The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

I remember Nassau being a rocking place. It's nice to see this so far and I hope that the usual November swoon doesn't happen this season. I'm optimistic for the first time in many,many years which has been very hard to say with the fustercluck that is the Charles Wang ownership group. I hope we send Nassau Coliseum out with a bang!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REALLY, AVS? YOU WERE UP 3-1 on the Ottawa Bobby Ryans? Guess maybe those stupid hockey geeks were right.

Somewhere, the soulless WE LOVE LA AND CHICAGO ABOVE EVERYONE ELSE hockey stay geeks are gloating over the Avs.

Ever since I picked a TB-COL SCF, literally NOTHING has gone right for the Avs.

But for everyone saying Colorado is unsustainable... what IS sustainable? Apparently, only the Kings and Blackhawks are.

These stupid hockey stat geeks are sucking the fun out of hockey.

"No, don't get hopeful for that exciting Colorado or Anaheim. CHICAGO AND LA ARE THE ONLY TEAMS THAT WILL EVER WIN ANYTHING MEANINGFUL"

I fail to see the odious "stat geekery" behind pointing out that the conference's two best teams have the best chances of winning anything meaningful, but continue melting down as you wish.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

What he's getting at is all the new fancy possession stats and things like Corsi/Fenwick always point out a possible regression or flaw in teams like Colorado or Anaheim, despite them having them having two of the four highest goal totals and the two best records in the West last year. So by records, the Ducks and Avs were the two best teams in the West.

As a Ducks fan, I've obviously hated these criticisms as much as anyone. I found myself constantly saying "they keep winning the games, what else do they have to do to please you stats people?" The problem is that its been borne out that these numbers have merit. The teams that lead the analytic and possession stats (namely the Kings, Blackhawks, and Bruins a.k.a. the last three Cup winners) have been successful. I mean the numbers tell you things that you should already know make a successful team: who uses their players most effectively in each zone, team who possess the puck and creates the most chances/prevents the most changes, etc.

Basically his complaint is the incongruity between showing that the teams with the best records, Ducks and Avs, were winning in spite of their flaws and might be fun to watch playing an "exciting" brand of high risk/high reward hockey and the teams that end up in the West Finals and winning.

Yes it might suck, in more ways than one, but unfortunately, these stats have been shown to be right.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

That controlling possession correlates with winning is like the unfanciest fancy stat ever. Beep boop!

Haha I know. I guess it's nice that someone came up with some numbers to quantify it, but like I said, it's not something people didn't know already. It's not like baseball where these numbers were to exploit some inefficiency. You're not going to find some Moneypuck philosophy. The game just doesn't work that way. Either you're good or you aren't.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So the Kings got outshot 38-16 in regulation (including 16-6 in the 3rd period alone), and still ended up beating the Blues in the shootout. And with that, Jonathan Quick matches the franchise's all-time goalie shutouts mark with his 32nd, tying him with Rogie Vachon.

And on ring night...

Meh. I get my horns through Goal Horn Master. Nothing special here, really...

Yeah, the closest thing I can think of to exploiting an inefficiency is Detroit mining the European leagues deeper than anyone else did, but that's not really about statistics, that's just good scouting. Of course, just like Beane's discoveries, everyone caught up to them and now their drafting and development is unspectacular.

Stan Bowman had an unorthodox draft this summer where he didn't draft a single player out of major-junior: all USHL, Junior A, Minnesota high schools, Europe, and for reasons unexplained, the third-tier U.S. junior league. The idea would seem to be that they retain college eligibility and will have more time to develop in the NCAA, primed to ascend as a developmental league, before their service time starts. It could be a clever move or it could be the luxury of having the time and resources to fart around. Time will tell.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ignoring a major section of available players sounds like a bad idea. The Sabres went on something like a 30-1 streak of drafting only North American players circa 2010; their scouting department was gutted, so they sent almost no scouts to Europe. Didn't really work out for them...

Stan Bowman had an unorthodox draft this summer where he didn't draft a single player out of major-junior: all USHL, Junior A, Minnesota high schools, Europe, and for reasons unexplained, the third-tier U.S. junior league. The idea would seem to be that they retain college eligibility and will have more time to develop in the NCAA, primed to ascend as a developmental league, before their service time starts. It could be a clever move or it could be the luxury of having the time and resources to fart around. Time will tell.

Don Cherry hasn't gone off about that yet?

And yeah, thanks for adopting the Isles as your 2nd team, everyone. Hope they continue to keep this up, as I've absolutely loved the way they've been playing with this hot start.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Don Cherry hasn't gone off about that yet?

The Blackhawks aren't the Maple Leafs or Bruins, so he doesn't care.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm feelin' the Isles as this year's Board Darlings. Move over, Blue Jackets.

ZdWPSmu.gif

Good. Being everyone's second favorite team means we're a non-threat.

I'd rather be the team people fear on the schedule.

PvO6ZWJ.png

A little aside for a picture from battles past.

idxdl3.jpg

New York and Montreal, 1957. It makes me wonder if the players were enjoying Lucky Strikes between shifts. Furthermore, the old three-piece suit has been replaced by beer in 16 ounce plastic cups and nondescript white guys in North Face as far as the eye can see.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

A little aside for a picture from battles past.

idxdl3.jpg

New York and Montreal, 1957. It makes me wonder if the players were enjoying Lucky Strikes between shifts. Furthermore, the old three-piece suit has been replaced by beer in 16 ounce plastic cups and nondescript white guys in North Face as far as the eye can see.

The lack of team colours in the crowd is quite refreshing. The players' equipment especially their pads are less pronounced also. Nice pic.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

So does Sabres-Panthers get its own thread, or should we just discuss it here?

It's not that special. If that game gets its own thread, it'd be for all the wrong reasons.

Foghorn-Leghorn-Thats-a-joke-son-You-mis

I didn't watch the game but man the Sharks bottom 6 is a huge tire fire. Injuries deserve most of the blame, but maybe if the team signed real players and not scrubs in the offseason, we could withstand it a little more. Scott did have a nice hit knocking out Grabovski cold.

The Sharks didn't really look all that bad, despite being outshot 45-23. The Islanders are clicking right now. It was a back and forth game, wide open pace for the most part. Burns is looking good back on defense. Also really liking Mueller and what he's done early in the season on defense. He also had an assist. Stalock made some incredible saves to keep Shark in the game. Halak bested him in the shootout though.

Archived