The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

87 points in 1992-93 wouldn't have even put you in the top 30 when it comes to scoring.

87 points in 1995-96 would have put you in 23rd.

87 points in 1981-82 would have gotten you a 30th place finish.

That said, at least the scoring race was dramatic. Benn had 7 points in 2 games (And Tavares, to be fair, scored in the last 2 games). And he did this without Seguin tonight.

Hell, unlike 2003-04, at least we got a 50-goal scorer.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two teams finished out of the playoffs with 95 points this season, that's mental. (Of course, it's all thanks to tanking)

Just to put that in perspective, in 1988-89, the Washington Capitals finished 3rd in the entire NHL with 92 points.

The days of sub .500 playoff teams are long gone. In 1996, the 4-5 matchup (Leafs/Blues) had TWO teams with losing records.

It's not quite a fair comparison since the inception of a third point for overtime games. A bunch of bonus points got handed out that didn't exist then.

While it's sad that a fully-played season didn't produce a 90-point player this season, I don't have a problem with that as long as the scoring is spread out throughout the entirety of the roster and scoring went up as a whole. Even if goals are up, the league should into tinkering with the size of the nets and restricting some defensive tactics. The size of the ice and the size of the net have stayed the same, but the players have gotten bigger as well as the size of goalie equipment.

Increase the size of the net to 4.5' by 6.5' and penalize leaving your skates to dive on the ice to block a shot/pass...and you'll see a better offensive output.

- Thank GOD the Leafs season is over. Hopefully we'll get some good news next Saturday...

- I kinda feel bad for Crosby, since this is what, the third or fourth Art Ross he's missed out on because of injury?

- I think the only people who give a damn about Canada's Cup drought are Americans. I don't give a flying s--t how well the other Canadian teams do, especially Montréal and Ottawa

- Boston's out. Yay.

- I'll be rooting for the Blues to make the final, so the Leafs' conditional pick from the Jokinen trade turns into a 4th. But I hope they lose there - our droughts are gonna turn 48 together ;)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Per Elliotte Friedman. Habs/Sens and Flames/Nucks get underway Wednesday, well Jets/Ducks starts Thursday. Rest of schedule will be released at 4:30 et tomorrow.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported that the Kings locked Sutter out of the dressing room after a recent road defeat (gee, I wonder which one) and when Sutter got an arena attendant to open the door, trash cans were blocking the entrance. It's Larry Brooks, so it could be a whole lot of smoke, but who knows.

Also, Robyn Regher retires, which means including the on-trial Slava Voynov, the Kings have 6 defensemen under contract going into next season. And Justin Williams, Jarret Stoll, and Tyler Toffoli are going to be free agents.

It'd be kind of funny if missing the playoffs just this one time made the house of cards fall down.

---

Also: CCSLC Bracket Challenge?

CCSLC Bracket Challenge: http://bracketchalle...og/league/58074

Password: ccslc2015

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Biggest movers in points from last year to this year:

Florida +25

Islanders +22

Calgary +20

Rangers +17

Vancouver +18

Nashville +16

Winnipeg +15

Washington +11

Ottawa +11

Toronto -16

Boston -21

San Jose -22

Colorado -22

Arizona -33

Random notes:

-Columbus only finished four points behind last year's total

-Dallas finished one point ahead of last year's total

CCXJDw_UwAARYnK.jpg

Kings Twitter Guy and Stars Jumbotron Guy can both go spend the summer fondling each other's balls (which must be enormous if they're chirping teams that actually made the playoffs and didn't finish with one of the highest goals-against totals in the league).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If anyone is interested I created a Bracket Challenge League on NHL.com for us forum users. League name is NHL Boondoggie, password is creamer

If anyone is interested I created a Bracket Challenge League on NHL.com for us forum users. League name is NHL Boondoggie, password is creamer

Aight. I've picked Tampa Bay over Chicago.

Well you were kind of beaten to the punch:

Also: CCSLC Bracket Challenge?

CCSLC Bracket Challenge: http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/api/leagues/nhlbcg/og/league/58074

Password: ccslc2015

But people don't like reading, I know.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived