The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to view the hockey regular season a bit like basketball- game-to-game, don't get too caught up in slow/fast starts, teams can make pushes in January/February, the cream rises to the top.

Unless you start off impossibly bad like Buffalo/Edmonton last year, teams just have to avoid falling in too big a hole if they want to make the big dance. Just ask the Flyers

Teams can vary from game-to-game. Colorado/Anaheim/Los Angeles looked shaky in their openers, but I expect them to get going and be up there by Christmas. They aren't gonna go all Knicks/Nets on us and be epic derp by Thanksgiving.

Look at last year- NY Rangers/Philly started off slow, but got going by the Olympic Break.

And hot starts- well, truthfully you never know. Five teams- Anaheim/Colorado/San Jose/Boston/Toronto came out blistering last fall, and all but one of them made it to the spring finish line

And then there are teams like Dallas/Columbus which finished hot and ended up being two of the feistier playoff teams.

Kinda like baseball- I don't take the standings and such too seriously until after the All-Star Break/Trade Deadline.

This isn't football, where every game can be life-or-death in the standings.

Styles make fights- Colorado's not gonna get outshot like this against teams not named Minnesota, LA's gonna score, Anaheim's gonna tighten up defensively against teams without the likes of Crosby, and if they do otherwise- then they are not who I thought they were.

There are some Devil fans on here, and I've got an interesting what-if:

if the Devils lost to the Panthers in the 2012 playoffs, does Zach Parise still depart?

I say no.

Their playoff run boosted his stock mightily. If he goes into free agency with another one-and-done, who knows?

Does MIN sign someone else instead to pair with Suter?

Maybe he signs for less somewhere else like, say, Pittsburgh?

Ottawa... Defend your Washington Nationals ripoff/explain who these people are.

BzhRehqIMAAFfzP.jpg

All I know is that mascot Macdonald is incomplete without holding some sort of adult beverage.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ottawa... Defend your Washington Nationals ripoff/explain who these people are.

BzhRehqIMAAFfzP.jpg

Oh, they've just been haunting the stadium for years. We thought "let's put masks on them so we don't scare the children." Might not have been the best idea in hindsight, that.

There are people legitimately picking the Lightning to win the Eastern Conference this season and, my God, that just feels too weird.

I picked Tampa, thinking it would be a darkhorse pick but the Lightning seemy to be the trendy selection.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

And so yet, here we are, another season has started, and how does it begin? Losing 5-2 to the Flames at home. A Flames team that just played last night. A Flames team that is currently consumed with rudderless leadership, a desire to build a goon squad, and was already playing a back-to-back game on the second night of the season.

• Defensive zone work still looks like a tragedy. Two goals in the first four minutes of the game last night. I know that Scrivens did well in Los Angeles and everything and he's not really my biggest concern, but he's going to put up stat lines just as terrible as Dubnyk most nights if that's the defensive zone work he has to deal with. It was keystone cops kind of madness out there.
  • Would it kill Dallas Eakins to not have stupid looking hair for, you know, just one night?
  • Did I mention that last night was just the first game of the season? 81 more of these to go

Wish us luck.

And so yet, here we are, another season has started, and how does it begin? Losing 5-2 to the Flames at home. A Flames team that just played last night. A Flames team that is currently consumed with rudderless leadership, a desire to build a goon squad, and was already playing a back-to-back game on the second night of the season.

• Defensive zone work still looks like a tragedy. Two goals in the first four minutes of the game last night. I know that Scrivens did well in Los Angeles and everything and he's not really my biggest concern, but he's going to put up stat lines just as terrible as Dubnyk most nights if that's the defensive zone work he has to deal with. It was keystone cops kind of madness out there.
  • Would it kill Dallas Eakins to not have stupid looking hair for, you know, just one night?
  • Did I mention that last night was just the first game of the season? 81 more of these to go

Wish us luck.

Hey Zach, check this out.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wish us luck.

I though I was pessimistic about this season. I guess I have a lot to learn about sports pessimism. Tell me, how do you do it?

Honestly, the Oilers looked pretty good for most of the game, other than the first five minutes and most of the third period. The Flames pride themselves on being a tough team to play against, and that's what they did. If the Oilers just focus a bit more, they'll be fine. They won't make the playoffs, but they'll be fine.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

You know, for the first time in a number of years I'm actually excited for the Isles season to start tonight. I feel fairly positive about this line-up barring any major injuries and ineptitude from the bench. I think getting Halak in the offseason and Boychuk and Leddy over the weekend did a good job of addressing some major issues. Definitely not predicting a Stanley Cup or anything like that but I definitely see this team being a playoff team barring the usual November collapse.

Now if they could only do something about Josh Bailey...

Wish us luck.

Hey, did you ever get your phone back?

Bzj87LMCUAAhPL8.jpg

^_^

On the flipside, there are fifteen games scheduled for tomorrow. That's the maximum, of course. Sounds like you could unofficially open the season with National Hockey Day!

Unfortunately, of these fifteen games, only one of them is nationally televised in the United States, and it's an NHL Network simulcast of Hockey Night In Canada. Boondoggle!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wish us luck.

Hey, did you ever get your phone back?

Bzj87LMCUAAhPL8.jpg

^_^

lol

The guy who threw the sweather didn't think about removing his phone from his pocket, before tossing the sweater on the ice. Will people ever learn?

Why don't they just open the season on a Friday or Saturday with every team playing? The old shotgun start would be a fun way to kickoff the season rather than some teams waiting a day or two. Or four like the Blue Jackets last season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived