The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a disaster. Everybody's injured, they're playing two full lines of AHLers and a defensive pairing of AHLers, Curtis McElhinney is confirming what we all thought a year ago - that he sucks and can't carry a team if Bobrovsky goes down.

Even when they get healthy they're going to be chasing the season. This completely sucks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is a disaster. Everybody's injured, they're playing two full lines of AHLers and a defensive pairing of AHLers, Curtis McElhinney is confirming what we all thought a year ago - that he sucks and can't carry a team if Bobrovsky goes down.

Even when they get healthy they're going to be chasing the season. This completely sucks.

I know it's early and you don't want to throw the whole thing down the drain, but I heard this discussed elsewhere and thought it was interesting.

Right now, the Blue Jackets are 29th in the league, only one point better than the Sabres. So they'd be in line for the #2 pick, and possibly the #1 pick. You like the Blue Jackets young, rising core of player when healthy? Imagine if they could add Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel to the mix. That could really vault Columbus forward.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I know it's early and you don't want to throw the whole thing down the drain, but I heard this discussed elsewhere and thought it was interesting.

Right now, the Blue Jackets are 29th in the league, only one point better than the Sabres. So they'd be in line for the #2 pick, and possibly the #1 pick. You like the Blue Jackets young, rising core of player when healthy? Imagine if they could add Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel to the mix. That could really vault Columbus forward.

That would be nice to have one of those guys except for having to sit through a miserable season when we thought we were done with sitting through miserable seasons. It's one thing to expect to be bad, but it's worse when you thought things were looking up and be bad. However, I don't think they're bad enough when they get their full team back.

I think what will happen is the injured come back, the team plays as expected, and they finish ~6 points out of the playoffs, and we'll look back on this plague as the reason they missed out. Or who knows they go on a tear for the third straight season and make the playoffs again (they were 5-10 last year and 6-12-4 in 2012-2013 when they finished tied for 8th), but I'm getting really tired of counting on turnarounds and playing with tiny margins of error.

Bobrovsky might play on Friday. I hope Jarmo is looking for a backup goalie.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Islanders have already matched last year's November win total. If they can win five of their next nine, they will equal their combined November win total from 2010-2013.

How's Halak playing?

He had a shaky start but has been great lately. Two straight shutout against the mighty Coyotes and Avalanche. Looked terrific last night.

Is there a term for a team that lets all your biggest rivals beat them all the time, but doesn't let your team beat them at all, just to give your rivals a reason to gloat?

In the past I've always just called them useless. The Pittsburgh Steelers are the only example I can think of right now. They always beat the Bengals, but in the rare cases when I need them to pull out a win they lose.

They don't win for you, and they beat you when you so they're useless.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Milan Lucic is downright terrible. Nothing but a glorified fourth liner. Yuck.

EDIT: As I type that, Milan Lucic coasts into the defensive zone and covers no one. Way to go, Milan! I'm glad that $6 million in cap space your contract eats up is going towards...something...

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Yeah, what McCarthy said.

Plus, we've been here before. In 2009, the Jackets finally made the playoffs. In 2010, they ended up with the 4th pick. Sure, that pick was Ryan Johansen, but it took five years to get back to the playoffs after talking about how bright the future was and how cool it was that everyone on that '09 team hadn't peaked yet. The market can't afford it. I'm just so beyond losing that it's... just no.

But also, the team's talented enough that when guys start coming back that they'll win and start to chase down a spot — or, at least, finish in the purgatory of never being in a playoff spot but also not holding a top-six/eight pick. Which does nothing for you.

6fQjS3M.png

Boy, that escalated quickly.

It's more fun to let the Maple Leafs win in November and watch them struggle when the calendar changes.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

strombo.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

George Stroumboulopoulos

I just wanted to remark that I stopped watching HNIC (after 34 years of loyal viewership) because of this putz. He's unappealing to look at (seriously he's got a face for radio not TV) and he has horrible verbal skills. (He mumbles when he talks and talks so fast Its irritating. There is a reason that his show on CNN got cancelled after 3 episodes and the only reason he has a show on the CBC is because it manages to draw slightly better ratings than a test pattern). I stopped listening to CFNY the Edge back in the 90s because of him and now he makes his way to a show I used to love.

Pfft. Seriously because of this guy (and the unappealing losers over at Sportsnet) I ended up ordering the NHL Centre Ice package and now watch games from Foxsports Carolina and Foxsports Southwest.

It was the best damned decision I ever made.

Whenever I see Strombo as the host of HNIC:

hdYqvik.png

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

So have the rules changed this year because it seems like the scoring has gone up in the few games I've seen?

Edit:also why can't the NHL do what the NFL dose after OT and call it a tie, SOs seem like a waste of time.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Archived