Report: NHL Expanding league, Adding 4 Teams by 2017

Luke_Groundrunner

Huge news broke earlier tonight on Twitter, that an NHL expansion team in Las Vegas is considered a "done deal" and is in the process of being finalized, and just over the last hour or so more news reagrding the matter started making the rounds on Twitter, that 3 other expansion teams will join the league along with Las Vegas by 2017. The 3 other cities being reported that will add NHL expansion franchises are Quebec City, Seattle and Toronto area.

Here's the article - http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/26/report-toronto-seattle-quebec-city-join-vegas-2017-nhl-expansion

Name ideas for these expansion teams anybody?

My ideas
Las Vegas - Blackjacks, Aces, Gamblers
Quebec City - Nordiques (no other options needed)
Seattle - Titans, Metros, Express, Shamrocks
Toronto - ???

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still get some kind of feeling that this either A. will only add 2 but not all 4, B. might only add 2 but relocate 2 struggling teams to the other 2 sites, or C (best case scenario) not happen at all.

I am truly blown away that the NHL thinks it needs to expand. Relocate a few, maybe, but no way do they need to go past 30.

This is total bull :censored: and completely irresponsible reporting on the part of Sports Illustrated.

The National Hockey League, like all other major North American sports leagues, has a fairly specific, detailed protocol for expansion (i.e., "adding members"). Precisely NONE of its steps have been undertaken. No vote to expand has occurred let alone has one passed. No membership applications have been received, vetted, or deemed viable, so there's no way cities have been pre-determined. And no ownership groups have been chosen, by formal vote or back-channel scuttlebutt. Say what you want about Gary Bettman, but the NHL simply doesn't work this way, nor would they.

nav-logo.png

Vegas seems like a terrible idea to me. They may get good attendance for the first few years or so, but I definitely see them becoming like the Coyotes or Panthers.

Does Toronto really need a second team? I've never been there, so I hardly know the landscape and all that, but will any Maple Leafs fan really become a fan of some random new team? To me, it'd be like the NBA adding a second team in Boston.

Seattle seems like a good idea. But they're going to need an arena. Lets see how that works out.

Quebec City seems like a good fit. But 30 teams seems just right to me. So I'd rather see the Panthers or Coyotes move there, even though that's probably unrealistic.

Overall, 34 teams would be wayyyy too many.

90758391980.gif

Quebec Also-Rans

Seattle Not Sonics

Las Vegas Johns

Toronto Contrarians

Even by NHL standards, this report is so ridiculous that it can't be true. That being said, the NHL for the past twenty years has basically been a Ponzi scheme in which they create new franchises when they start running low on cash, and it's remarkable we've gone 14 years without adding another team.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

any team in Las Vegas is a bad idea, outside of the strip there wouldnt enough of a local support to support a team, and the tourists would stick to the strip and not watch a hockey/basketball/football game unless their home town team happened to be in town at the same time.

The idea sounds so stupid and ridiculous...that Bettman really is gonna do it.

FWIW: I'd call a second Toronto team the "Toronto Legends"...an homage to it being a hotspot of the game, but with a more marketable brand than the "Toronto Legacy" people proposed.

bYhYmxh.png

"Seattle - Titans, Metros, Express, Shamrocks"

Seattle Sounders HC

Seattle Thunderbirds (its a minor league team there now and logo looks cool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Thunderbirds)

I would love to see Sounders HC. I think the idea of a multi-sport club is really cool.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Some one needs to stand next to Gary Bettman and where a I'm with Stupid T-Shirt. I understand two new teams but four? Come on now.

This is funny.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived