Worst commissioner in sports history.

HotWheelsdude

I don't care what the owners think after the 1992 players strike, they should have not forced John Ziegler to step down. The owners should have regreted on letting Ziegler go from the position.

I am not too sure that Ziegler was that great, either. For example, he passed up a national US TV deal in the 80's. You could have had Lemieux and Gretzky on almost every weekend, showcasing the top two players in the game.

I do agree with Bettman, though. He is a joke. Goodell and David Stern are also on my crap list because they were/are so corrupt. Stern oversaw crooked officials (the 02 Kings-Lakers series is a prime example), and Goodell let the Cheatriots get away with murder.

This is why Stern wins the "Worst. Commissioner. Ever." award. For all the faults of Bettman, Selig, and Tagliabue/Goodell, the legitimacy of their league and games were never put into question like Stern faced with the Tim Donaghy gambling scandal. The NBA has forever lost "the benefit of the doubt" when it comes to their games being arranged due to this.

I don't care what the owners think after the 1992 players strike, they should have not forced John Ziegler to step down. The owners should have regreted on letting Ziegler go from the position.

I am not too sure that Ziegler was that great, either. For example, he passed up a national US TV deal in the 80's. You could have had Lemieux and Gretzky on almost every weekend, showcasing the top two players in the game.

That's true. But, I liked the way he ran the league, and did not cause any problems to the players or the owners. Don't get me wrong, I have to agree with you there. In fact, that would be my only major problem with Ziegler as a commissioner in the NHL.

So hot, so cool

Hot_Wheels_1968.png

It's Gary Bettman. He has caused nothing but problems to the league.

According to who?

What do you think the job of "commissioner" actually means? It's not to be well-liked by fans. It's to make the owners more money. Bettman made the NHL a crapton of money and got a salary cap, he's done a fabulous job to the only people that matter.

I know what commissioner means, but forcing three lockouts in less then 20 years is just putrid!

So hot, so cool

Hot_Wheels_1968.png

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say that we haven't. Jacobs and Karmanos, two of the most powerful owners, have gotten tons of crap here. (Ed Snider is the other big one, but it's hard to hate Ed Snider. He's done too much good.)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nobody's letting the owners off the hook.

But more than being a mere puppet to their whims, a commissioner helps set policy and guide the owners to his way of thinking. Like a CEO who must ostensibly report to shareholders and a board, he shapes their wishes more than he follows them.

I do agree with Bettman, though. He is a joke. Goodell and David Stern are also on my crap list because they were/are so corrupt. Stern oversaw crooked officials (the 02 Kings-Lakers series is a prime example), and Goodell let the Cheatriots get away with murder.

This is why Stern wins the "Worst. Commissioner. Ever." award. For all the faults of Bettman, Selig, and Tagliabue/Goodell, the legitimacy of their league and games were never put into question like Stern faced with the Tim Donaghy gambling scandal. The NBA has forever lost "the benefit of the doubt" when it comes to their games being arranged due to this.

Stern? Nah. He's not even in the bottom ten. He took a coke-fueled NBA that could barely get its championship series games on live network television during late night and guided it into position to its present popularity and prosperity. He might be an ***hole to be sure, but he's basketball's equivalent of Pete Rozelle.

I wouldn't say that we haven't. Jacobs and Karmanos, two of the most powerful owners, have gotten tons of crap here. (Ed Snider is the other big one, but it's hard to hate Ed Snider. He's done too much good.)

Karmanos? Powerful? In what universe?

FWIW, picking a 'worst' commissioner among the big four sports is like comparing a rotten tomato to an overripe grapefruit... they don't really compare well enough to compete. Baseball had Frick and Eckert. Football had Joe Carr. Basketball had Larry O'Brien. Hockey has Bettman and before him John Ziegler. Each were uniquely bad in their own way.

nav-logo.png

Karmanos is one of the most tenured owners in the league and sits on the executive committee and I think also the competition committee, though that one may have been the ever-competitive Jim Rutherford. He's accrued power by not cashing out or dying. He's done nothing else for the league.

Karmanos is one of the most tenured owners in the league and sits on the executive committee and I think also the competition committee, though that one may have been the ever-competitive Jim Rutherford. He's accrued power by not cashing out or dying. He's done nothing else for the league.

As a guy who's been in Raleigh longer than his team has? I can't argue with that. :)

nav-logo.png

The CFL probably has the :censored:tiest owners/Commissioner in all of pro sports.

-Canadian roster rule: BRB lots of low calibre Canadian players making teams just because of a stupid rule. This lowers the quality of play. They should get rid of this rule or reduce the number of Canadian players teams are obliged to have. Sure there are some very good Canadian players but those very good ones would make the team without such a rule

-Refusing to look into expansion in U.S northern cities. Look we all know the first CFL USA expansion was not a good one except for Baltimore. But that's because they went to places like Birmingham and Memphis. There has been some interest and possible onwership groups in recent years for U.S border cities but the CFL wants to stay ''purely Canadian'' and therefore remain a tiny 9 team league with the same repetitive matchups year after year and where 6 out of 9 teams make the playoffs. 6 out of 9 teams and previously 6 out of 8 teams making the playofs makes for mostly useless regualr season games. We've seen the Grey Cup won by .500 teams and even losing record teams.

-Refusing to change rules. At least get rid of the stupid ''rouge'' rule. A game and even a championchip cna be won by a punt or missed field goal. That point does not make any sense.

-CFL marketing is very ''bush league''. Doesn't feel like a big league at all.

I could go on and on but this league could beso much more than it is. lol There's actually one owner who owns 2 teams.

All the problems you mentioned with the CFL are part of what I think makes it so great. I don't think Mark Cohon is really that bad.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

-Refusing to look into expansion in U.S northern cities. Look we all know the first CFL USA expansion was not a good one except for Baltimore. But that's because they went to places like Birmingham and Memphis. There has been some interest and possible onwership groups in recent years for U.S border cities but the CFL wants to stay ''purely Canadian'' and therefore remain a tiny 9 team league with the same repetitive matchups year after year and where 6 out of 9 teams make the playoffs. 6 out of 9 teams and previously 6 out of 8 teams making the playofs makes for mostly useless regualr season games. We've seen the Grey Cup won by .500 teams and even losing record teams.

There are no good northern US cities without an NFL team. If the Bills or the Vikings moved, I think those would have been golden opportunities for the CFL, but I just don't see any reasonably large northern city that is lacking a team. Hartford maybe? But I feel like that would be pretty heavily split between the Pats and the NY teams.

Between the NFL and college football, there's no place in American hearts for slightly askew three-down football, especially not as a high-offense alternative when the other two are already high-offense.

What about cities like Rochester, NY or Grand Rapids, MI for the CFL?

Maybe if they were in Canada and grew up with the CFL. I think you need bigger cities to introduce the sport.

The problem is that Canadian football is really more a Western Canadian thing than anything, so it seems (witness the on-and-off existence of the Alouettes, the years and years without a team in Ottawa, and the slow death of the Argonauts), and there's nowhere left out west to put teams. Saskatoon is out because they're committed to the Riders. Victoria is probably committed to the Lions. All those one-stoplight WHL towns, forget it. Would the CFL be the league to take a chance on Fort McMurray? And why am I talking about the CFL? No one cares!

EDIT: Google Maps Street View has finally made its way up the one road up to Fort McMurray. Now I can better see this strange phenomenon of a town.

Archived