The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would really like to see the institution of the 2-3-2 playoff format in the NHL, for travel considerations. Some of these potential matchups (Lightning-Wings, Blues-Jets, Ducks-Wild, and to a lesser extent, Flames-Canucks) are pretty long distance. Cutting down travel needs would be a boon for both participating teams.

They did implement 2-3-2 for a couple of Stanley Cup Finals in the mid-1980s, and promptly shelved it. Then, the NHL implemented it in 1994 (the 1st postseason of Eastern/Western Conferences) for series which had teams cross time zones to play (especially West series involving a Pacific vs. Central time zone). That was shelved the following year, and we've had 2-2-1-1-1 playoff series since then.

Teams in the New York/Philly/Washington corridor use trains in/around each other. Ducks/Kings obviously just take busses to play each other. But that's really the only viable use of that in close proximities. You're not taking a train from Minnesota to St. Louis or Tampa Bay to Nashville. Especially if you're playing there the next night and getting in a morning skate or whatever other prep.

Firstly, I'm glad that teams in the Northeast Corridor have the option of taking buses/trains. The BosWash megalopolis has something like 50 million people packed into it. That's good.

I bring up trains because this continent was really connected first with trains, before cars and planes arrived on the scene. If Europe can do high-speed rail and Asia can do high-speed rail, why can't the self-proclaimed "Greatest country on Earth" do it? And "freedom" isn't a valid answer.

I also looked up the New York to Los Angeles driving distance. It's about 4,000 km, and the fastest high-speed trains right now can hit 480 kph. That's about an 8-9 hour trip, so not much longer timewise than a plane. It just needs the infrastructure to make it work, I think.

It also is going to take a lot of money and political hoop-jumping. As a resident of a state that's tried to get high-speed rail off the ground for over a decade, trust me, it's more than just infrastructure.

And not much longer? That's nearly twice as long of a trip. You could practically fly from NY to LA to Chicago in that time. Stop it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I enjoy hockey. I love the sport. The Ducks are my team. That doesn't mean I can't be critical of them, especially when you'd like them to be in better form with the playoffs just a three weeks away.

--

It's not just these last two games. It's a trend.

Sure the Ducks lead the division, West, and NHL. They also lead the league in one-goal record, at 29-1-7. But why so many one goal games? The Ducks lead the league with 91 goals allowed in the 2nd period. That means theres a lot of comebacks and late wins in those 29 one-goal wins and even more mixed in with the league lead in wins. But it also means a lot of the losses look like tonight in Columbus or Sunday in New York.

Sure some of that is resiliency and winning the tight games. Some of it is blowing leads and making comebacks on lesser opponents because they struggle at times, especially of late, to put together a full 60 minutes. And those comebacks don't always make it all the way back.

Not to mention I have no idea what Bruce Boudreau is doing recently when it comes to managing the bench, especially the defensive/goaltending rotation.

---

I always have hope. I know the team is one of the best in the league and can beat anyone when they are on their game and play the full 60. The resiliency is always encouraging because they believe they can win every game and can lock it down in close games. I'd rather they not have to make all those comebacks, though. They can't play with fire in the playoffs like they have in the regular season, or yes, they'll be out early.

There's no magic formula for success in the postseason (in any sport) for professional teams. Any example of something can be found that translates to winning the title or crashing to a season's end earlier than expected. Whatever stats and trends you just mentioned have happened before, and the results have been different: some won the Cup, some lost in the first round, and some results in between.

Going 29-1-7 in one-goal games tells me, ultimately, that the Ducks have played 37 games nail-biting games and have lost only once in 60 minutes. However they got there, they were not beaten 36 times out of 37 after 60 minutes. Every single team would take that, and every single team would like that kind of in-the-big-moment resume entering the playoffs.

We're not that far removed from the 2012 Kings playing seemingly a season's worth of 1-0, 2-1 games. Ended the season with 40 wins out of 82 games. Ended the postseason with a Cup. Playing close games isn't a bad thing.

I should be the one that looks at sports in the darkest of negative lights. Not only do I work for a pro team, I'm also a fan of Atlanta teams that know nothing except losing and coming up short and having the damndest of things happen....Braves (win the World Series once in 15 years in the playoffs?), Hawks (never gotten past the 2nd round), Falcons (dogfightin', solicitin', Jeff George'in'), Thrashers (lost my team!), and Georgia football. A whole lot of losing and coming up short. I've seen one championship in my lifetime, and that was 20 years ago. Yet I still enjoy these sporting events.

The Hawks are having their best season ever. I'm just enjoying this ride for however long it goes.

Enjoy this Ducks season. Look forward to what might happen in the playoffs.

No one be surprised when the Ducks lose in the first round.

Oh god. It's not even April yet, and folks are already bemoaning their own team's chances of playoff success. Why do so many of you go the Negative Nancy route when it comes to sports? Sports is entertainment. Entertain yourself! If sports results frustrate you, why are you watching?

"Wah, my team is coasting to a division title and has the most wins and points (albeit, in a tie for the lead, but leading) in the league, but they've lost two games in a row! They suck, they're screwed, blow up the roster, fire the coach and GM, fire sale! No way in hell they'll win the Cup!"

Why are people negative? Because only one team ends the season on a high note. That means that after you invest hundreds of hours watching and thinking about your team, you have a 96.7% chance of being disappointed. It takes a special person to always be optimistic in the face of those odds. Why do we do it? Society looks down on most forms of masochism; this is all us weirdos have, I guess.

If only one team wins at the end, does that mean that every fan should look negatively at their team for 82 games and up to 28 playoff games before they can look at their team in a positive light?

I actually enjoy the :censored: out of sports. You can have a critical look at the team and still enjoy it. I've actually really enjoyed this Ducks season, more than some others, and I am going to enjoy the playoffs. I always do.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

No one be surprised when the Ducks lose in the first round.

Oh god. It's not even April yet, and folks are already bemoaning their own team's chances of playoff success. Why do so many of you go the Negative Nancy route when it comes to sports? Sports is entertainment. Entertain yourself! If sports results frustrate you, why are you watching?

"Wah, my team is coasting to a division title and has the most wins and points (albeit, in a tie for the lead, but leading) in the league, but they've lost two games in a row! They suck, they're screwed, blow up the roster, fire the coach and GM, fire sale! No way in hell they'll win the Cup!"

Why are people negative? Because only one team ends the season on a high note. That means that after you invest hundreds of hours watching and thinking about your team, you have a 96.7% chance of being disappointed. It takes a special person to always be optimistic in the face of those odds. Why do we do it? Society looks down on most forms of masochism; this is all us weirdos have, I guess.

If only one team wins at the end, does that mean that every fan should look negatively at their team for 82 games and up to 28 playoff games before they can look at their team in a positive light? That really is a lousy way to look at something that's meant for amusement and entertainment.

If it's negative, why do you invest money and time on it? Seems like a waste of cable TV, tickets, merchandise, etc.

Should we be negative all the time? I don't think anyone is, but we've all been hurt by sports so much (except Boston and Cardinals fans), that you can't be surprised when people are curled up in the fetal position in the corner at the first sign of trouble. Shell shock.

Classic :P

Though I have to agree that Ducks fans really aren't in any position to be negative right now. I don't see them going out in first round, especially after being so close to the conference finals last year.

Archived