The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

You think these guys calling hockey games know the intricacies of Eastern European phonetics? And he's just a kid; he probably doesn't want to/doesn't care to correct them. Or he might have adopted an easier pronunciation on purpose to fit in.

By9oV14IAAA3wto.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have cut out the feed after the first period and replaced it with a talking French pineapplehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBSflK1FTSY closest NBCSN would get to a Habs game this year

Thanks for bringing back memories of my French class that I gladly no longer have to take.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

You think these guys calling hockey games know the intricacies of Eastern European phonetics? And he's just a kid; he probably doesn't want to/doesn't care to correct them. Or he might have adopted an easier pronunciation on purpose to fit in.

By9oV14IAAA3wto.jpg

Can't imagine Purdue's lawyers would be too happy with that logo.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Why hasn't Anaheim gotten an ASG yet? Got a pretty good team recently, the Angels most recent ASG was a nice shindig and you'd probably get more out of town fans to Anaheim for an ASG then Columbus, Nashvile or Atlanta.

And will Blackhawks fans be able to buy tickets to this?

You have to actually apply to host the ASG, and from my understanding, Anaheim hasn't ever done so. And if they have, it might only be a couple applications and they obviously haven't been picked. Why they've never really pushed for it, I don't know. They should. It's not like the city couldn't host that type of event and all that goes with it. (Also, it could very well be a thing where the league defers to Los Angeles because of bigger arena or whatever as they've had a semi-recent ASG and the Draft. IDK. I'd like to have our own thing too.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Why hasn't Anaheim gotten an ASG yet? Got a pretty good team recently, the Angels most recent ASG was a nice shindig and you'd probably get more out of town fans to Anaheim for an ASG then Columbus, Nashvile or Atlanta.

They would probably not get more out of town fans than Columbus. Columbus had the best attended draft ever. At least they did at the time. I'm not sure if anyone's beat it since 07.

Reason: It's centrally located and within reasonable driving distance for many NHL cities.

Detroit (4 hours)

Pittsburgh (3 hours)

Toronto (7 hours)

Buffalo (5.5 hours)

Chicago (5.5 hours)

Washington DC (7 hours)

Philadelphia (7.5 hours)

St. Louis (6.5 hours)

Nashville (6 hours)

That's a third of the NHL. 7 hours is a haul, but I've seen fans of those teams pull it off. There's always a ton of Leafs fans whenever they play in Columbus. Plus there's hockey fans in Dayton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo etc.

Out of town fans would have to fly in to Anaheim.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Okay, maybe Columbus was a bad example fan wise, but I was more talking about other things that would attract fans to the city.

The average hockey fan from New Jersey could place an Anaheim ASG (or draft) into a vacation plan. I'm not trying to knock any of those other cities, I'm just saying that a person would probably be more likely to travel (long distance maybe) to an Anaheim thing than a Columbus, Nashville or Atlanta.

IbjBaeE.png

Okay, maybe Columbus was a bad example fan wise, but I was more talking about other things that would attract fans to the city.

The average hockey fan from New Jersey could place an Anaheim ASG (or draft) into a vacation plan. I'm not trying to knock any of those other cities, I'm just saying that a person would probably be more likely to travel (long distance maybe) to an Anaheim thing than a Columbus, Nashville or Atlanta.

And I think you're wrong. Atlanta is out of the picture and probably wasn't a good place to hold the game, but Columbus has a third of the NHL within driving distance (plus hockey fans everywhere in between), and Nashville has the honkey tonk Broadway factor.

If you're only going for the weekend and you're going for hockey reasons I think most of those fans would choose the city within driving distance. And I think more people would do that than book a vacation to sunny Southern California weeks after the holidays.

PvO6ZWJ.png

They would probably not get more out of town fans than Columbus. Columbus had the best attended draft ever. At least they did at the time. I'm not sure if anyone's beat it since 07.

Reason: It's centrally located and within reasonable driving distance for many NHL cities.

Detroit (4 hours)

Pittsburgh (3 hours)

Toronto (7 hours)

Buffalo (5.5 hours)

Chicago (5.5 hours)

Washington DC (7 hours)

Philadelphia (7.5 hours)

St. Louis (6.5 hours)

Nashville (6 hours)

That's a third of the NHL. 7 hours is a haul, but I've seen fans of those teams pull it off. There's always a ton of Leafs fans whenever they play in Columbus. Plus there's hockey fans in Dayton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo etc.

Out of town fans would have to fly in to Anaheim.

Philadelphia to Nashville is more like 11 or 12 hours when driving.

I think what monkeypower means also is the amount of transplant fans that live in SoCal and Orange County specifically. You'd get good attendance for all the events from fans of a number of teams.

Columbus has proved itself as a good hockey town and a good event town. I'm sure the ASG there will be great, as I think it would be in Anaheim as well.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The average hockey fan isn't attending an entry draft. I'm a pretty big NHL fan and even I wouldn't go to a draft. Have them in a hotel ballroom in Montreal like they used to, I don't care.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I went to that draft in 2007 and 90% of my motivation was to see the new Blue Jackets edge uniforms that were getting unveiled that day. I snapped some pictures in the team shop, booed Gary Bettman, waited until pick 7 when the CBJ took Jake Voracek, and then left. It was mostly boring.

I think what monkeypower means also is the amount of transplant fans that live in SoCal and Orange County specifically. You'd get good attendance for all the events from fans of a number of teams.

Columbus has proved itself as a good hockey town and a good event town. I'm sure the ASG there will be great, as I think it would be in Anaheim as well.

Not saying Anaheim would be a bad host, but Columbus was a poor example.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The only reason I would go to a draft is if it was local and my team had the top pick. If the draft were in Buffalo next year instead of 2016, and we were picking McDavid, that would be one hell of a party.

I went to that draft in 2007 and 90% of my motivation was to see the new Blue Jackets edge uniforms that were getting unveiled that day. I snapped some pictures in the team shop, booed Gary Bettman, waited until pick 7 when the CBJ took Jake Voracek, and then left. It was mostly boring.

Not saying Anaheim would be a bad host, but Columbus was a poor example.

Yes I said Columbus was a poor example.

IbjBaeE.png

Blackhawks are up 30-3 in SOG midway through the 2nd period, and it's a 0-0 game.

This happened to the Blackhawks on the opposite side of the spectrum 2 seasons ago, when Ray Emery made 45 saves to salvage a dominant Calgary game into a stolen shootout win.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived