Sanic

The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

^^^^^^^

I know that is a heaping plate of sarcasm but its not that far from the truth.

I don't think the '80s were perfect at all. The playoff format certainly wasn't. As we've gone over, the divisional playoff format was particularly demoralizing for Winnipeg and Quebec, where nothing could stop them from running into the Oilers/Flames and Bruins/Canadiens, respectively; that they could never take the scenic route through the playoffs and maybe miss them once gave things a level of futility. I don't know how much of the new format is lip service to people who thought the 1-4 system was best and how much is just their worship of the almighty time zone, but I don't like it and would prefer a simple 1-8 bracket -- maybe even 1-16, since West versus East has no real meaning on par with NL/AL or NFC/AFC.

Well, a leaguewide 1-16 seeding is never happening because, though you may not kneel at the altar of time zone certainty, the TV networks and their several billion dollars of investment certainly do.

Yeah and also with only 2 divisions per conference, there are no more cheap 3 seeded division winners like the 2012 Florida Panthers.

Yeah, 1-8 is fine with me. This current system doesn't work for me. Ray Ratto captured the silliness of it when he pointed out that the Sharks were further out of the wild cards than they were 3rd place in the Pacific.

Just use the format from 1993/94-1997/98: 2 divisions in each conference with playoffs seeded 1-8.

Yeah, 1-8 is fine with me. This current system doesn't work for me. Ray Ratto captured the silliness of it when he pointed out that the Sharks were further out of the wild cards than they were 3rd place in the Pacific.

Yup.

Wait, Ratto made a good point? Wha?

Just use the format from 1993/94-1997/98: 2 divisions in each conference with playoffs seeded 1-8.

Yeah, that'd be terrific, but cut down on the out-of-conference games. 32 out of 82 is too many.

Yeah, that'd be terrific, but cut down on the out-of-conference games. 32 out of 82 is too many.
It's nice to have some variety. Playing every team in the league at least once home and once away just feels right.

So the Royal Half is calling out the entire Western Conference (primarily the Ducks) on tanking games against Calgary and Vancouver to keep LA out of the postseason.

http://theroyalhalf.com/2015/03/mighty-conspiracy-against-la-kings/

I think it's the Kings tanking the first 60 games of the season that's going to keep the Kings out of the playoffs.

Well, a leaguewide 1-16 seeding is never happening because, though you may not kneel at the altar of time zone certainty, the TV networks and their several billion dollars of investment certainly do.

Along those same lines, the TV networks have to love the divisional playoff format, as they're guaranteed that two series would play nothing but 9:30pm or 10pm ET games in the first round, and one series in the second round has a similar starting time for up to seven games.

They can also convince the Central division to play games at 8-8:30pm CT (or even bump Colorado to 10pm ET) so they can get as many doubleheaders in-their-entirety as possible.

So the Royal Half is calling out the entire Western Conference (primarily the Ducks) on tanking games against Calgary and Vancouver to keep LA out of the postseason.

http://theroyalhalf.com/2015/03/mighty-conspiracy-against-la-kings/

I think it's the Ducks losing a tight game to Vancouver and then absolutely sucking last night against the Flames.

And it doesn't (does?) help the conspiracy when twitter and facebook fans of the Ducks say the things shown in the article.

Everything was so much better when the NHL was a 21-team league that admitted 16 to the playoffs.

Oh, man. Imagine if that playoff system is ever implemented in today's NHL, and the Stanley Cup is won by the #16 seed.

The reaction on these boards would be like...

tumblr_mkqimsIvr61ruw1vso1_500.gif

Jets gotta get a third one past Dan Ellis here. They're hanging on like the cat in the poster.

Does Atlanta know they got the Thrashers back?

There's just something about that franchise that causes their rears to tighten up towards the tail-end of the season. "The Annual Slide" happened a little later this season, but there's the team I know! Could be three hours away from being out of a playoff spot.

You really do root for them at your own peril, Admiral.

Can't blame me for the Jets falling apart...we went to see them play the Predators last weekend.

I suppose missing Byfuglien is going to diminish them quite a bit. Maybe they'll ramp it up when he comes back, but now they don't control their own fate anymore. Go Canucks. Unclean, unclean.