2014 NFL Season Anti-Thread

The_Admiral

Not all children can be raised wholly with a gentle hand, just as not all children need whippings (for example, I was whipped less than my oldest sister, because I didn't test boundaries as much).

Sometimes, you really do have to turn the car around.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oh goodness gracious, the Sports Social Justice movement would crap a whole brick wall if Goodell were replaced with a prominent Bush-era neoconservative.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bush hasn't been President since early 2009... that's like forever-and-a-half ago these days. Kids don't listen to music made before they were born; I don't think they care about who used to be President. All the hashtag activists were probably in kindergarten when we invaded Iraq.

Besides, you're not even allowed to hate a woman who is black, unless you get their permission (like suing the US government).

you're not even allowed to hate a woman who is black

unless she's Condoleezza Rice, who has been deemed to have forfeited both her womanhood and her blackness.

unless she's Condoleezza Rice, who has been deemed to have forfeited both her womanhood and her blackness.

But she even has those freckles like Morgan Freeman!

I'm really pleased with the way the Peterson thing is blowing up. In hindsight, it makes sense. The pictures aren't quite as shocking as a video of a man dragging an unconscious woman around or punching her right in the face, but the Peterson thing doesn't have the ickiness of "Oh, she uh still married him, huh?" or the victim running to Twitter to bemoan the suspension of the man who knocked her unconscious. People don't hesitate to run to the defense of a child. I haven't heard much "Well we didn't see the tree branch, so we don't really know."

Also, it helped that the Vikings royally screwed up by reinstating him so soon.

Hmmm.

e240217-1.gif

Last night I was talking to my dad about this and I thanked him for never beating me with a switch or anything else. His response: "well I was disciplined with objects when I was growing up and I vowed I would never do that to my kids".

So the "it's how I was raised" argument is for morons who can't see past their own arms. If you were abused as a child and you use physical harm and fear to discipline your kids then you're perpetuating a dangerous cycle.

Part of being human is evolution. As people we get better, we learn from mistakes, we grow, we move on from poor practices and figure out better ways of doing things. There was a generation that was raised in factories getting their tiny fingers and limbs cut off by giant machines. Those people didn't force the same childhood on their children because "it's how they were raised". Instead they made laws that forbid it so their kids could have a better life than them. Isn't that the point? Why would you want your kid to have it exactly as good as you? Why wouldn't you want to make their life better than yours?

This is interesting because I have had a similar talk with my parents in the past and I thanked them for spanking me as I needed a stern force belt across the butt because I was a horrible kid at times. I used to have the mentality of everything should be given to me because I was the baby of the family. But my mother had no part of that and she eventually taught me that I was no better than my siblings. Was I beaten? No, but I did receive my fair share of spankings by belt, switch or fly swatter and sure I had welps on my butt sometimes, but it was necessary to put me on track.

I understand that everyone has a different thought on this manner and this may be cultural/regional way of disciplining children. I have witnessed both methods (spankings or timeout) and based on the teenagers that I have seen grow throughout their life from young children to young men and women, I see positives to both methods. But I have seen more discipline and work ethic come out of the children that were spanked. I see a lot of teenagers today that are lazy, stubborn and self-centered and I blame that solely on discipline in the household. While I see other teenagers out working at McDonald's, working on a farm, or being involved in school or local activities and most of those kids were spanked as children.

For me personally, I have been working since the age of 11 and now I am 41. I have an outstanding work ethic as I strive to be the best at what I do. I have respect for others and love everyone (even if we disagree on topics). One of my friends is 39, his father pays his child support and rent. He blows his money as soon as he gets it. He moves from job-to-job and yes, he was never disciplined as a child. He used to say that I had it rough as a child, well, looking back through time, I believe he had it rough and he could have been so much more than he is today.

My grandfather was thrown down a flight of stairs on the day of his bar mitzvah because he was supposedly disrespectful to my great grandfather. My father was whipped with a wire hanger as a form of discipline. Me? My father never laid a hand on me. Why? Because he knew that sort of crap belonged in the G-ddamn old country. He never hit me, and he never hit my sister. We turned out perfectly fine.

Here's the thing though. This isn't about simply being able to spank an unruly child. That's not the issue, and you should know that. This is about Adrian Peterson beating a four year old with a stick to the point that he was bleeding from his thighs and scrotum. I don't care if you think a parent has the right to spank a child or not. What Adrian Peterson did went so far beyond that, it's sickening to see so many people defending him.

I don't want to get into it or anything, but Rice has more lost her personhood than any other defining characteristic due to her being a horrible war-creating monster. We would have been better off had Call of Duty been invented before 2000 so she could have fragged noobs virtually instead of in real life.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Now we have a player actively antagonizing the league's biggest sponsor... Arian Foster on Twitter: "Lol ok, alcohol company. Selling poison on that high horse. Domestic violence and alcohol damn near synonymous." I wouldn't be surprised to see teams ban Twitter altogether (like tomorrow).

Mike Lupica has an amazing column : http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/lupica-goodell-plays-roger-dodger-phony-vikings-adrian-peterson-back-article-1.1940924

picard_clapping.gif

I don't want to get into it or anything, but Rice has more lost her personhood than any other defining characteristic due to her being a horrible war-creating monster. We would have been better off had Call of Duty been invented before 2000 so she could have fragged noobs virtually instead of in real life.

You don't want to get into anything? Then don't say anything. That's what's great about this place, you have the option to press "submit post."

And forfeited her womanhood and blackness? What the hell does that even mean? She's a white dude now? If the shoe was on the other foot and Nuordur or Tank said something about Hillary like that, people would be down their throats. Maybe keep politics out of an NFL thread.

Views aside, it would really suck for the Commissioner's chair to become the next CNN/FOX/NBC/MSNBC/ABC Sunday Show Commentator position. It won't happen (again) for any of the Big 4, NCAA, or MLS thankfully, but i could see a Secretary of Widgets for a Republican do something with the PGA or someone from a Democratic administration work for the WNBA or tennis if this chart is accurate.

Views aside, it would really suck for the Commissioner's chair to become the next CNN/FOX/NBC/MSNBC/ABC Sunday Show Commentator position. It won't happen (again) for any of the Big 4, NCAA, or MLS thankfully, but i could see a Secretary of Widgets for a Republican do something with the PGA or someone from a Democratic administration work for the WNBA or tennis if this chart is accurate.

Nobody would become NFL commissioner as a scheme to collect more votes in the future... it's too easy to be hated. The only current commissioner that people like is Adam Silver, and that's because he hasn't been on the job long and had a slam dunk handed to him.

i could see a Secretary of Widgets for a Republican do something with the PGA or someone from a Democratic administration work for the WNBA or tennis if this chart is accurate.

NHL skewing Republican with a fanbase primarily in Minnesota, New England, Michigan, New York, and all of Canada? I'm not so sure I agree 100% with your survey work there, Lou.

EDIT: That being said, there was that horrifying subset of 1% supplicants who showed their faces (or rather their asses) during the lockout. Probably Perds fans.

Bush hasn't been President since early 2009... that's like forever-and-a-half ago these days. Kids don't listen to music made before they were born; I don't think they care about who used to be President. All the hashtag activists were probably in kindergarten when we invaded Iraq.

Besides, you're not even allowed to hate a woman who is black, unless you get their permission (like suing the US government).

I believe the repeated recent mention of how ISIS probably wouldn't even exist if not for the whole "let's invade Iraq guyz!" bit is reminding the social justice crowd just how crappy a President Bush was. As well as looking at one's pay stub or job prospects.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wait I think they are one of the major sponsors of the Rams and crap Operation LA is going to now need for the team to trade for Adrian Peterson isn't it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

People don't hesitate to run to the defense of a child. I haven't heard much "Well we didn't see the tree branch, so we don't really know."

You wouldn't believe the number of old people starting up with the rants about "I was spanked as a kid and I turned out okay, all kids are spoiled brats these days, pussification of America, etc."

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I believe the repeated recent mention of how ISIS probably wouldn't even exist if not for the whole "let's invade Iraq guyz!" bit is reminding the social justice crowd just how crappy a President Bush was. As well as looking at one's pay stub or job prospects.

ISIS is totally not a thing. Just the JV team, so sayeth the dunce who spiked the football after declaring he ended the war. But for fun, those people might want to look at their pay stub and job prospects from 2009, when both were better. They also had better health insurance for cheaper, too!

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived