The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

The things with San Jose/Buffalo is ironic, considering Joe Thornton's first game with the Sharks, they hammered an emerging Buffalo team 5-0 and Nabokov/Toskala (remember him, Shark fans)? had a combined shutout.

Hell, the 71-loss Sharks beat a Buffalo team that had Lafontaine/Mogilny/Andreychuk/Hawerchuk.

It's like the opposite of how the Penguins NEVER win at the Shark Tank.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben Scrivens is one of my favorite goalies around the NHL and I want him to succeed. I like that he's doing the series of masks for mental health awareness. That's a nice gesture.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bobrovsky out two weeks with a broken finger sustained in practice. That's the second hand injury sustained in practice and in keeping with the civil war theme at all costs I'm choosing refer to these injuries as "Friendly Fire".

So before this season the Blue Jackets lost Brandon Dubinsky and Boone Jenner for extended periods of time. Nathan Horton might never play again because his back is falling apart. Ryan Murray missed six games and has shown to be injury prone early in his very promising career. Curtis McElhinney, the now starter, was out as recently as four days ago. The California road trip was brutal - Matt Calvert’s now on IR, Cam Atkinson got kicked in the eye with a skate in Anaheim (he's okay thank god), and Nick Foligno was knocked unconscious by Jeff Carter and an official’s ass. Now this Bobrovsky thing.

I said they'd need to tread water until they get Dubinsky, Murray, and Jenner back, but treading water is very difficult when you lose your starting G for two weeks. They're barely icing two lines of NHL talent at this point.

Maybe there’s something to building an arena on the old site of the Ohio Penitentiary where 322 inmates died in a fire, plus over 300 electric chair executions. This team is cursed.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Blackhawks are starting a goalie who made the NHL out of the glorified beer league that is the Southern Professional Hockey League and yet he would have a 1.000 save percentage through his first two games if not for shorthanded breakaways. Meanwhile, the Hawks have a league-leading 38 shots per game and yet none of them ever go in the net. Bizarro Hawks.

Yes. Quick math says we're on pace for 6660 goals, up ever so little (yet ever so much) from last year's 6573. I don't expect this to hold, though; we should be in the NHL's comfortable rut of every game being a 3-2 shootout win by Valentine's Day and that'll be that for another year.

That scoring increase is even more impressive when you consider that the Sabres have scored fewer goals to start the season than any team since 1936. They had a franchise low 10 shots last night. Franchise low for a team founded in 1970. Maybe this should go in the Connor McDavid thread.

At least we have a really cool Tim Hortons opening tomorrow.

So tonight Ottawa's finally running the Hoffman-Lazar-Stone line all of us fans were calling for since the beginning of the season.

I seems like that line should have some great chemistry, probably could score a goal or two tonight if we can solve our problem of not being able to score on backups.

CBJ Injury Update: Anisimov, Calvert, Dubinsky, Foligno, Horton, Jenner, Letestu, Wisniewski, Bobrovsky

That's 7 of their top 9 forwards, plus a top 4 defenseman, plus their starting goaltender. Every team has injuries, but it's usually not this swift and not as damaging to the best on a team.

WTF did we ever do to anyone?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Since when did Ottawa make WWE's Adam Rose's theme their goal song for 2014? If it's not it exactly, it's damn close.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Buffalo is still freaking awful. SALVAGED A POINT, GOT 2 GOALS ON BOSTON! blew 3rd period lead, lose in OT to Marchand.

Pittsburgh on Saturday- oh god.

Seriously, when Buffalo plays Dallas later this season, I think they'll get to 10 goals on us.

We are pitiful, poor, and pathetic.

AND SOMEHOW WE BEAT THE SHARKS IN THE SHARK TANK!

I don't get it. Everytime we play the Ducks, Buffalo plays scaredy hockey. Still Mighty can attest to this- SABRES HANDING OUT 2-GOAL GAMES AND HAT TRICKS TO ANAHEIM LIKE IT'S DOLLA-DOLLA BILLS PLAYA

Hat trick to Getzlaf last year, Hat trick to Perry this year, Wild Bill's first 2 goals.... my freaking god, this team sometimes has no stones.

At what point is enough enough? I've been a Buffalo fan for over 25 years and I'm starting to wonder how much longer I can stay freaking loyal to these bums? Even the 2002-2004 bankruptcy years, they salvaged 2 decent records.

Archived