The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man this sucks. Winning 2 cups in 3 years was awesome, and this has been the greatest era in Kings history, but missing the playoffs the year after winning the Cup is inexcusable in my book. But the way they played this year they didn't really deserve it. Like LMU mentioned, losing Willie Mitchell due to cap space hurt, stupid Slava Voynov had to go and beat up his wife, and then the guy they get at the trade deadline to help the defense gets hurt. They walked a tightrope all year and now their luck ran out and they fell in and got eaten by the alligator. I guess the silver lining is that next year they'll be well rested and ready to make another deep run into the playoffs.

I can't even begin to describe how happy I am that the Flames are in the playoffs. This was supposed to be another year in the rebuilding process, so even just making the playoffs is gravy. No matter what happens, this season can be considered a roaring success.

The Western Conference teams are all set. Only one California team in the playoffs.

What's set in the west:

*Blues clinch Central Division. Will play Minnesota, Winnipeg or Chicago.

*Ducks Clinch Pacific Division. Will play Minnesota, Winnipeg or Chicago.

*Jets locked into second Wildcard. Will play Ducks or Blues.

*Predators locked into second seed in Central. Will play Blackhawks or Minnesota.

Seeding and Positioning still up for grabs. Here we go:

- Minnesota could get the third seed if the get a road win in STL and the Avalanche beats Chicago in regulation on Saturday.

- The Ducks and Blues will be playing for the top spot in the West. If one team wins and the other loses in any fashion, the winner gets the top seed in the west.

If both teams win in Regulation/OT: Anaheim gets the spot because they would have one more ROW win than St. Louis

If the Blues win in Regulation/OT and the Ducks win in a SO, then St. Louis would get the top seed based on the better goal differential tie breaker.

- Vancouver/Calgary will play each other in the first round, home ice will be up for grabs Saturday.

*Vancouver secures home ice with one point at Edmonton, regardless of Flames game.

*If the Vancouver loses at Edmonton in Regulation, and Calgary wins at Winnipeg in any Fashion, the Flames would get home ice.

Eastern Conference:

MTL, TB, DET, NYR, NYI, WAS all have secured a playoff spot.

OTT, PIT and BOS are still in the race.

Too many scenarios to list here just yet.

Here's the playoff matchups as of now:

Western

1P Anaheim

W2 Winnipeg

2P Vancouver

3P Calgary

1C St. Louis

W1 Minnesota

2C Nashville

3C Chicago

Eastern:

1M NY Rangers

W2 Pittsburgh

2M Washington

3M NY Islanders

1A Montreal

W1 Ottawa

2A Tampa Bay

3A Detroit

What a night. Best game I've been to at the Dome since Game 6 in 2004 against Detroit. Gonna be a helluva battle with Vancouver!

Even more than the Game 6 STANLEY CUP FINALS clincher against San Jose?

Well I wasn't at that one haha.

Just the way they just controlled the best team in the West that year was great, plus the Gelinas winner was clutch, that's all he did that year.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Oh what a glorious day this is. The Kings are dead. Long live the Kings.

On the one hand, I wanted the Ducks to get another playoff shot at the Kings. I wanted to be able to get revenge and beat them. On the other hand, this result is also fantastic, for several reasons beyond the Kings just missing the playoffs.

The Kings finally got burned for their "it doesn't matter where you finish, just make the playoffs style." Sure it worked for 2 Cups and 3 conference finals, but it was always precarious. This was always the other side of their thinly edged coin. They still couldn't score the goals. The defense finally failed them and Quick had some slips. The horseshoe fell out.

And now, best of all really, all those that jumped on the bandwagon in the last three years, this is how being a hockey fan actually works. Hell, this is how being a Kings fan works. We'll see if they're really cut out for this. The smarminess and snarkiness doesn't play as well when you're not successful. Maybe they'll learn some humility, but I'm not holding my breath.

#GolfKingsGolf

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

On the one hand, I wanted the Ducks to get another playoff shot at the Kings. I wanted to be able to get revenge and beat them. On the other hand, this result is also fantastic, for several reasons beyond the Kings just missing the playoffs.

The Kings finally got burned for their "it doesn't matter where you finish, just make the playoffs style." Sure it worked for 2 Cups and 3 conference finals, but it was always precarious. This was always the other side of their thinly edged coin. They still couldn't score the goals. The defense finally failed them and Quick had some slips. The horseshoe fell out.

And now, best of all really, all those that jumped on the bandwagon in the last three years, this is how being a hockey fan actually works. Hell, this is how being a Kings fan works. We'll see if they're really cut out for this. The smarminess and snarkiness doesn't play as well when you're not successful. Maybe they'll learn some humility, but I'm not holding my breath.

#GolfKingsGolf

Hell I love seeing it just so Jeff Carter can suffer...

The Kings finally got burned for their "it doesn't matter where you finish, just make the playoffs style." Sure it worked for 2 Cups and 3 conference finals, but it was always precarious.

I hope to type a similar sentence about the Cardinals this fall.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

#GolfKingsGolf

You mean I might actually be able to find tickets next year without having to apply for a loan?

(For the record, Stubhub tickets for the top of the lower bowl for Saturday's game against the Sharkies were going for $250 a pop)

VmWIn6B.png

#GolfKingsGolf

hrm1M.gif

And the Wings playoff streak survives!

Good to see, although I doubt they'd be able to get out the first round. But hey, any time you can see Datsyuk place on the ice is a good thing.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived