The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Rangers win about 10 seconds into another damn overtime. Terrific game, and better than a shootout, but I guess scoring 1 regulation goal against an admittedly on-point Rangers team tonight was too much to ask.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Tavares is awesome. Everyone should be talking about how awesome John Tavares is.

Incidentally, I completely forgot that Okposo has been out for weeks! And he comes back tomorrow, maybe! Isles gonna give it to ya.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Isles-Rangers and/or Isles-Lightning in the playoffs will make me happy as a little girl.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

John Tavares is awesome. Everyone should be talking about how awesome John Tavares is.

Incidentally, I completely forgot that Okposo has been out for weeks! And he comes back tomorrow, maybe! Isles gonna give it to ya.

That game-winner tonight was pretty sick. And leading the league in points too! I'm really glad he's come into prime form AND that the Isles are good. It's nice to see that his talent and leadership isn't being wasted on a bottom-dweller, which was what I was afraid his career would amount to being: A guy that was a superstar talent on a terrible team that would eventually get traded at the end of his career for his "chance at the Cup" or whatever.

I wonder who will replace Boudreau after the Ducks get eliminated in the second round this year.

You should submit your application.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Isles-Rangers and/or Isles-Lightning in the playoffs will make me happy as a little girl.

Isles-Rangers in particular would, however, make this Isles fan as nervous as a teenage girl on prom night.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

John Tavares is awesome. Everyone should be talking about how awesome John Tavares is.Incidentally, I completely forgot that Okposo has been out for weeks! And he comes back tomorrow, maybe! Isles gonna give it to ya.

That game-winner tonight was pretty sick. And leading the league in points too! I'm really glad he's come into prime form AND that the Isles are good. It's nice to see that his talent and leadership isn't being wasted on a bottom-dweller, which was what I was afraid his career would amount to being: A guy that was a superstar talent on a terrible team that would eventually get traded at the end of his career for his "chance at the Cup" or whatever.

I wonder who will replace Boudreau after the Ducks get eliminated in the second round this year.

You should submit your application.

And deal with the scrutiny of the OC media? I don't think so.

Poor Sharks. They've choked at failing. Whenever will they learn?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Isles-Rangers in particular would, however, make this Isles fan as nervous as a teenage girl on prom night.

Agreed. Nothing would be worse than closing the Coliseum by losing to the Rangers in the playoffs. It would be like the 2000 World Series all over again.

That game-winner tonight was pretty sick. And leading the league in points too!

...with 72 :/

I thought this had to be a joke. Yikes. Forget 100...we may not even see a 90-point player this season. Is overall scoring up, at least? I can live with scoring being spread out. If not...perhaps I'm not missing much with hockey.

Maybe it's time to really consider expanding the goal size. The players have gotten bigger and taller and larger over the years...perhaps the goal size can be expanded a few inches up and out. The spirit of playing goalie in hockey wasn't to have some 6'4" guy that's insanely flexible and athletic. The players have inflated over time...the goals should, too.

At the very least, discourage some defensive tactics...namely, diving to the ice to block a shot.

Scoring is on pace to be just a hair over last year, which was so low that it'd be hard to finish lower. Yes, there's more depth scoring than there used to be, but the stifling defensive systems are worse than ever. Remember, as Igor Larionov pointed out, the point of modern hockey is simply to avoid risk at all costs:

The problem is more philosophical and starts way before players get to the NHL. It’s easier to destroy than to create. As a coach, it’s easier to tell your players to suffocate the opposing team and not turn the puck over. There are still players whose imagination and creativity capture the Soviet spirit — Johnny Gaudreau in Calgary, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews in Chicago just to name a few. However, they are becoming exceptions to the rule. Many young players who are intelligent and can see the game four moves ahead are not valued. They’re told “simple, simple, simple.”

That mentality is kind of boring. Nobody wants to get fired. Nobody wants to get sent down to the minors. If you look at the coaches in Juniors and minor league hockey, many of them were not skill players. It’s a lot of former enforcers and grinders who take these coaching jobs. Naturally, they tell their players to be just like them. Their players are 17, 18 years old — younger than I was when I joined the Red Army team. Say what you want about the Whiplash mentality (or the Soviet mentality), but if coaches are going to push kids at that age, why are they pushing them to play a simple game? Why aren’t coaches pushing them to create a masterpiece?

We lose a lot of Pavel Datsyuks to the closed-minded nature of the AHL and NHL.

I remember Datsyuk made a couple turnovers in a game when he first came to Detroit at age 23. Players on the team like Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Steve Yzerman and myself had to tell him, “Pavel, just keep doing what you’re doing.” Thankfully, Scotty Bowman had the wisdom to see his potential. If he was on a different team with a different coach who did not appreciate that kind of unique skill, Datsyuk might have been out of the league. He would be playing in the KHL tonight.

Hockey needs to be fixed at the grassroots level. Bad youth coaches in Canada have poisoned the whole game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Agreed. Nothing would be worse than closing the Coliseum by losing to the Rangers in the playoffs. It would be like the 2000 World Series all over again.

/shudders at idea of Alain Vigneault going onto PA system and shouting "Nassau Coliseum is officially closed" a la John Thompson Jr. at Manley Fieldhouse

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

If it wasn't for this blasted playoff format, Isles/Rangers would have been a great Eastern Conference Final. (Tampa/Montreal/Detroit are worthy adversaries, but still...)

Last year, depending on how you felt about the Wild, we could have the Kings/Ducks Freeway Faceoff for the West title instead of the right to go there.

Archived