Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Canucks say they'll be "bringing to life" their AHL affiliate on July 9th. The pic used has a green background, So I think it's likely to be the cornerstone color of the identity. I don't really have a reason for it, but I keep thinking they might go the Abbotsford Canucks route and give Johnny some love.

Source: Facebook

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

meanwhile in the ECHL, the played-20-fewer-games-than-everyone-else Komets win the Kelly Cup by defeating the best-record-in-the-league-when-the-2020-season-was-canceled Stingrays. no, I'm not bitter at all. why would you assume that.

53Ocz8U.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's clear that the AHL is the only level of hockey that works in St. John's. Juniors and ECHL can't make it happen. The IceCaps had a good thing going, but apparently suburban Montreal needed an AHL team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

18 minutes ago, Geoff said:

The issue isn't the ECHL. It's the owner's relationship with the arena/city. Deacon Sports didn't kick out the Growlers, Deacon Sports (owner of the Growlers) was kicked out over allegations of "disrespectful workplace conduct"

The city and teams (the Edge are caught up in this :censored:show, too) have been at each other's throats for a while, though. Seems weird that these allegations are coming up now, of all things.

Yeah, after seeming like they wouldn't be able to play in the arena this season then a last minute patch job saved it. Now it seems the city found a way to kick them out and claim they have a reason. 

I don't know the specifics of the allegations but from experience, there are plenty of things working in a minor league office that could be twisted into disrespectful workplace conduct. Hell, working anywhere really. Just a condescending coworker could be classified as disrespectful workplace conduct.

I'm assuming the allegations are a little more serious but the phrasing is unnecessarily vague.

• Like 1

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing more about it (and factoring in how the City has interacted with past tenants), it's 100% they just want to kick the Growlers out because they don't want to relinquish control of the arena. I'm honestly surprised anyone thought this would end well after the City kicked out the Edge (also owned by Deacon Sports) who played in a Canadian league with cities the fans might actually care about in favor of a team in the freaking ABA. Who in St. John's is going to care about the game against a team from Beaver County or Herkimer? Also, do you want to be associated with a league whose website is realabaleague.com

• Like 3

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

After the St Johns Maple Leafs moved to Toronto, the city just hasnt been able to handle pro/jr teams in their arena. Its as if the city (the government, not the fans) just doesnt care about sports in the city. The fans deserve better from their city.

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

• 3 weeks later...

Some turbulent times in Omaha right now in the USHL.  An awkward coach dismissal, remaining coaching staff resigning en masse, players boycotting games, a 14 hour bus ride, budget cuts leaving goalie with only one stick. The league has stepped in and placed the team president on administrative leave and is now under league control.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/omaha-lancers-latest-investigation-underway-sources-reveal-more-concerns/

• Like 3

Signature intentionally left blank

• 5 months later...

Just abandoning trying to run the AHL team as a business I see.  Alternatively is there any Alberta city of remotely suitable size that doesn't have a WHL team? Assuming a WHL team would kill an AHL team at the box office.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

39 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The Flames potentially moving their AHL team? Well I never.

"into the Calgary area" though?

I’d personally love to see the Flames send their AHL affiliate go to either Salt Lake or Boise (with another team—maybe Bakersfield or Charlotte—going to the other city), but I guess that kind of move makes too much sense these days.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

13 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I’d personally love to see the Flames send their AHL affiliate go to either Salt Lake or Boise (with another team—maybe Bakersfield or Charlotte—going to the other city), but I guess that kind of move makes too much sense these days.

Not to be "that person" but this seems very much like a "no hockey in the south" suggestion and not a logical one. The Checkers are a good team close to their affiliate that draws pretty well for a minor league team (6th in the AHL last season, by the way).

Most teams seem to be aiming for the proximity advantage of their AHL team, so I don't know how likely a SLC or Boise team is. Then again, Miami is a few hundred miles from Charlotte so clearly not every team follows that philosophy.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

18 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

Not to be "that person" but this seems very much like a "no hockey in the south" suggestion and not a logical one. The Checkers are a good team close to their affiliate that draws pretty well for a minor league team (6th in the AHL last season, by the way).

Most teams seem to be aiming for the proximity advantage of their AHL team, so I don't know how likely a SLC or Boise team is. Then again, Miami is a few hundred miles from Charlotte so clearly not every team follows that philosophy.

Yea, I mentioned Charlotte because of their falling out with the Hurricanes, that Checkers’ ownership is rumored to be looking to sell, and that (according to HFBoards—take that with a huge grain of salt) the ownership of the Atlanta Gladiators ECHL team is looking to move up to the AHL.

I wouldn’t consider myself a “hockey only belongs in cold-weather city” purist, and not trying to make that claim—just stating what I’ve heard from others.

Edited by DustDevil61
From others
  • Like 1

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396