devils' press release;

My understanding is that Vancouver is moving the AHL franchise, which they own. Local interests in Utica hold the rights to the team name, so it is staying. New Jersey is relocating the AHL franchise it owns, and is assuming the identity, as it reached a deal with the Comets.

It's all convoluted, in any case. I could be wrong, but that's the way it all reads to me.

Edit: It just dawned on me that you may have thought I meant that the teams would be the Abbotsford Canucks and the Utica Devils. Those were just placeholder terms since I hadn't seen anything more specific. Though I did expect Jersey to revive the Utica Devils.

Edited by BeerGuyJordan
it just occurred to me...

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Esche likely registered it just in case the negotiations with New Jersey didn't go well and they couldn't keep the Comets name.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

23 hours ago, Geoff said:

Esche likely registered it just in case the negotiations with New Jersey didn't go well and they couldn't keep the Comets name.

is it possible that Esche would have a throwback jersey to honor the old Utica Devils for the next season? I wonder if it might be the case but I guess Esche wanted a backup in case the Comets name would have been tossed out fast?

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

4 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Binghamton may have lost the Devils, but they're getting a replacement...if you can call an FPHL team a replacement for an AHL team.

OOF! They went from AAA to beer league. Binghamton had a good minor league run 1973-2021 (well more like 2020, since they played their last season in Newark NJ)

Signature intentionally left blank

Former AHL markets have a hard time keeping fans coming to the games when they go to the Coast. I'm sure this will go over well.

Supposedly the arena has an out clause for an ECHL and AHL replacement. I just don't know iif having a Fed team for year will really be that beneficial.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 2 weeks later...

The NAHL announced today that the Kansas City Scouts have been sold and are being relocated to Amarillo before they've even played a game.

• Lamar Hunt Jr.'s company bought the Topeka franchise in April of 2018
  • Announced in February of 2020 that the team would move to Kansas City (or Shawnee, KS to be specific)  for the 20-21 season
  • Went dormant for the 20-21 season because of COVID with plans to return for the 21-22 season
  • Announced in March of 2021 that they were going to be dormant for the 21-22 season as well
  • NAHL announced today that the team is being sold to an Amarillo group and will relocate there for (and appear to be planning to play in) the 21-22 season 

Kind of a weird story.

---

I don't have an Athletic subscription, so I'm just going off the tweets from Athletic writers and the article preview, but it appears the AHL Pacific Division players aren't happy that they are having to play the "playoffs".

A non-binding survey of players by the Professional Hockey Players’ Association (PHPA) yielded a 133-8 vote against a postseason tournament within the Pacific Division.

IbjBaeE.png

On 5/21/2021 at 11:16 PM, monkeypower said:

I don't have an Athletic subscription, so I'm just going off the tweets from Athletic writers and the article preview, but it appears the AHL Pacific Division players aren't happy that they are having to play the "playoffs".

Found this:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/05/controversy-surrounds-ahls-pacific-division-playoffs.html

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 3 weeks later...

The AHL had some Reel Line Mints news today, announcing the divisions will be a 9-team Pacific, 7 in the Central, 8 in the Atlantic, and 7 in the North for 2021-22. They also announced they will finally achieve a league-wide standard of a 72-game season... for 2022-23. For next season, the special snowflakes in the Pacific get a 68-game schedule, while each team in the rest of the league gets to choose how many games it would like to play; either 72 or 76. This means that the Central Division will have three teams playing 76 games and the other four playing 72, so if you liked points percentage before, hoo-boy, what a treat!

If the NHL is a garage league, the AHL is an attic-above-the-garage league.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

13 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

And said attic league is full of toys judging by where some affiliates were before the last realignment what with all the teams on the West Coast having their farm teams in New England. Or up until very recently with Vancouver having their AAA squad on the other side of the continent. I think the old NFL divisions pre-2002 made more sense.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

The AHL had some Reel Line Mints news today, announcing the divisions will be a 9-team Pacific, 7 in the Central, 8 in the Atlantic, and 7 in the North for 2021-22. They also announced they will finally achieve a league-wide standard of a 72-game season... for 2022-23. For next season, the special snowflakes in the Pacific get a 68-game schedule, while each team in the rest of the league gets to choose how many games it would like to play; either 72 or 76. This means that the Central Division will have three teams playing 76 games and the other four playing 72, so if you liked points percentage before, hoo-boy, what a treat!

Hey at least they finally got around to forcing the Pacific to play as many games as the rest of the league, and standardized the rest down to 72. It's a step in the right direction if nothing else. 

• 3 weeks later...

Seattle is temporarily affiliating with Charlotte (split with Florida) until Palm Springs is ready.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

3 minutes ago, Burmy said:

I STILL don't understand how and why the 'Canes-Checks affiliation fell apart...it sounded so perfect in every way.

From what I've heard (only rumor and speculation online, nothing really noteworthy, but it's the best I got) Tom Dundon pissed off the Checkers' ownership, thus the deal fell apart. It sucks for us, because now we have to deal with Florida, and it sucks for the Canes, because now they have to deal with Chicago.

the user formerly known as cdclt