The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

As per Bob McKenzie, Minnesota just found some extra cap space:

MIN's injured goalie Josh Harding has been suspended by the Wild because his fractured ankle is not a hockey-related injury.

As long as Harding is injured (out indefinitely) he will not be paid by the Wild and his contract doesn't count against MIN's salary cap.

He kicked a wall. Guess they have to sign Bryzgalov again!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, the Toronto Maple Leafs television schedule is all over the place. According to their website, 26 games will air over "TSN4," which is the Southern Ontario feed of the new pentapartite TSN. TSN1 is BC and Alberta, 2 is just their ESPN2, 3 is Manitoba, 5 is everything past Belleville. You'd think the Toronto Sports Network would make sure the 1 was in their backyard, but Canadians are generally known to be sensible. Anyway, 26 on the Bell side of BelGers, but then 16 games on Sportsnet Ontario, the Rogers side. But wait! There are also eleven games listed as running on "Sportsnet" without regional qualifiers, so I'm guessing that means they're running on all four of the Sportsnet RSNs. In your face, Edmonton Oilers! Then there's one game, 22 October's Leafs-SNES tilt, listed as running on Sportsnet 360 (the old TheScore) and Sportsnet 1. I guess you get to pick.

So that's 54 games. Four more games are listed as running on CityTV, which is a Canadian over-the-air network that at first glance appears to be a socially conscious Fox. Presumably these are local to Toronto's CityTV affiliate, but they may be available across the entire network. I don't know. Again, in your face, Edmonton Oilers.

58 and now here's where I really get confused. There are four games listed as running on the CBC. Okay, they're all on Saturday nights, I think I can figure that out. But that's only for the first four Saturday nights. There are twenty -- TWENTY! -- games listed as simply "HNIC," which means that the games are officially designated as Hockey Night in Canada (though maybe it is Head Nigga in Charge and won't my face be red) but may not necessarily run on the CBC, because as I recall from some little program grid Rogers put out, Saturday nights can have HNIC games subcontracted to the good old CBC but also air on any number of Rogers properties, whether that's City or Sportsnet 1 or Sportsnet 360.

I'm not even counting the numerous games carried in French on TVA Sports. Ducks and Leafs, finalement en français!

Most notably, the number of games on Leafs TV -- which, for American observers, is YES if the Yankees were the Mariners -- is ZERO.

I'll just say it's a damn good thing that TV technology is advancing to the point where you don't necessarily have to know which channel a game is on to find it. In fact, with voice-recognition technology, you may be able to just shout "HOE ABOAT PUTTIN' ON THE LEAFS GAME, EH" at the vicinity of your cable box and have the game magically come on whichever channel Rogers has sent the game to, but this might be pending the development of a hoser patch.

The worst part about this is that for all this trouble, the salary cap didn't even go up that much! Thanks, Obama Coyotes!

Man, the Toronto Maple Leafs television schedule is all over the place. According to their website, 26 games will air over "TSN4," which is the Southern Ontario feed of the new pentapartite TSN. TSN1 is BC and Alberta, 2 is just their ESPN2, 3 is Manitoba, 5 is everything past Belleville. You'd think the Toronto Sports Network would make sure the 1 was in their backyard, but Canadians are generally known to be sensible. Anyway, 26 on the Bell side of BelGers, but then 16 games on Sportsnet Ontario, the Rogers side. But wait! There are also eleven games listed as running on "Sportsnet" without regional qualifiers, so I'm guessing that means they're running on all four of the Sportsnet RSNs. In your face, Edmonton Oilers! Then there's one game, 22 October's Leafs-SNES tilt, listed as running on Sportsnet 360 (the old TheScore) and Sportsnet 1. I guess you get to pick.

So that's 54 games. Four more games are listed as running on CityTV, which is a Canadian over-the-air network that at first glance appears to be a socially conscious Fox. Presumably these are local to Toronto's CityTV affiliate, but they may be available across the entire network. I don't know. Again, in your face, Edmonton Oilers.

58 and now here's where I really get confused. There are four games listed as running on the CBC. Okay, they're all on Saturday nights, I think I can figure that out. But that's only for the first four Saturday nights. There are twenty -- TWENTY! -- games listed as simply "HNIC," which means that the games are officially designated as Hockey Night in Canada (though maybe it is Head Nigga in Charge and won't my face be red) but may not necessarily run on the CBC, because as I recall from some little program grid Rogers put out, Saturday nights can have HNIC games subcontracted to the good old CBC but also air on any number of Rogers properties, whether that's City or Sportsnet 1 or Sportsnet 360.

I'm not even counting the numerous games carried in French on TVA Sports. Ducks and Leafs, finalement en français!

Most notably, the number of games on Leafs TV -- which, for American observers, is YES if the Yankees were the Mariners -- is ZERO.

I'll just say it's a damn good thing that TV technology is advancing to the point where you don't necessarily have to know which channel a game is on to find it. In fact, with voice-recognition technology, you may be able to just shout "HOE ABOAT PUTTIN' ON THE LEAFS GAME, EH" at the vicinity of your cable box and have the game magically come on whichever channel Rogers has sent the game to, but this might be pending the development of a hoser patch.

The worst part about this is that for all this trouble, the salary cap didn't even go up that much! Thanks, Obama Coyotes!

Ah, admiral. Your posts never fail to crack me up.

I think this will answer a lot of your Maple Leafs/television schedule questions, admiral:

sample-hockey-night.jpg

(When it says "current contract" that was the previous TSN contract. This graphic was made at the time Rogers bought rights midseason.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Hockey... the one major (North American... including soccer) sport I never played. One of my favorite sports to watch. I predict the Blues breeze into the playoffs... then choke in the first or second round. Blues fan should know where he stands...somewhat like a Cubs fan in baseball.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

So all those games are considered "Hockey Night in Canada" irrespective of network? Is this necessarily a good thing, to have that much nationally televised hockey at one time? It seems like they're overexposing if not cannibalizing the product.

Also, I'm guessing this means CityTV games are national. Okay. Forget Hamilton sneaking in; it's a miracle there are any other teams in the Leafs' territory of English Canada.

So all those games are considered "Hockey Night in Canada" irrespective of network? Is this necessarily a good thing, to have that much nationally televised hockey at one time? It seems like they're overexposing if not cannibalizing the product.

Also, I'm guessing this means CityTV games are national. Okay. Forget Hamilton sneaking in; it's a miracle there are any other teams in the Leafs' territory of English Canada.

Re: HNIC, I believe that's right. If I also remembered correctly, I think the national Sportsnet games on SUNDAY will also be called HNIC.

Olympic hockey is awesome, and I don't entirely mind the break.

The only reason this is even possibly happening is because the owner's don't receive any revenue from it. Whereas with this World Cup, it'd be NHL-organized and thus NHL-profitted. It's the same thing as the NBA trying to organize their own World Cup of Basketball so they can make the money off of it. They try to use the FIFA/soccer model, where the Olympics is U-25 (and it doesn't mean too much on the world stage) and the FIFA World Cup is the best talent available (and is the premier event in the sport).

"JOHN TAVARES IS OUT FOR THE SEASON. AND IT'S ALL THE IOC'S FAULT. THIS IS A JOKE. ARE THE IIHF AND IOC GOING TO PAY HIS SALARY? ARE THEY GOING TO REIMBURSE OUR SEASON TICKET HOLDERS?

Wait, the IOC actually has contract insurance, and they ARE going to pay his salary while he's hurt? Well, er... forget that stuff I said about our season ticket holders."

Criminally underappreciated as one of the greatest foot-in-mouth moments of all time.

Archived