The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Upgrade!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drooooooooooooo Stafford just scored on a 1-on-3. I'm not dyslexic. It's just an Oilers game.

Sharks got a penalty while on a 3 on 1. Justin Braun pulled down Chiasson about 80 feet behind the play. That probably cost San Jose the game. Score that 3 on 1 and your up 3-1 going into the 3rd.

Anyway, I'm happy. Cruising into 8th place.

I only saw one angle of the replay and it looked like it was more Braun bumping Chiasson and Chiasson falling down than it was being pulled down. Regardless it was a stupid thing for Braun to even do - a three on one, and it has very little if anything to do with 3-on-1 the Sharks had.

Though that didn't cost the Sharks the game - the mistakes they made in the third probably would still have occurred or if they would have found another way to lose.

Jamie Baker makes some stupid comments during games "I'll take one drubbing every ten years...if it means we will win the others." I blame him for the loss.

What? Isn't that what your supposed to do when you lose games - blame the color analyst?

Also can the Sharks just give Pavelski the C already. Even in these loses he's been playing well.

Unless the teams in front of them really tank, the Sharks need to go 9-0 to even have a glimmer of a hope to make the playoffs - which are probably more of a pipe dream than a reality at this point.

At one point, The Mighty Ducks merchandise outsold all other NHL teams combined and accounted for an unbelievable 80 percent of the NHLs $1 billion in merchandise sales.

Yeah, but now they have a logo that even the girlfriend of an NHL player doesn't recognize. So they have that going for them.

Drooooooooooooo Stafford just scored on a 1-on-3. I'm not dyslexic. It's just an Oilers game.

Sharks got a penalty while on a 3 on 1. Justin Braun pulled down Chiasson about 80 feet behind the play. That probably cost San Jose the game. Score that 3 on 1 and your up 3-1 going into the 3rd.

Anyway, I'm happy. Cruising into 8th place.

I only saw one angle of the replay and it looked like it was more Braun bumping Chiasson and Chiasson falling down than it was being pulled down. Regardless it was a stupid thing for Braun to even do - a three on one, and it has very little if anything to do with 3-on-1 the Sharks had.

Though that didn't cost the Sharks the game - the mistakes they made in the third probably would still have occurred or if they would have found another way to lose.

Jamie Baker makes some stupid comments during games "I'll take one drubbing every ten years...if it means we will win the others." I blame him for the loss.

What? Isn't that what your supposed to do when you lose games - blame the color analyst?

Also can the Sharks just give Pavelski the C already. Even in these loses he's been playing well.

Unless the teams in front of them really tank, the Sharks need to go 9-0 to even have a glimmer of a hope to make the playoffs - which are probably more of a pipe dream than a reality at this point.

All in all, they had a good run. Sure, they should've went to the Finals at least once during all those chances at postseason greatness, but despite having a period of time when they were on the cusp, they were never able to make it through to prove doubters wrong. You can't, not should you, feel sorry for the franchise. They quite simply ran out of whatever they needed in order to succeed and now face an awkward rebuilding, unless management can somehow find another way to deny it and kick cans down the road.

They played relevant hockey for the last decade and even though they never won a title, they always made you think they possibly could. Can you ask any more as a fan?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Maybe some sort of tangible accomplishment?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

With 88 points, the Jets have had the best organizational season since 2007 and the best Winnipeg Jets season since 1987. This bifurcated history is like being a child of divorce and getting two Christmases if all Santa Claus got you were dubious achievements.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm watching Jets-Canucks but TSN3 isn't carrying the game so I'm stuck with the two Johns. Dennis Beyak is annoying, but this is far worse.

The Canucks are running some sort of charity telethon hosted by, of course, creepy Strombo, looking short and weird.

The Sharks' nearly decade-long run of regular season dominance and occasional playoff competence is more than what some teams have accomplished, I'll give them that. A Stanley Cup would be nice and all, but I'm fine without one in this run.

I've sensed a rebuild coming for a while, and this does seem like the perfect opportunity to blow things up and try again with a new set of players.

Not only did they not win a Stanley Cup, they never got to the Final. And not only did they not get to the Final, they got swept in one third round and went down quietly in five in the other. And aside from that, they went out in the first round of their President's Trophy season and booted a 3-0 series lead last year. Of all the pro sports teams that have had runs of being pretty good but never winning a championship, the Sharks have to have had more ignominy than anyone else. The Moneyball Oakland A's come closest, but at least they were playing with house money all along.

The Sharks should have pulled the ripcord last summer and been in the position Edmonton and Phoenix are in now rather than extending Thornton and Marleau, then supplementing them with a bunch of college free agents and brainless plugs. Doug Wilson is a horrible GM who has sustained himself on the Boston Bruins' love for divesting its superstar forwards.

Sharks fans satisfied with not playing in a Final is sad and a testament to the franchise as a whole.

---

No one be surprised when the Ducks lose in the first round.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I enjoy hockey. I love the sport. The Ducks are my team. That doesn't mean I can't be critical of them, especially when you'd like them to be in better form with the playoffs just a three weeks away.

--

It's not just these last two games. It's a trend.

Sure the Ducks lead the division, West, and NHL. They also lead the league in one-goal record, at 29-1-7. But why so many one goal games? The Ducks lead the league with 91 goals allowed in the 2nd period. That means theres a lot of comebacks and late wins in those 29 one-goal wins and even more mixed in with the league lead in wins. But it also means a lot of the losses look like tonight in Columbus or Sunday in New York.

Sure some of that is resiliency and winning the tight games. Some of it is blowing leads and making comebacks on lesser opponents because they struggle at times, especially of late, to put together a full 60 minutes. And those comebacks don't always make it all the way back.

Not to mention I have no idea what Bruce Boudreau is doing recently when it comes to managing the bench, especially the defensive/goaltending rotation.

---

I always have hope. I know the team is one of the best in the league and can beat anyone when they are on their game and play the full 60. The resiliency is always encouraging because they believe they can win every game and can lock it down in close games. I'd rather they not have to make all those comebacks, though. They can't play with fire in the playoffs like they have in the regular season, or yes, they'll be out early.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived