The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

I kind of want the Ducks to win the Stanley Cup now. Always liked Wisniewski even if had a tendency to make inopportune mistakes (his gaffe in Game 4 of the playoffs last year led to the Blue Jackets having to rally from 3-0), back-check slowly, and was bad in his own end 5 on 5. But what a shot, and he made power play go.

He signed with the Blue Jackets at a time when nobody wanted to play for the Blue Jackets. He was giddy to come to the club when Jeff F****** Carter literally went to hiding over the same thing. I always appreciated him for that.

I don't know what Jarmo's plan is. It doesn't feel like he has one, which is disappointing.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of want the Ducks to win the Stanley Cup now. Always liked Wisniewski even if had a tendency to make inopportune mistakes (his gaffe in Game 4 of the playoffs last year led to the Blue Jackets having to rally from 3-0), back-check slowly, and was bad in his own end 5 on 5. But what a shot, and he made power play go.

He signed with the Blue Jackets at a time when nobody wanted to play for the Blue Jackets. He was giddy to come to the club when Jeff F****** Carter literally went to hiding over the same thing. I always appreciated him for that.

I don't know what Jarmo's plan is. It doesn't feel like he has one, which is disappointing.

Yeah, it's upsetting to say the least. I really wish we could gotten a defenseman outta that trade. It seems that without Wis, our defense is bound to crumble. It's crazy that this same roster (for the most part) made the playoffs last season. Also, how clear do I need to say that I hate Boll and Johnson?

That's what- She

pic_1417749474_1.jpg

That's pretty much why the Ducks got him. That's something they've really lacked since Wiz/Visnovsky left (and really since Pronger left) is someone to truly QB the power play and let it rip when they have to. Anything to jump start our anemic PP.

And Wiz has always been that stand up, heart and soul type guy. I remember specifically in the Ducks/Red Wings playoff series in 2009, he took a slap shot to the chest, went to the hospital, and played in the very next game. He also called out the Red Wings and the refs, saying something to the effect of "they're the :censored: ing Red Wings. Of course they get the calls." I may be embellishing it, but he said something like that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well, Sharks looked energized, defeat Canadiens 4-0. Stalock gets the W and Shutout.

Ben Smith arrives at arena 30 minutes before game time, scores first goal. Also got an assist on Irwin's Bay Area Blast. Two point night in about 17minutes of ice time. Tierney and Hertl line looked awesome. Hopefully this a boost and not just a "Sharks play well against top teams" thing.

Also, Sharks didn't take any penalties that put them on the PK , but with a little under 5 minutes to play John Scott got a Game Misconduct - I didn't see what he said or did, but I guess he wanted first dibs on hot water...

Good win for the Sharks, let's keep it going!!

Oh no you don't. Sure, beat a competent Eastern foe, but I know the other foot is gonna drop very soon.

500px-Giant_Foot.png

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The Leafs are currently playing the Florida Panthers. Roberto Luongo got hurt earlier in the game, and left Al Montoya to take his spot. Montoya hurt his groin on the second Leafs' goal, and is essentially playing on one leg at the moment. He had to leave the game at one point.

The Florida Panthers' goalie coach is suited up right now. Seriously.

1425175351-U10338.png

The Leafs are currently playing the Florida Panthers. Roberto Luongo got hurt earlier in the game, and left Al Montoya to take his spot. Montoya hurt his groin on the second Leafs' goal, and is essentially playing on one leg at the moment. He had to leave the game at one point.

I think that's standard protocol. edit: in the absence of a better option, obviously

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/11/18/emergency-backup-goalies-hockeys-worst-case-roster-shortage

5.3 Goalkeeper—Each team shall be allowed one goalkeeper on the ice at one time. The goalkeeper may be removed and another player substituted. Such substitute shall not be permitted the privileges of the goalkeeper. Each team shall have on its bench, or on a chair immediately beside the bench, a substitute goalkeeper who shall, at all times, be fully dressed and equipped ready to play. Except when both goalkeepers are incapacitated, no player in the playing roster in that game shall be permitted to wear the equipment of the goalkeeper.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Ugh, say what you will about Chelsea Dagger, but it's not as bad as the Stars' goal song. It goes a little something like this:

*THUMP-THUMP*

DALLAS!

*THUMP-THUMP*

STARS!

*THUMP-THUMP*

DALLAS!

*THUMP-THUMP*

STARS!

*THUMP-THUMP*

DALLAS!

*THUMP-THUMP*

STARS!

*killer sweet-ass metal riff rawkin' out and stuff*

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I sometimes wondered what would happen in a situation like that. Thought they would just dress up one of the players on the team.

I sometimes wondered what would happen in a situation like that. Thought they would just dress up one of the players on the team.

I could be totally off, but I think a local university goalie was phoned in during a Leafs home game. Just to sit on the bench as the next backup- because the starter was injured & I think the backup was already dealing with ailments of his own or something.

If memory serves, that university goalie came to the ACC & only sat for one period, before the original starter returned to the bench.

I think it's even planned in a weird way to be on call if that craziness occurs, like once every 20-30yrs or whatever, each city has localized emergency contingency goalies.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Derek MacKenzie had gone back to the dressing room and was ready to strap on the pads when the team opted for Tallas instead, apparently.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ugh, say what you will about Chelsea Dagger, but it's not as bad as the Stars' goal song. It goes a little something like this:

*THUMP-THUMP*

DALLAS!

*THUMP-THUMP*

STARS!

*killer sweet-ass metal riff rawkin' out and stuff*

The song was made by Pantera, who are big Stars fans apparently. The riff kind of sounds like Cowboys from Hell.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I think cities normally have "a guy". On the Puck Podcast (both hosts are from LA), said they know a guy who gets called every so often to come and sit on the bench as a goalie in a situation like that. The goaltender coach is also an option: Dwayne Roloson did it for the Ducks, and Arturs Irbe did it for the Sabres.

But the emergency backup almost never actually plays.

The only time I can remember the guy actually playing was when the Moonlight Graham of the NHL - Shawn Hunwick played for the Blue Jackets. With the Blue Jackets up 7-3 in the last game of the 11-12 season Todd Richards thought he'd give him his "Rudy" moment (lot of sports movie references in this post). He played the final 3 minutes in net, didn't face a single shot from the Islanders, and retired from professional hockey a year later.

Hunwick_BlueJackets-thumb-590x426-108201

He had a good career at Michigan, at least.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Can we really blame good Canadian boys for not wanting to play in Canada?

zikw1v41gtkryzzlshdm.jpg

This is an actual issue now.

1) Lupul didn't take kindly to that and called TSN the poor man's TMZ over Twitter.

2) I guess James Duthie apologized on air, I don't know as I wasn't watching.

3) The guy who tweeted it said it was a joke and didn't think it would get on tv.

4) A law firm representing Lupul, Phaneuf and Elisha Cuthbert (Phaneuf's wife) are seeking an apology and damages from TSN (and allegedly the guy who tweeted it).

Bonus round) This isn't the first time TSN's tweet to screen system filter didn't work. Last year's draft there was a tweet shown that said Leon "The Final Solution" Draisaitl.

IEI5Tg1.png

4) A law firm representing Lupul, Phaneuf and Elisha Cuthbert (Phaneuf's wife) are seeking an apology and damages from TSN (and allegedly the guy who tweeted it).

Phaneuf should try suing Rogers instead. He loves sloppy seconds!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived