The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7:30 start times blow.

As someone who works until 7:00pm, I kindly request that you go cram it, gokd sir.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Blackhawks and Leafs have switched back to 7:30 start times this year, which I like. Kings Saturday night games will now start at 7:00, which I don't particularly like but don't mind either.

7:30 start times blow. Especially when the West Coast teams do it.

With baseball games taking 4+ hours, NFL games becoming all day events for the in-stadium fans, and NBA regular season games feeling like they take 5 hours, the NHL has an opportunity to position itself as the "get em in get em out still get your money's worth" league. Hockey games take 2.5 hours. That's perfect. When I lived in Cincinnati I drove up to Columbus for the Blue Jackets playoff game against Pittsburgh. Even with the extended overtime I was still back in my bed in Cincinnati by 12:30 and I was at work 8 am the next day.

Chicago and Toronto both have sprawling metropolitan areas and awful traffic with lots of hockey fans in the medium-to-far suburbs. It's either getting to the game late or getting to sleep late, and I guess after trying it both ways, the season ticket holders prefer the latter.

Oddly enough, the Bulls have always had 7 p.m. tips as long as I can remember, and no one has seemed to mind. The crowds are pretty much the same.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A Bulls crowd is much more North Shore-y than a Blackhawks crowd. Bulls games tend to ruin the Edens and Kennedy worse than Cubs games do.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

pUInSzL.jpg

I feel like a fan could easily hear ice chatter and, hell, maybe the commentary from the booth with such emptiness.

Edit: commas are important

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Blackhawks and Leafs have switched back to 7:30 start times this year, which I like. Kings Saturday night games will now start at 7:00, which I don't particularly like but don't mind either.

7:30 start times blow. Especially when the West Coast teams do it.

With baseball games taking 4+ hours, NFL games becoming all day events for the in-stadium fans, and NBA regular season games feeling like they take 5 hours, the NHL has an opportunity to position itself as the "get em in get em out still get your money's worth" league. Hockey games take 2.5 hours. That's perfect. When I lived in Cincinnati I drove up to Columbus for the Blue Jackets playoff game against Pittsburgh. Even with the extended overtime I was still back in my bed in Cincinnati by 12:30 and I was at work 8 am the next day.

It depends on the team. For big cities like LA that have a lot of traffic or a place like Ottawa where the arena is out in the middle of nowhere far from the population center, people need more time to get to the game, so I like the 7:30 start time better. For a smaller city like Anaheim, 7:00 start time makes sense.

You realize that Anaheim and Los Angeles use the same system of freeways? The 405 isn't any easier of a trudge in LA than OC. Hell, OC has its own traffic problems at the 22/57/55/5 Orange Crush.

Idk, I've never had trouble with a 7 p.m. start in Anaheim because I get there early anyways, but 7:30 starts are always always always more full at puck drop than 7 starts. 7:30 games are almost damn near full at puck drop.

But LA, especially because it's smack downtown, 7:30 starts are imperative.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

As someone who was in attendance for a Penguins game that had less than 10k and the lowest attended Blue Jackets game ever, I just feel bad for the fans who are actually there. It sucks when the atmosphere sucks. You're there so you're not the problem, but it's not fun when it's so empty which drives even more people away. It's a hard spin to pull out of, especially in a place like south Florida.

Panthers brass has started to use actual butts in seats as their announced attendance instead of artificially inflating numbers and they're not giving away free tickets anymore because it wasn't fair to actual ticket buyers, which as it turns out there's about as many of those as we thought. Attendance will be a train wreck this season. Like, worse than Glendale bad.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Panthers brass has started to use actual butts in seats as their announced attendance instead of artificially inflating numbers and they're not giving away free tickets anymore because it wasn't fair to actual ticket buyers, which as it turns out there's about as many of those as we thought. Attendance will be a train wreck this season. Like, worse than Glendale bad.

No, I think they're still using tickets distributed over butts in seats, it's just that they're not distributing quite so many tickets. They announced around 11,000 the other night and that was so not 11,000. Any way you slice it, they're pulling back the curtain (by...putting up a curtain? I'm in Metaphor Hell here) on some ridiculous numbers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know what it's like to be a fan of a :censored:ty supported team. My local junior team, the Mississauga Steelheads, are essentially the OHL's equivalent of the Panthers/Coyotes. We're lucky to get 2000 fans to a game, and this is in the so-called great hockey market of Toronto. I enjoy going to games, but the atmosphere just absolutely sucks. But hey, at least they don't inflate their attendance numbers, because the tale would be even sadder if they did.

Oh, Willie Mitchell... why'd you have to subject yourself to that fanbase?

$4.25M for two years with no state income tax (assuming the team doesn't move before next season). Don't cry for him.

Oh, Willie Mitchell... why'd you have to subject yourself to that fanbase?

I can think of 8,500,000 untaxed reasons.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Archived