Major League Soccer unveils new logo

Gothamite

Am I the only one thinks the little TM sticks out like a sore thumb?

I don't mind it at all. You're going to have it, might as well hide it in the design rather than float it off to the side.

It's even less noticable when colored anything other than white:

NewMLSlogo_patchclose.jpg

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some versions have single outlines, while other teams use a double outline

That's actually not true. All of the team versions have a keyline around the logo, you just aren't seeing it because sometimes that keyline is white.

Let me rephrase: I think they all should have colored keylines or they should all have white keylines. But I'm with you on eliminating unnecessary keylines when at all possible.

crest shape

colors (US and Canada combined)

slogan "Club, Country, Community"

most club colored versions look nice

don't like

the outside the crest slash part stand up leg

the empty 2nd half...

no more country flag on sleeve

it feels unbalanced, at least could have put hexagons (goalnets/ball pattern), or slightly shaded/visible lines in it

would have loved if they could have incorporated a white star (blue blackground) red maple leap (white background) and 1 other icon (soccer ball or player silhoute etc.) instead of the 3 stars in it. Maybe would have looked too cluttered.

Could anyone with some skills can do a quick mock up?

Something I just realized about that mockup; that's the jersey's left sleeve. Right now, the league logo is only on the right:

Donovan_Galaxy.jpg

Does that mean they might (finally) be moving away from the flags?

I'm guessing they'll be on both sleeves now, because - as with everything else concerning American soccer - that's how the Europeans do it!

Also, they really should have swapped the red/white on the Red Bulls shield.

Disagree. Every other team has the darker color on top and lighter on bottom. That would've thrown that off. I'd prefer it to be closer to the "league logo" than have that.

Good point. Maybe they could have made the MLS and stars yellow?

That's a little disappointing, if true. I was always fond of the flags.

Ditto. I thought it was cool to see the Canadian and American flags reflected. It was a nice touch.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

There's no doubt that flexibility was one of the biggest factors for the redesign (you can tell by the one-color version of the old logo that has been predominantly used for the last 2-3 years by the MLS), but if you're going to make a mark that is going to change for each team, you could have done a lot more in terms of brand consistency (some versions have single outlines, while other teams use a double outline) and team customization... For example, dissecting the blank second quadrant into vertical sections representing the number of MLS Cups your franchise has won (DC United would have 4 vertical shapes making up that lower section, San Jose would have 2, Columbus would have solid gold, and it would remain blank white if your franchise hasn't won one yet). The more successful your team is, the more decorated your logo is.

EDIT: Quick mock-up:

SWIA6nD.png

That's an interesting and cool idea. Would certainly be a unique take on how many soccer teams show how many titles they've won. Although I'm sure it would get too busy once teams have won their 8th or 10th title.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

"The slash refers to soccer's speed and energy. [...] It bisects the crest to create a 'first half' and a 'second half'."

"The perimeter represents the lines that mark off the field of play."

I've done some marketing copy of my own and I realize it can be tough to capture a brand in a short amount of characters, but damn, this just sounds idiotic. So the crest has to do with soccer, while also being a pretty traditional shield apart from the bisecting line extending beyond the boundaries of the shield, which in no way to me suggests "speed and energy"? Along with the gradients and all that white space, I thought this logo was a total bust, but I'm immensely glad to see that it'll be customized for each team (maybe suggested by "The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world"?).

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

"The slash refers to soccer's speed and energy. [...] It bisects the crest to create a 'first half' and a 'second half'."

"The perimeter represents the lines that mark off the field of play."

I've done some marketing copy of my own and I realize it can be tough to capture a brand in a short amount of characters, but damn, this just sounds idiotic. So the crest has to do with soccer, while also being a pretty traditional shield apart from the bisecting line extending beyond the boundaries of the shield, which in no way to me suggests "speed and energy"? Along with the gradients and all that white space, I thought this logo was a total bust, but I'm immensely glad to see that it'll be customized for each team (maybe suggested by "The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world"?).

every time i read a marketing release i have to think theres someone in the meeting room like . . .

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived