The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we're talking about borderline Hall of Famers, should Theo Fleury get in? He's one of my favorite former players and I admire his intensity. It's a darn shame drugs derailed his career.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/igMKg0OSpmrnJ1MgHe3uzfXyuA6EwmZh2sjrS1XSgw0r-xj0NPsspy9crQ-MsOCRlzwpBfmb-vJGTnQtQG4TvqV-6EOWeB0IInWGf4Rq=w404-h323-nc

Edit: Won't let me embed the image for some reason.

Watching the Kings-Ducks preseason game, and noticing the apparent-new lightning effects for Staples Center this year. The rink lights are on but all others are dimmed, so on TV, you can only see the 1st 5-6 rows in the stands.

So the Kings are trying to mimic Chicago's lightning effects at the UC, and copycat that of their inner-arena siblings, the Lakers.

That effect has been standardized at Staples this year, Clippers games are going to utilize it too.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Since we're talking about borderline Hall of Famers, should Theo Fleury get in? He's one of my favorite former players and I admire his intensity. It's a darn shame drugs derailed his career.

Speaking as a Calgarian, Theo's not good enough for the HOF with the background that comes with his name and he's never even been mentioned in Calgary as a potential candidate. Just Iggy.

The Flames might honour him eventually, but the common thought is that they want to make sure that he's completely over the hump.

IEI5Tg1.png

I want the Flames to do well again because their faithful have suffered through what's been their worst run in Calgary, they have some promising youngsters, and a high Canadian tide raises all boats. Unfortunately, they are run by an idiot.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Watching the Kings-Ducks preseason game, and noticing the apparent-new lightning effects for Staples Center this year. The rink lights are on but all others are dimmed, so on TV, you can only see the 1st 5-6 rows in the stands.

So the Kings are trying to mimic Chicago's lightning effects at the UC, and copycat that of their inner-arena siblings, the Lakers.

That effect has been standardized at Staples this year, Clippers games are going to utilize it too.

I will say that Kings games always were way too bright in person. You tended to be more drawn to drunk tools a few rows over than the rink at times.

VmWIn6B.png

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone on these boards hate Shane Doan?

I can't speak for "everyone," just myself, but I loathe players who are celebrated for their accident of birth more than their accomplishments. Dustin Brown and the Staals are my other bugbears in this regard. Almost everything Shane Doan does is framed in the context of being a Great Canadian, but what kind of Great Canadian threatens to retire if his team moves to Canada? And why is his longevity with one franchise celebrated when the location of that franchise has allowed him to hide in plain sight and compile points on go-nowhere teams? Where's the honor in that? Also, he's a dirty player who hides behind Jesus, a fortunate relative rarity in the NHL such that when it does rear its ugly head, you're that much more reminded of how reprehensible it is.

In the "Admiral Special", the Panthers and Predators are playing two today in Nashville.

Can't ever recall teams doing a split-squad doubleheader during the preseason. Interesting to see if this idea takes off around the league....

It's been going on for years, Sens have had two already this preseason...

So, the Flames spent part of practice today working on fighting technique.

Must have been Burke's idea because, TruculenceTM.

Looks like another long winter in Calgary.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So, the Flames spent part of practice today working on fighting technique.

Must have been Burke's idea because, TruculenceTM.

I'm imagining McGrattan and Bollig rolling up their sleeves as the theme from Rudy plays in the background; Hartley stands on the bench, addressing everyone to gather around. The first tussle is your typical scrap, mostly some random jersey latching and selective punches. Hartley breaks it up, orders the arena PA to increase the volume of track 6 on the Rudy score, and instructs the two men to go again. This time, with Sean Astin's 'can-do' mentality in their hearts, Bollig bloodies McGrattan, opening a small cut above his eye.

The sight of blood sparks something wild in those watching. Devin Setoguchi playfully shoves Backlund; Wideman slaps Brodie on the ear. Out of nowhere, Clint Malarchuk is seen breaking through the grasp of several security guards. Wearing only golf shoes and a 1998 Florida Marlins ski cap, Malarchuk nimbly strides across the ice surface. As he leaps into the air, soaring with all the majesty of a scarred, bloodwrath-laden piece of hockey beef jerky, he shouts 'MORTAL KOMBATTT' as his flying high kick crushes into the temple of an unsuspecting Smid.

Bedlam is the order of the day. With Jerry Goldsmith still blasting through every house speaker, no man is safe as fights emerge with no feasible order or purpose. Bollig plucks the eyeball from McGrattan's skull, his screams inaudible against the blaring music. Sean Monahan is seen openly weeping as he desperately crawls from a pile of punching, kicking bodies.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

A more apt question is why he is hated when Iginla isn't. Swap the cities they have primarily played in and the opinion would be different, guaranteed. Both have the same on ice demeanor and only one has forced his team into a terrible trade.

Alternate answer: the hockey knowledge here is more amusing than informing.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no issue with Shane Doan. There again I have a semi-soft spot for him because he was one of my key pieces that helped my team win the cup in my FHL I was a part of. As for the on-ice player, it's the same question I ask about Dustin Brown. I really don't get the constant hate. Mind you I stay away from sports media in general so I am not subjected to wank pieces on them like we get with Tebow, Lebron and the Mannings.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Also, even in the antipathy-laced world of hockey fandom, people tend not to hate one of the best players of a generation. Don't you dare talk crap about our aptitude when you're over here trying to draw any parallel you can between Jarome Iginla and a gussied-up third-liner. Honestly now. What's the difference between Jarome Iginla and Shane Doan? Two hundred and six goals, three hundred and five points.

Alternate answer: the hockey knowledge here is more amusing than informing.

I mean I was going to address this but...

Also, even in the antipathy-laced world of hockey fandom, people tend not to hate one of the best players of a generation. Don't you dare talk crap about our aptitude when you're over here trying to draw any parallel you can between Jarome Iginla and a gussied-up third-liner. Honestly now. What's the difference between Jarome Iginla and Shane Doan? Two hundred and six goals, three hundred and five points.

...that sums it up nicely. Comparing Shane Doan to Jarome Iginla is just ridiculous. Doubly so after playing the "hockey knowledge" card.

Speaking of Dustin Brown, why does he get a lot of hate here but PK Subban doesn't? PK is obviously the better player, but style/antics wise they are pretty similar

At the end of the day? Being a better player is pretty much the answer. People are willing to let more stuff slide if you produce on the ice.

Archived