The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Who needs Coach's Corner

No one with an IQ over 50.

I like Coach's Corner. It's not really meant to be taken at face value: a man in a funny suit rants and rants while the straight man engages him in Socratic banter and looks at the audience like "you gettin' all this?" His point that the Maple Leafs shouldn't get to traffic in sentimental Canadiana and then not bother to draft a single Ontarian is actually rather cogent, at least for Don Cherry. Even when he's full of crap, at least he's killing time being full of crap and standing athwart hockey talk's weird slide into concerning nothing but concussions and feminism.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to rant about the officiating in tonight's game, but it'll just turn into nonsense incoherent rambling, so I'll say this: HAND PASSES ARE ILLEGAL IN YOUR OWN ZONE YOU S**T FOR BRAINS LOUSY EXCISE FOR A REFEREE.

As you were.

I think I know what you mean, but you wording contradicts this, unless I'm missing something. Not to bring into full on rant mode, but could you elaborate?

I want to rant about the officiating in tonight's game, but it'll just turn into nonsense incoherent rambling, so I'll say this: HAND PASSES ARE ILLEGAL IN YOUR OWN ZONE YOU S**T FOR BRAINS LOUSY EXCISE FOR A REFEREE.

As you were.

I think I know what you mean, but you wording contradicts this, unless I'm missing something. Not to bring into full on rant mode, but could you elaborate?
In the second period of the Oilers-Canucks game, the Canucks scored a goal off of a clearing attempt that was intercepted by Alex Burrows' glove and directed to whoever took the shot. The Canucks scored on Fasth, who thought the play should gave been dead. The referees do not review the play (I can't remember if it's a reviewable play or not, and if it isn't, why not?) and the goal stands. There were also a few questionable non-calls on the Canucks side, but I digress.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

As you were.

In the second period of the Oilers-Canucks game, the Canucks scored a goal off of a clearing attempt that was intercepted by Alex Burrows' glove and directed to whoever took the shot. The Canucks scored on Fasth, who thought the play should gave been dead. The referees do not review the play (I can't remember if it's a reviewable play or not, and if it isn't, why not?) and the goal stands. There were also a few questionable non-calls on the Canucks side, but I digress.

Ah yes, I see now.

Because this is the NHL and nothing can ever go right, it seems like the end change and dry scrape before overtime are counterintuitively increasing the rate of shootouts. auh bwfjrfhjifoigejiooftjWVGJIAGRFJIOAFDVOJNF;Aif

That's me banging my head against my laptop

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's the fifth day of the season; and most teams have only played two games. Bit early to make that call.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Gif of the Week, courtesy of the Tampa Bay Lightning's alcohol vendors

SlowLegalBronco.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Blackhawks and Leafs have switched back to 7:30 start times this year, which I like. Kings Saturday night games will now start at 7:00, which I don't particularly like but don't mind either.

7:30 start times blow. Especially when the West Coast teams do it.

With baseball games taking 4+ hours, NFL games becoming all day events for the in-stadium fans, and NBA regular season games feeling like they take 5 hours, the NHL has an opportunity to position itself as the "get em in get em out still get your money's worth" league. Hockey games take 2.5 hours. That's perfect. When I lived in Cincinnati I drove up to Columbus for the Blue Jackets playoff game against Pittsburgh. Even with the extended overtime I was still back in my bed in Cincinnati by 12:30 and I was at work 8 am the next day.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Unexpected flashback: the Ducks' new away jerseys look like the Sabres' old home jerseys (at least on a tiny computer screen stream).

new-ducks-jersey-mockup-660x400.jpg

484.jpg

Edit: And hopefully Sam Reinhart in this third jersey will be a "player in the wrong uniform" someday. That would mean he's good enough to have a wrong jersey, and that this third is gone. He'll probably get sent back to junior, so he might not wear it anymore this season.

The Blackhawks and Leafs have switched back to 7:30 start times this year, which I like. Kings Saturday night games will now start at 7:00, which I don't particularly like but don't mind either.

With baseball games taking 4+ hours, NFL games becoming all day events for the in-stadium fans, and NBA regular season games feeling like they take 5 hours, the NHL has an opportunity to position itself as the "get em in get em out still get your money's worth" league. Hockey games take 2.5 hours. That's perfect. When I lived in Cincinnati I drove up to Columbus for the Blue Jackets playoff game against Pittsburgh. Even with the extended overtime I was still back in my bed in Cincinnati by 12:30 and I was at work 8 am the next day.

It depends on the team. For big cities like LA that have a lot of traffic or a place like Ottawa where the arena is out in the middle of nowhere far from the population center, people need more time to get to the game, so I like the 7:30 start time better. For a smaller city like Anaheim, 7:00 start time makes sense.

I think a lot of WHL teams get it right. Weekday games are at 7, Friday at 730, Saturday at 7 and Sunday at 2/5/6. Your mid-week games aren't going to draw well no matter what so get the people who do come home earlier. Friday, though, give fans the extra half hour to fight traffic to get to the rink and start the weekend right.

As an aside, I love matinees when the Bruins do them and I get to watch it on tv. I hate afternoon games in person, though. Anything before 5pm just doesn't feel right when attending.

It depends on the team. For big cities like LA that have a lot of traffic or a place like Ottawa where the arena is out in the middle of nowhere far from the population center, people need more time to get to the game, so I like the 7:30 start time better. For a smaller city place with modern freeways like Anaheim, 7:00 start time makes sense.

FYP

I think 7 if preferable if your city can swing it, but I understand why LA would want theirs at 7:30. In Buffalo, you can leave your house at 6:30 and make it to a 7 o' clock game in time.

Archived