the admiral

2014 NFL Season Anti-Thread

The shield really is the unofficial religion of the US..."May Goodell be with you." "And also with you."

I would say that football is the unofficial religion of the US.

There are plenty of folks that are just as insane about college and high school (Steubenville) as others are about the pros.

I wonder which thread will have more posts from this day forward, this thread or the thread talking about what is actually happening on the field?

Let's check the leaderboard:

Since Crashcarson suggested we take all the other stuff to another thread...

Thread: 123 posts

Anti-Thread: 142 posts

Go Anti-Thread!

Let's draw a line in the sand from right now; anyone who gets into trouble now has to be remarkably dumb to think that their dirty laundry won't end up in public and embarrassing the league further. Automatic one year suspension for being a complete moron. To that end, you have to hand it to Dwyer for trying to prevent his wife from calling 911 on him. Apparently, though, that's against the law, too. Catch 22.

I wonder how many of these wives, girlfriends, or "baby's mommas" (namely, should they be now ex's and vengeful) could use this new domestic abuse policy against an NFL player, whether it be framing or all-together feigning a story to get back at these guys that might have done them wrong? Is there a statute of limitations in this policy?

I wonder how many of these wives, girlfriends, or "baby's mommas" (namely, should they be now ex's and vengeful) could use this new domestic abuse policy against an NFL player, whether it be framing or all-together feigning a story to get back at these guys that might have done them wrong? Is there a statute of limitations in this policy?

The first rule is "Don't make the NFL look bad", so there's probably no statute of limitations. They already don't have to wait for convictions, for example. They also bumped up Ray Rice's suspension from 2 games to infinity games after seeing a video that they already saw, that showed what they already knew happened and that Goodell said they didn't need to see... so I think they just do what they want.

Victim blaming isn't the best place to start at when constructing a policy aimed at curbing domestic abuse.

AZ Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer has been arrested on charges of domestic violence. Yay.

I guess that answers the question we've jokingly asked on the past few BASS and BAFS podcasts - "who's next?"

Anyway, seeing as Dwyer ain't exactly at the same talent level as Adrian Peterson, I'm sure the Cardinals will act swiftly and justice will be served.

I guess that answers the question we've jokingly asked on the past few BASS and BAFS podcasts - "who's next?"

The time has never been more right for new NFL Head of Discipline Bill Goldberg.

I feel Charles Barkley said it best when saying that football players, especially in major college football and the NFL, are a different breed. When you get to that level you have to have a high level of competitiveness and aggression, and it's pretty clear to see that they have trouble turning it off. I feel it's really a cultural thing that the NFL (and maybe the whole sport of football should as well) is attempting to now solve, although too late and only because of public backlash that has come out in video evidence. Key word there being video. We always heard of players getting in trouble and getting arrested, but until now we haven't seen it. It's going to be interesting to see how many players go down like dominoes with the new domestic abuse panel or whatever it is.

On a side note I thought it was really interesting to see an ESPN.com poll asking whether you thought the Vikings not playing Adrian Peterson, while the majority was yes, on the map every state in the south was a majority for no. Except Georgia, Florida, and Louisiana. Could be different now as this was earlier today. Just thought it was interesting as it's been debated as acceptable in the southern and african-american cultures.

On a side note I thought it was really interesting to see an ESPN.com poll asking whether you thought the Vikings not playing Adrian Peterson, while the majority was yes, on the map every state in the south was a majority for no. Except Georgia, Florida, and Louisiana. Could be different now as this was earlier today. Just thought it was interesting as it's been debated as acceptable in the southern and african-american cultures.

It shouldn't be acceptable in any culture. We stopped cutting the black church a break on homophobia. The same should go for beating kids.

I bet there's this virus that genetically causes people to do this.

We'll all call it "The Goodell's Handy Excuse For A Season's Suspension Virus".

It's not just the upper echelons of football sees/tolerates violence (including against women, but very common overall), misogyny and homophobia. Lowly high school football has the seeds of it too. Maybe not on a large scale but it's there. Looking back on it, there are good coaches, players, and others that do things the right way and would never condone it. But the culture of players, parents, coaches and fans either being guilty of these acts, being ok with these acts, or not speaking up against these acts is rampant.

The problem isn't being "dumb". The fact that one would even NEED the threat of being suspended from footballs games to dissuade him from beating his wife and/or kid s a problem.

It's more than simply being dumb. It's being a bad person.

The problem isn't being "dumb". The fact that one would even NEED the threat of being suspended from footballs games to dissuade him from beating his wife and/or kid s a problem.

It's more than simply being dumb. It's being a bad person.

I completely agree, I just also think you have to be extremely dumb to act on what ever these feelings (whatever they may be) on a woman and your infant kid after seeing what's happening around the league. It's just incredibly stupid to me.

Jameis Winston standing on a table and yelling profanity laced internet memes is 'dumb', physical violence towards one's wife and or child is a whole nother level of being a horrible person