Opinions on Miami Marlins unis 2011- to present

Angels

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Not a fan of the black. Orange caps are much more distinctive.

- The orange has grown on a me a lot and with fans. I'd guess it outsells black by a large margin.

- MIAMI looks better on a jersey more than Marlins ever will.

- Would love if the wall padding at Marlins Park were in our current shade of blue, which somewhat resembles the wall color at Joe Robbie Stadium.

1997 | 2003

There's still things I would tweak - "Marlins" wordmark at home, orange caps/helmets/undershirts only, sans-serif numbers that actually resemble the wordmark font - but overall, in a league full of dull uniforms, red/white/blue, and navy, at least the Marlins actually tried to create a vibrant and unique look, so I have to give them props for that.

They did, but they half-assed it. I don't really care what their intentions were if they botched it. They went from a black hat, black piping team which wore black jerseys 75% of the time to a black hat, black piping team which wore black jerseys 50% of the time and orange jerseys 20% of the time. Aside from the orange jerseys, the glaring difference is that now their black jerseys have goofy orange numbers. If they were going for gaudy, they could have done it up much better without toeing the line of clownsuits.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Does anyone know why the Marlins have decided to stop wearing their Grey Jersey altogether? I have been extremely interested in knowing for a really long time now. I do agree that their Grey jersey is actually not too bad but you know what, I think it is really cool that there's one team in the Majors that doesn't wear a Grey jersey. Every team wears grey. I know that it is a baseball tradition and I hope that doesn't change but in my opinion, it would be nice if there were a few teams that did things a little different and actually used a non-grey road jersey. One more thing, the lighter blue Marlins jersey that I have seen on this site before. Is that part of their rotation? If it isn't, it should be. It's a decent jersey.

The owner doesn't like how they came out, and the players have always preferred black down here for some reason.

Me personally- I love the current marlins ubi set and everything about it. I wish they would wear a blue hat or lime green hat- and actually wear the light blue jersey the retail store sells as a fashion replica.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

My overall opinion still hasn't changed since 2012. I absolutely despise their logo and their uniforms are mediocre at best. Their primary colors are practically black and orange. They barely use that "Marlins Blue" which is very disappointing because it's such a nice color. The only thing I like about the Marlins as of now is their beautiful ballpark.

I have always been a fan of the look overall, but my opinion hasn't changed that the final look needs more polish.

Count me in as another person who thinks the number font is the worst thing about the uniforms. I also think that Orange should be the primary colour. I love their orange hats and have one myself.

The blue and yellow from the logo/wordmarks needs a little more emphasis as secondary colours. Without them, the Marlins are just a Black & Orange team, and the Orioles and Giants make that a crowded company.

I know a lot of you guys here miss the old Florida Marlins look... but I don't. The current look is far more successful in connecting with the fanbase and the culture of Miami.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Does anyone know why the Marlins have decided to stop wearing their Grey Jersey altogether? I have been extremely interested in knowing for a really long time now. I do agree that their Grey jersey is actually not too bad but you know what, I think it is really cool that there's one team in the Majors that doesn't wear a Grey jersey. Every team wears grey. I know that it is a baseball tradition and I hope that doesn't change but in my opinion, it would be nice if there were a few teams that did things a little different and actually used a non-grey road jersey. One more thing, the lighter blue Marlins jersey that I have seen on this site before. Is that part of their rotation? If it isn't, it should be. It's a decent jersey.

The owner doesn't like how they came out, and the players have always preferred black down here for some reason.

Me personally- I love the current marlins ubi set and everything about it. I wish they would wear a blue hat or lime green hat- and actually wear the light blue jersey the retail store sells as a fashion replica.

Thanks a ton for telling me about the Marlins' grey jersey. I have been curious to know for a long time now. That's interesting that their owner didn't like the way they came out. I wonder why. Anyway, if teams like the Brewers and the Braves can sport a bunch of different jerseys every year, I'd like to believe that for even a dozen games a year, the Marilns could sport that fashion jersey without any hurdles.

I have always been a fan of the look overall, but my opinion hasn't changed that the final look needs more polish.

Count me in as another person who thinks the number font is the worst thing about the uniforms. I also think that Orange should be the primary colour. I love their orange hats and have one myself.

The blue and yellow from the logo/wordmarks needs a little more emphasis as secondary colours. Without them, the Marlins are just a Black & Orange team, and the Orioles and Giants make that a crowded company.

I know a lot of you guys here miss the old Florida Marlins look... but I don't. The current look is far more successful in connecting with the fanbase and the culture of Miami.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said here, adding that there needs to be some of that nice tropical green in there too to match the ballpark. The numbers really bother me. They should be Avant Garde or Futura or something that matches the scripts better than whatever the hell they have now. I don't like them being just black and orange. They should be black, silver, and white, with equal play given to the rest of their vivid colors.

Overall, they had the right idea in ditching the Yankees/White Sox ripoffs for something more Miami, but came up a bit short in execution. C for effort.

That's interesting that their owner didn't like the way they came out. I wonder why.

Loria's a bit hard to please, in case you haven't noticed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

TheOldRoman makes a good point.

The Marlins obviously wanted to go in a completely different direction from their Florida Marlins look, but they still are wearing a black jersey most of the time, just like they were doing as the Florida Marlins.

I'd like to see them ditch the black and go with their "Marlins blue" and orange as their colors. I think that color combo would go better with the "art deco" vibe they're trying to emphasize. Black just doesn't belong.

Also, marlinsfan is right - MIAMI should be on the front of all their jerseys.

all they need is a good team to wear them

TheOldRoman makes a good point.

The Marlins obviously wanted to go in a completely different direction from their Florida Marlins look, but they still are wearing a black jersey most of the time, just like they were doing as the Florida Marlins.

I'd like to see them ditch the black and go with their "Marlins blue" and orange as their colors. I think that color combo would go better with the "art deco" vibe they're trying to emphasize. Black just doesn't belong.

Also, marlinsfan is right - MIAMI should be on the front of all their jerseys.

IMO that would be a disaster.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

still feel the same way as i did when i saw it first. i love the bold approach to an MLB identity. every team out there looks the same and, what is it, 70% of teams that wear red and blue? i concepts and direction they started in (bold, bright colors, art deco style, very unique baseball identity) i love, but the execution of everything is so poor. that primary logo is absolutely terrible; tangents, odd motion (marlin goes in front and behind M) too many strokes, too thin of strokes, bad bevel coloring. the whole identity would be more focused and more memorable if they lost 1 or 2 colors. sure, Miami is very vibrant, you can look around and see sun, water, 20 neon lights against a night sky, but you dont need all of that in one identity. a stronger/better way to do it is you could do like Oregon; keep the 3 neutral colors (white, black, silver) and use 2 primary or secondary colors. teal and orange would make sense to me.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Big fan of using the black jersey as their standard roadie, though I do think that grey should be in the rotation somewhere. I love the unique neck piping, and the logo is pretty strong, although I don't think they're utilizing the right colors. Bluish teal should be used more than orange. The M on the hat is too large, and the scripts look a little odd on the jerseys. The way they look now looks like a college jersey. It needs some more life. Feels flat.

Big fan of using the black jersey as their standard roadie, though I do think that grey should be in the rotation somewhere. I love the unique neck piping, and the logo is pretty strong, although I don't think they're utilizing the right colors. Bluish teal should be used more than orange. The M on the hat is too large, and the scripts look a little odd on the jerseys. The way they look now looks like a college jersey. It needs some more life. Feels flat.

Uh, not sure if serious. The neck piping has nearly become the default for all uniform changes since the Giants brought it back in 2000. The following teams use neck piping? Giants, Padres (formerly), Marlins, Nationals (road), Pirates, Twins (road), Indians (road), and Angels. It's something I liked originally, but it's become played-out since so many teams have used it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But noone comes to the games, why is that ?

This again??? Really. What's that got to do with uniforms?
"The current look is far more successful in connecting with the fanbase and the culture of Miami."

I think my question is fair.

It's off topic and just another potshot.

Visit Miami, you'll see plenty of Marlins caps, flags, shirts, bumper stickers, and yes.... Random cuban guys stopping you to talk about "McGehhehehe and Redman"

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Archived