The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

The circle jerking going on over two of the California teams being eliminated is one of the weirdest groupthink examples I've seen in a while. Makes me wonder if we'll see the same reaction when Chicago, New York or DC not make it in.

People like cautionary tales where arrogance goes unrewarded.

I suppose they do, don't they friend?

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some trivia: This'll be the 7th time the Flames and Canucks have met in the Playoffs; every meeting has been in the first round. The last 3 times they've met, 1989, 1994 and 2004, the series went a full seven games, required overtime in the decider, and the winner proceeded to go all the way to the Finals.

I enjoy hearing trivia like this because it's always fascinating to see what chain of coincidences people can find. You just got to make sure to take it with a grain of salt because when you look deeply into match-ups, you can find all sorts of coincidences that could point you in one direction or another.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

With the possibility of some new teams in the playoffs, and there will be a new Stanley Cup Champion - it got me thinking of an interesting trivia question, possibly really easy answer, but it took me longer than expected to find the answer.

Excluding work stoppages, Who was the last NHL team to win the Stanley Cup after missing the playoffs the previous season?

We'll see how good my ten minutes of research was to find what I think is the answer :)

That'd be the Carolina Hurricanes. 2006 was the only year (that I can recall) where both finalists failed to make the playoffs the year prior and after their playoff runs.

Correct!

Other than those '06 Canes, you have to go all the way back to the '94 Rangers and '91 Penguins.

Before that.... the '71 Habs. In 1970, Montreal missed the playoffs for the only time between 1949 and 1994. Otherwise, they would have had 46 straight playoff appearances.

Sounds like it doesn't happen very often. '71 Habs, '91 Penguins, '94 Rangers and '06 Canes. 4 times in 40+ years.

Hoping the Sens lock it up tomorrow. Canada should be well represented this year, and with no Kings to poison the well, there could be some spicy meatballs in round one.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Looks like the Senators are going to pull this off. Good for them.

Now I need the 'ning to lay down for Boston and the Sabres to play their best game of the season. The dream is still alive.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Listen, Buffalo. I know you guys haven't been to great at the whole winning thing this year, partly due to your own intentions to tank, but now you have last place locked down and you'll be getting Eichel at the worst. Can you please find it in yourselves to beat Pittsburgh tonight? The Flyers didn't want to help the Bruins out this afternoon being the :censored:s that they are, but that means we NEED you guys to help us. Can you win for us tonight, please? Pretty please? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Sincerely,

Every Bruins fan

Andrew Hammond finished his first NHL regular season with a 20-1-2 record... That's absurd. I love it.

I don't think they'll get past the first round, but still, what an amazing run. An all-timer, really.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived