The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised at some of the big hockey cities the NHL ASG doesn't go to.

Buffalo hasn't hosted an ASG since 1978, Vancouver since '77, Calgary since '85, Philadelphia since '92.

Well, you have to apply first.

The NHL (much like the NFL in awarding Super Bowls) will reward a franchise for building a new arena or for buying into the league. Also, we've had a few lockouts and Olympic breaks in the last 16 years.

I'm surprised at some of the big hockey cities the NHL ASG doesn't go to.

Buffalo hasn't hosted an ASG since 1978, Vancouver since '77, Calgary since '85, Philadelphia since '92.

The Sabres have the draft coming up; they've said they're interested in the ASG, too. It will probably make it here in the near future. Maybe for the 50th anniversary in 2020. Maybe by then, they'll have more than a token all-star.

Retro Berra starting in net for Colorado tonight, which is troubling because the Senators really struggle scoring on backup goalies not named Peter Budaj.

Also we haven't beat the Avalanche since 2005, doesn't look good letting in that goal under 90 seconds does it?

Anyway, Go Sens!

Edit: That's two Avs goalies down, Mitchell pushes Turris in the net and Berra's off with a head injury. Calvin Pickard comes in.

I guess Patrick Roy's Colorado's new backup goalie, that's scary.

Haven't heard Nassau this loud since the playoffs, and Howie is stressing that attendance is only around 12,000. Disgusting shootout goal from Tavares to win it. This team is delightful.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Haven't heard Nassau this loud since the playoffs, and Howie is stressing that attendance is only around 12,000. Disgusting shootout goal from Tavares to win it. This team is delightful.

Ah, I'll never forget visiting Nassau last November. The Islanders played exceptionally well, defeating the Bruins 3-1 behind the excellent goaltending of Kevin Poulin (who was absolutely pitiful in nearly every other outing last season but managed to elicit POU-LIN! chants all throughout the Coliseum on that night).

What a great place to watch a hockey game. My seat was about ten rows from the rafters (albeit centered over the middle of the ice) and the view was absolutely spectacular. Delightfully small, is that arena. The Isles fans are great, and there's nothing more satisfying than seeing dejected, drunken Bruins fans head back to Boston after having scored a cheap ticket (much cheaper than the Boston Garden or MSG) and expecting to see a comfortable Bruins win.

The Islanders played great that night and I could tell they had a great nucleus. They traded away a good chunk of their supporting cast last season, but with the additions of Boychuk, Leddy, and Halak to supplement that stellar young nucleus, this team is good and I couldn't be giddier.

I'll always be a Blackhawks fan, but, man, have those Islanders notched a special place in my heart.

25yzwqg.png

REALLY, AVS? YOU WERE UP 3-1 on the Ottawa Bobby Ryans? Guess maybe those stupid hockey geeks were right.

Somewhere, the soulless WE LOVE LA AND CHICAGO ABOVE EVERYONE ELSE hockey stay geeks are gloating over the Avs.

Ever since I picked a TB-COL SCF, literally NOTHING has gone right for the Avs.

But for everyone saying Colorado is unsustainable... what IS sustainable? Apparently, only the Kings and Blackhawks are.

These stupid hockey stat geeks are sucking the fun out of hockey.

"No, don't get hopeful for that exciting Colorado or Anaheim. CHICAGO AND LA ARE THE ONLY TEAMS THAT WILL EVER WIN ANYTHING MEANINGFUL"

REALLY, AVS? YOU WERE UP 3-1 on the Ottawa Bobby Ryans? Guess maybe those stupid hockey geeks were right.

Somewhere, the soulless WE LOVE LA AND CHICAGO ABOVE EVERYONE ELSE hockey stay geeks are gloating over the Avs.

But for everyone saying Colorado is unsustainable... what IS sustainable? Apparently, only the Kings and Blackhawks are.

"No, don't get hopeful for that exciting Colorado or Anaheim. CHICAGO AND LA ARE THE ONLY TEAMS THAT WILL EVER WIN ANYTHING MEANINGFUL"

... basically yeah...

:hockeysmiley:

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I didn't watch the game but man the Sharks bottom 6 is a huge tire fire. Injuries deserve most of the blame, but maybe if the team signed real players and not scrubs in the offseason, we could withstand it a little more. Scott did have a nice hit knocking out Grabovski cold.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I think this Dallas team is good and Tyler Seguin is going to blow up this season.

He scored with three seconds left tonight to beat Pittsburgh. Nice defense off that last faceoff, Pittsburgh.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived