Minor League Hockey Shake-up...coming

JackieMoon

51 minutes ago, Burmy said:

This is another reason I get scared whenever I hear about the Preds' on-and-off proposed new minor league arena in Clarksville...because I worry that MKE might lose the Admirals (or that they'd be relegated to the ECHL)

Could MKE maybe get a nhl expansion team? I mean there is a new arena there. it’s kinda baffling they don't already cause I think of them and Minnesota as states that are perfect hockey states. 

2 hours ago, Burkell007 said:

Could MKE maybe get a nhl expansion team? I mean there is a new arena there. it’s kinda baffling they don't already cause I think of them and Minnesota as states that are perfect hockey states. 

Maybe the Coyotes can relocate to Milwaukee… They’re already in the central division 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

25 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Maybe the Coyotes can relocate to Milwaukee… They’re already in the central division 

2 hours ago, Burkell007 said:

The Blackhawks have historically done everything they can to quash any attempt at Milwaukee getting an NHL franchise. Add in Minnesota and it's even less likely, relocation or otherwise, since losing Wisconsin means they have only Iowa as an out-of-state market. Hell, both Minnesota and Chicago have a game in Milwaukee this season.

3 hours ago, Burmy said:

This is another reason I get scared whenever I hear about the Preds' on-and-off proposed new minor league arena in Clarksville...because I worry that MKE might lose the Admirals (or that they'd be relegated to the ECHL)

The difference there is that the Admirals look to have local ownership and the now Wranglers were owned by the Flames themselves.  For the Preds to have a team closer to home, they'd likely have to purchase a team themselves.  if the Admirals arent interested in selling, then the Preds would have to search elsewhere for a franchise.

3 hours ago, Burkell007 said:

Doubtful.  With the NHL at 32 teams, I see them staying put at that number for a while.

31 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The Blackhawks have historically done everything they can to quash any attempt at Milwaukee getting an NHL franchise. Add in Minnesota and it's even less likely, relocation or otherwise, since losing Wisconsin means they have only Iowa as an out-of-state market. Hell, both Minnesota and Chicago have a game in Milwaukee this season.

Did I miss some big news about the Dakotas? Did we lose them? 🤣

• LOL 1

57 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Milwaukee feels far enough away from the Twin Cities that it’s not really a part of the Wild’s market. I’m fairly certain that Bally Sports Wisconsin does play Wild games, but I’m not exactly sure how far that reach is in Wisconsin.

Of all the Wisconsin people I know, (most of whom live west of Eau Claire,) even though they’re Packers fans because of their “Wisconsin Heritage” their also Wild, Twins, Timberwolves, and Loons fans.  There’s only a few peopleI know  who are Brewers or Bucks fans, and it’s because they’re from the Milwaukee area. 

I can understand the Blackhawks pushback on a Milwaukee team, but not really the Wild. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

21 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Milwaukee feels far enough away from the Twin Cities that it’s not really a part of the Wild’s market. I’m fairly certain that Bally Sports Wisconsin does play Wild games, but I’m not exactly sure how far that reach is in Wisconsin.

Of all the Wisconsin people I know, (most of whom live west of Eau Claire,) even though they’re Packers fans because of their “Wisconsin Heritage” their also Wild, Twins, Timberwolves, and Loons fans.  There’s only a few peopleI know  who are Brewers or Bucks fans, and it’s because they’re from the Milwaukee area. 

I can understand the Blackhawks pushback on a Milwaukee team, but not really the Wild. 

So, for whatever this is worth.

The only team blacked out for EPSN+ in Milwaukee would be the wild according to the NHL website.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Ya, funny enough the Wild were always blacked out on NHL.TV in Milwaukee but not the Blackhawks (unless nationally televised).

In terms of the new arena in Milwaukee, it was built as basketball-first, unlike the Bradley Center it replaced. It's not quite as bad as the Barclays Center in Brooklyn for hockey but it's not great. Here's a picture of a college hockey tournament that was held there this past winter.

spacer.png

The upper bowl won't be tarped off for the NHL preseason game but as you can see, the end seats will still need to be retracted to fit the rink.

spacer.png

Yeah, that's basically the Yah Hey Barclays. Maybe instead of Honky the car, they'd have a rider mower or something.

Enough money went into the Mecca that the AHL is there to stay, I think, but I don't see an opening for the NHL in Milwaukee anymore. I've said it once and I'll say it again: imagine how agonizingly fun the 2010s Hawks-Perds rivalry would have been if the Hawks had been paired with a Milwaukee-based team instead.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
39 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Is that even allowed by the AHL? 

Because IIRC, the lack of an NHL affiliate is why the Cincinnati RailRaiders never got off the ground.

bYhYmxh.png

The Wolves for years have been a thorn in the side of whatever NHL club they had an agreement with by continuing to go rogue and ignoring whatever development plan was set up.  With the stringent AHL rules on non-NHL players I don't see how they're going to maintain a roster let alone pay for a whole team without the parent club footing the bill.

VmWIn6B.png

Maybe they figure the Blackhawks current level of suckitude might stick and that means there is a window.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, rams80 said:

Maybe they figure the Blackhawks current level of suckitude might stick and that means there is a window.

It’s a pipe dream, but one could argue, at least in theory, that the Wolves might as well try to become Chicago NHL Team #2 in that case.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2 hours ago, nickp91 said:

would love the Canes and Checkers to renew their partnership as it should be

Why have complete control over development, easy logistical access to call-ups, and expand your fanbase into one of the fastest growing markets in the US that can lead to increased ticket sales, merchandise sales, and TV viewership at the NHL level, when you can get a slightly better financial deal from a team across the country who's fans and management couldn't place Raleigh on a map?

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

21 hours ago, Burmy said:

Is that even allowed by the AHL? 

Because IIRC, the lack of an NHL affiliate is why the Cincinnati RailRaiders never got off the ground.

I'd imagine this is part of the current drama going on in the AHL in regards to Scott Howson.

And there is historic precedent for AHL teams that are independent of any NHL franchise, yes, it just hasn't happened in a while; not since early in the IceCats' first season of 94-95.